Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: From Weak 40 year old to Starting Strength Samurai

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    SAT Feb 24th. BW 82.4kg

SQ 95kg 3x5
    BP 60kg 3x5

Good AM workout today, with new PB’s in both lifts. Weekly 2.5kg increases for squats is working out well. It felt heavy but never felt like I’d fail a rep. Bench too was solid and no trouble. Felt satisfying to bench a plate! Not much compared to the numbers I see here but it’s good progress at 1.25kg increases per bench session. Session cut short due to PTA meeting at kids school. Will do deadlifts with some assistance tomorrow.

TUE Feb 27th BW 82.2kg

SQ 77.5kg 3x5
    OHP 41.25kg 3x5
    DL 100kg 1x5

Squats were easy, light day today. Press was good for the first two sets, the last rep of the final set was a looong grind but there was no way I was letting it come down without getting to the top first. Maybe the last fail I gave up too early. Deadlifts were pretty sloppy. I filmed it from the side and at 100kg and it seems my lumbar spine is a little rounded. I wore a belt which I don't usually do and it actually felt a little odd. Anyway, deadlifts need some technical work getting my lower back set.

THUR Mar 1st BW 81.8kg

SQ 87.5kg 3x5
    BP 62.5kg 3x5

Tuesday's deadlifts took their toll, was pretty exhausted all day Wednesday. Good sleep last night so felt much better today and the workout was good. Might be time to deadlift just once a week I think. Squats were fine, form was better but scratchy on a couple of reps with a bit of knee cave. Bench was OK but bar was slow going up on last reps of sets 2&3. Needed 5 mins rest between them too. Bench is moving up in 1.25kg increments. Not sure how much longer that'll last, might have to drop it back to .625 like the press shortly.

SAT Mar 3rd BW 82.8kg

SQ 97.5kg 4,4,3 + 80kg 1x5
    OHP 41.875kg 5,4,3 + 35 kg 1x8
    DL 102.5kg 2x4

Well, what can I say? Disappointing results today. The squat felt heavy from the moment it came off the rack. The first 4 reps of set 1 were with good form - I was happy about that - but on rep 5 there was no bounce out of the hole. Sets 2 & 3 weren't too bad either, with reasonable form (little or no knee cave for me). I'm thinking I have to stay tighter the whole time, I'm not sure. It could be a mental problem as I start to hit weights that force me to grind a few reps. The press was OK but my form is not perfect and it tells. Maybe I was tired from squats. Did a good back off set of 8 with good form. As for the deadlift, my grip started to weaken and I felt my back rounding the 3rd & 4th rep. I actually gave it a second shot but the second set was the same.

Now, for excuses. Had a headache all day, got bad hayfever so didn't feel too strong before the workout, but I'll be back for more Monday and try again at the squats. Gonna reread some articles and listen to some podcasts to keep me motivated. I'll put the links here in case anyone else might be looking for ways to push when the weights get heavy at the end of LP.

Barbell Logic Episode 27 - Embracing the Grind
    Barbell Logic Podcast - Episode 27 - Embracing the Grind | Starting Strength Online Coaching

The Art of Manliness - Embracing the Grind
    Barbell Weightlifting Tips — Embracing the Grind | The Art of Manliness

MON Mar 5th BW 82.8kg

SQ 82.5kg 3x5
    BP 63.75kg 3x5

After getting a form check on the the forum, I decided to reset by dropping 15kg from the squat. Focused on the keeping knees out hard, but there's still a hint of my right knee caving as I hit the bottom. Not sure why or how to completely eliminate it. I'll keep trying though. Bench was good. No wonder the last bench workout was heavy, I jumped 2.5kg instead of 1.25kg.

SUN Mar 11th BW 82.8kg

SQ 82.5kg 3x5
    OHP 40kg 5,4,4
    DL 90kg 1x5

Not a bad session, coming back from a missed workout last week due to the flu and got was down in Okinawa for a couple of days for a wedding and got back at 1am this morning. Hardly ate all day so by the third set of squats I was a bit wobbly on my feet. Had a feeling I'd fail the press, there was nothing in the tank and I was light headed. Should've taken a bit of weight off coming back the flu. Two sessions left before I head overseas for work. Got a gym lined up so I can keep going. Don't wanna take two weeks off

TUE Mar 13th BW 83.2kg

SQ 85kg 3x5
    OHP 40kg 3x5 + 35kg 1x8

Still a little weak but getting back to 100% and the sets were solid for both squats and press. Used the elastic to help me keep my knees shoved out and there was much less knee cave today. Also doing some exercises for adductors with the elastics to strengthen them to assist.
    Last edited by samuraimilkman; 03-13-2018 at 03:42 AM.

SAT Mar 17th. BW ??

SQ 85kg 3x5
    BP 60kg 3x5. 62.5kg 1x3
    Chin ups 4,4

A bit tired & jet lagged - overseas on a work trip - but gotta be consistent so joined a local gym and glad I did. Squats were solid with good form, but I ran out of energy(small brekky) so benches were heavy

MON Mar 19th BW ??

SQ 85kg 3x5
    OHP 40kg 3x5
    DL 100kg 1x5

Stuck to 85kg for squats to work on form. No knee cave to be seen so I'll increase at the next workout. No incremental plates here in the gym so I stuck to 40kg. Might give 42.5kg a crack next time but the jump is probably too much.

starting strength coach development program
    WED Mar 21st BW ??

SQ 87.5kg 3x5
    BP 62.5kg 3x5
    Dips 5,5,5

No dramas on squats. Bench was fine despite a hiccup unracking the bar on the second set.

Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast