starting strength gym
Page 1 of 53 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Adam Skillin's Minimalist Training Log

Default Adam Skillin's Minimalist Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    New year, new log. Moving on from my log in the competitive sub-forum because competition is not in my foreseeable future. All for good reasons. Life has been incredibly good to me lately, but has not allowed me to maintain the kind of training schedule I'd need in order to ready myself appropriately for competition. So here I am. The lifting I do manage will be on a 3 (often compressed down to 2) day/week schedule.

1/4/2018

Squat: 315x8, 295x8x2
    Bench: 205x8, 195x8x2

Good, but mysterious, reasons.

glad to hear that life is good!!

You may find that less is more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Good, but mysterious, reasons.
    Ha! Not so much mysterious as mundane. Demand for my time is just very high in all the right ways (personal and professional). If you followed my Instagram, you'd already know none of this, because I don't know how to use Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Ha! Not so much mysterious as mundane. Demand for my time is just very high in all the right ways (personal and professional). If you followed my Instagram, you'd already know none of this, because I don't know how to use Instagram.
    It's okay, I'm still trying to figure it out.

This looks interesting, seeing busy people continuing their training despite time-limitations is very motivational for me. Will you have a set routine (i.e. Bench/Squat one day Press/DL another) or just wing it for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    This looks interesting, seeing busy people continuing their training despite time-limitations is very motivational for me. Will you have a set routine (i.e. Bench/Squat one day Press/DL another) or just wing it for a while?
    Hi, Gibby. Good question. I have a program written out for 3 days a week. I also have established a pretty set way of adjusting down to 2 when necessary. So, if I get to have 3 days in the gym, I'll do:

Monday - Squats (higher reps starting with 8's), Bench (higher reps starting with 8's)
    Wednesday - Light Squat Variant, Press, optional accessory/-ies
    Friday - Squats (lower reps, starting with 4's), Bench (lower reps, starting with 4's), Deadlifts

When I have to miss a day, I'll eliminate "Wednesday" and shift things to either Monday/Thursday or Tuesday/Friday. I'll skip the light squat altogether, move the presses to the Thursday/Friday session, and modify the second bench press workout for the sake of time and the fact that that workout now contains both press and bench. So basically, those weeks will end up looking something like this:

Monday: Squat (8's for now), Bench (8's for now)
    Thursday: Squat (4's for now, may drop a set or 2 if necessary), Press, Deadlift, and something bench-related if time permits

I have this set up as an 8-week program. I'll evaluate where I stand at the end and decide where to go next at that time.

Looks very solid I'll be following your progress, with a view to maybe run this kind of programming in the future! It'd fit my schedule well (two or three 60 minute slots a week to train). As a novice I think I can just go in and do a flexible LP for now though.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Looks very solid I'll be following your progress, with a view to maybe run this kind of programming in the future! It'd fit my schedule well (two or three 60 minute slots a week to train). As a novice I think I can just go in and do a flexible LP for now though.
    Yes, I would agree that there are definitely, definitely better ways to deal with things in the case of a time-constrained novice.

Page 1 of 53 1231151 ... LastLast