Thread: From Weak 40 year old to Starting Strength Samurai

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    FRI Mar 23rd BW ???

SQ 87.5kg 3x5
    OHP 40kg 3x5
    DL 102.5kg 1x5

Stuck with the same weights on squat & press. Working on form on squat and there are no incremental plates for press. I didn't feel up to 42.5kg. Made the 102.5kg deadlift after missing a couple of weeks ago. Haven't videod for form checks but will do that when I get back home next week.

MON Mar 26th. BW ???

SQ 90kg 3x5
    BP 62.5kg 3x5
    Dips 6,6,6

Final workout away from home. It’s been good working out in a gym. Squats felt fine. Haven’t videod for a while so worried about form though knee cave seems to have been minimal. Looking forward to the next workout back at home on Thursday.

THUR Mar 29th BW 83.4kg

SQ 90kg 3x5
    OHP 40kg 3x5
    Curls 22.5kg 2x8

Back home after two weeks overseas. Had a 10 hour flight and was awake almost 20 hours yesterday, and haven't eaten a great deal today. Slept OK but still a bit tired though I didn't think it would affect me too much. I was a bit wrong there. Squats were OK first set, harder 2nd set and I was just feeling really weak and lethargic for the 3rd. There was hardly any bounce out of my final rep. I hope it's just because I was tired as I was feeling good away from home in the gym a few days ago. Presses were tough as well as could be expected after the squats. Form was decent and never at risk of failing but there were a few grinders.

SAT Mar 31st BW 82.8kg

SQ 92.5kg 5,5,4
    BP 62.5kg 3x5

Bit disappointing to fail the last rep but there was nothing in the tank. Haven't eaten much for a couple of days so had little energy and body weight has dropped 600g. The last rep I just couldn't get tight and felt like the bar was collapsing me. Bench was hard but managed OK. The last rep was slow but moving the whole way. Gotta get back to my regular diet. Have order some rubber matting to squat on so looking forward to that arriving next week, should help with grip on the floor. It's bit slippery at times on the wood with all the pollen around here.

MON Apr 2nd BW 83.4kg

SQ 92.5kg 3x5
    OHP 40.3kg 3x5
    DL 80kg 1x5
    Curls 23.125kg 3x8

No dramas today, made everything with no near misses. Getting back to my regular diet and bodyweight is maybe rising a little so that seems to be helping. Gonna post a form check for the squats as I'm getting back to my miss at 97.5kg some weeks back

THUR Apr 5th BW 83.0kg

SQ 95kg 3x5
    BP 63.75kg 5,5,4

Nice to squat on my new rubber mats today. Kept focused on my cues and managed to complete the sets. First set was the hardest. I imagine this is a mental issue. A little disappointed with bench. The last rep of set 2 was a grind but I managed it but needed 5 minutes rest before I felt ready for the 3rd set. Checked the video and the last rep I grinded for almost 5 full seconds but it didn't wanna go up today. Sleeping OK, eating well but not enough perhaps. Steak tonight!

SAT Apr 7th BW 84.0kg

SQ 97.5kg 3x5
    OHP 40.625kg 3x5
    DL 105kg 1x5
    Curls 23.125kg 3x8

Wow! Made the squats, not that I'm surprised but I'm just really pleased. This weight had been weighing on my mind for a few weeks. I've delved into the mental side of lifting heavier weights a bit and was able to have a good day without letting it 'weigh me down' all day. Focused on my cues - nipples to the floor, drive the hips - and not how heavy it felt and basically told myself I might make it, I might fail but I'm gonna keep trying I'll eventually get it, might be today, might be next time, might be the time after that.

Press was fine, last set was tough but made it OK. Deadlift was OK but I'm pretty sure my back is a little rounded. Need to film from a better angle and get a check

MON Apr 9th BW 83.8kg

SQ 100kg 4,3,3
    BP 63.75kg 3x5
    Dips 6,6,3

Missed the squats. Distracted and not enough food perhaps. Try again Wednesday. Made the bench which I was pleased about considering I got a painful cramp in my foot after the first set. Arms tired after squats so it was a struggle to get the dips done. Plans are to eat for the next two days.

WED Apr 11th BW 84.0kg

SQ 100kg 5,4,1
    90kg 1x5
    OHP 40.925kg 3x5
    Curls 23.75 2x10

Really happy to make the first set of squats. Almost made the second but there was no bounce on the last rep so not even a chance to grind it out. The last set I was toast. Quite worn out from getting back to classes this week so I'm gonna give 100kg another shot Saturday before thinking about a reset. Press was tough - tired from squats - but made it OK.

starting strength coach development program
    SAT Apr 14th BW 84.2kg

SQ 100kg 5,5,4
    BP 65kg 3x5
    DL 107.5kg 1x3 + 95kg 1x5

Heavy workout and a little disappointed about the squats but all the reps were pretty solid, just lost tightness at the end and couldn't bounce up at all. Time for a deload and I'll be increasing the weight only twice a week as I work my way back up, using a light day in the middle to give myself a bit more recovery time. Approaching the end of LP but want to milk it for all I can. Bench was heavy. Will be using .625kg weight increases from now on rather than 1.25kg. Filmed deadlifts from the side and back seemed to be set quite well with not too much rounding. Was too stuffed from heavy squats and heavy bench today to make the 107.5.

Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast