starting strength gym
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: A marathon swimmer lifts so he can swim long

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    It's a common reminder for many of us around here, longer than I've been around. And I had one of those squat sessions today myself.

It's true for all of the lifts. Although for heavy pulls (deadlifts, etc.), the first rep is the lie.

Keep at it!

So true, Bill!

Today's workout:

Squat (L): 2x5 @165#
    OHP (L): 2x5 @77#
    DL (H): 1x5 @225#

That DL was hard. My 1RM from several weeks ago (pre-Africa trip & sickness) is 250#. Thought I'd try 225#. Did it, but wow. Will do 230# next Wednesday.

Best song while lifting: "Never Let Me Go," by Depeche Mode (new album)
    Book read btwn sets: Viktimoj, de Julio Baghy (almost done)
    Radio listened to while writing this: Interview with Riley Gaines on WMAL, about her experience having victories stolen from her by that man who thinks he's a woman.

Back in the pool today. Been in a funk and out of the pool... /checks swim log/... holy shit, December 8th! Oy.

Swam 1500y on Tue and 1600y today. That Tue swim I jumped in and on lap 4 my left side cramped up, from triceps all the way down through the lats. I was having trouble raising my arms on the strokes. Then after the flip, the right side did the same. I stopped at the end and stretched a bit, then the rest of the workout was fine. Same today, only at lap 3 and it lasted maybe four or five strokes then over.

Learned on Tue that my favorite race, Swim the Suck, pushed their normal registration day from 1 Feb to first Saturday in April. I put off StS for a few years due to needing the money for tuition and dorms for our youngest. Well, our daughter surprised us a month ago, telling us she wanted to move back home for the next two years of school (cha-ching!). Didn't think I'd be able to swim since registration was past. But when I checked on Tuesday, I realized I still had time!

So, on Saturday, 8 April, I'll be sitting on my computer, waiting for noon, to register. (In past years, the swim has filled in only a couple hours!) w00t! Hopefully, Chattanooga, here I come!

Outstanding!

I do miss long workouts in a 50m pool. Not so much in a 25m pool, since it always felt like I was working more on turns than strokes. Open water was more enjoyable, although I never did more than 3.9km that way, always in lakes. But to have a downriver race, even at 10miles? That would be tough, but enjoyable at the same time. I did a few spring-time training swims in the Cumberland River in Clarksville, TN many moons ago. First upstream, then enjoy the ride back to the car. Those were always enjoyable.

Good luck getting your slot!

Thanks Bill. I love the Tennessee River. My first year (2012), the current wasn't too much, felt like it was all me. 2018 was more current, but they moved the finish farther down the river (so it's basically a 10.5 or 10.6 mile swim now), so spent more time in the water. Same in 2019. But still, I tell people who guffaw when I tell them I just swam 10 miles: All I did was lay down for 5 hours, swimming. It really is pretty comfortable, as long as I don't have a max course time or anything like that. I can swim for a long time as long as it doesn't have to be fast! I did 7.5 miles around Manhattan, then got pulled because I wasn't moving (much) for an hour (5 blocks in 57 minutes) as the current reversed (damn East River). So they offered me two options: quit or be moved up river about 1.5 miles, keep swimming but it doesn't count. Well, I didn't fly 5000 miles to just swim 2.5 hours, so I moved up, then swam another 7 hours (20 miles) and finished and got a DNF. (Didn't care.)

PhotoPreview.jpg
    Last edited by IronMike; 03-31-2023 at 06:20 PM.

Today was the first M day of this new program.

Squat (M): 3x5 @175#
    OHP (M): 3x5 @81#
    Chins w/straps: 8, 10, 10.

Nice and heavy.

Best song heard while lifting: "Late Night, Maudlin Street," by Morrissey.
    Book read and finished while lifting: Viktimoj, de Julio Baghy
    Show watched while writing this: American Idol from last Sunday (college daughter back home)

Today I was reminded of the rule I learned above: first set lies.

Squat (H): 4x5 @190#
    OHP (H): 4x5 @87.5#
    Chins: 3x10 w/straps

Arms are dead.

Had fun this weekend when my neighbor texted me a photo of a tree that blew down into my backyard. My BIL and I dealt with it when we got home. I sawed at the stump (it was half broken through) as he broke off smallish branches that were hanging over my fence. Got the tree sawed completely off then maneuvered the tree off my fence and the HOA's fence and into the back alley. No damage to my fence, thank goodness, and a nice little workout for myself.

Book read while lifting: Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card. (Family reading club recent pick.)
    Chore done between sets: Repot my juniper, which got blown off my deck in the recent crazy winds
    Show watched while writing this: The Five

Swam yesterday, an easy 2000: 500, 1000, 500.

Today light day except for deadlift.

Squat: 2x5 @170#
    OHP: 2x5 @80#
    DL: 1x5 @230#

Book read while lifting: Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card.
    Show watched while writing this: Rizzoli and Isles [horrible]

Swam yesterday 2100 and my arms were dead all day. Getting my endurance back.

Today medium day:

Squat: 3x5 @180#
    OHP: 3x5 @83#
    Chins: 8, 10, 10, with straps.

Tomorrow is the day registration opens for my favorite marathon swim, Swim the Suck. I have to be by the computer at noon ready with all the info they need, as that race is so popular it sells out quickly. Can't wait!

Book read while lifting: Ender's Game by Card.
    Best song while lifting: I'm torn btwn "Alison" by Everything But the Girl and "Yet Again" by Grizzly Bear.
    Mail received while lifting: One of my favorite "linguistics-y" books ever, Empires of the Word, by Nicholas Ostler, in a nice Folio Society edition.
    Last edited by IronMike; 04-10-2023 at 04:45 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Hurt today. Whoa!

Squat: 4x5 @195#
    OHP: 4x5 @90#
    Chins: 8, 10, 10 w/bands

All four of those squat sets lied!

I did successfully get into my favorite marathon swim, Swim the Suck. I think it sold out in 3-4 hours. It's very popular. Chattanooga, here I come (in October).

Book read between sets: Lone Women, by Victor LaValle.
    Drink drunk while writing this: Dark 'n' Stormy (made the wife a Gimlet).
    Show watched while writing: "The Five"

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast