starting strength gym
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: A marathon swimmer lifts so he can swim long

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    She can get away with it because she's, well, female. You can get away with it right now because it's pretty light. Just know going forward that you'll reach a point where just the squats won't be sufficient for your lower back.

Read about it here.
    Oh damn. Perfect article for this particular case. Danke.

Medium day today.

SQ: 220x5x2
    OHP: 77x5x4, 88x3x2
    CR: 4x10 @24kg kettlebell

Feeling better at having over 200# on my shoulders. Squat still scares the crap outta me. Calf raises felt good.

Already at almost 80k steps and its only day 6 of the week. That orienteering meet last Saturday and its 16k+ steps helped.

Songs this week: "The Summer of Hate," by The Dandy Warhols; "Messages" by Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark.
    Books this week: Haven't finished anything. Still reading The Once and Future King and my SIL's choice for the family book club, The Cuckoo's Calling, by Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling).
    Movie watched while writing this: "I Know What You Did Last Summer." (If it is October, my wife demands scary movies in this household.)

re: "Messages" - such a great tune, off a great debut album. As soon as I read your entry, I could hear the intro synth line in my head. I'm gonna have to pull that vinyl out of the crate and give it a spin.

re: Squats - don't be scared, just have a healthy respect for them. Follow the form as described and you'll be fine, even at the weights that feel like they're going to shove you to the core of the Earth as soon as you stand them it up from the hooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    re: "Messages" - such a great tune, off a great debut album. As soon as I read your entry, I could hear the intro synth line in my head. I'm gonna have to pull that vinyl out of the crate and give it a spin.

re: Squats - don't be scared, just have a healthy respect for them. Follow the form as described and you'll be fine, even at the weights that feel like they're going to shove you to the core of the Earth as soon as you stand them it up from the hooks.
    So true, Bill, re: OMD's debut.

Also so right about squats. Whenever I have the weight on my shoulders I take a couple seconds to respect the weight, then stress my transabdomis against the belt, think about form as I go down, then push up through my heels. So far works every time. And, a few years ago I did fail in the down position and fell forward, weight catching on the arms. I also respect the rack!

Good week.

30 Oct. (H)
    SQ: 245x4x3
    OHP: 82.5x3, 93.5x3, 100x1, 105x2
    CR: 8,8,6,6 w/24kg kettle

The 105# OHP was "max aim for 1" but I managed 2 which is nice. Stupidly did single-leg calf raises because my wife does them. Same weight. She does 4x10 or more "if I don't get bored." Holy shit. Hurt. Bought two small bags of candy for Halloween. "Remember, Mike, last year only a few came by."

31 Oct.
    No one. At all. Stupid kids.

1 Nov (L, DL-H)
    SQ: 200x5
    OHP: 82.5x 8, 4
    DL: 265x3

That DL is feeling heavy. But doable.

3 Nov (M)
    OHP: 77x5x3, 88x3x3
    CR (both legs) 4x10 w/24kg kettle

Gotta get stronger in my calves before I retry the singles.

Music this week: Really liking IDLES: "Dancer," "Beachland Ballroom," "Grounds." Also heard "Bite My Head Off," by the Rolling Stones for the first time. Very good. "Foundations," by the lovely Kate Nash.
    Books this week: Still listening to The Once and Future King. 33 hours. Only about 45% in. The Cuckoo's Calling, by Galbraith (really JK Rowling). Really good detective novel. Currently reading Earthly Powers by Anthony Burgess. Masterful.

Monday, 6 Nov.

SQ: 245x5x3
    OHP: 1RM attempt
    CR: 4x10 w/24kg kettle

Managed a 120# 1RM for my OHP. Back to my 1RM from before the summer.

Tue, did a short swim.

Wed, 8 Nov.

OHP: 80x3x3
    DL: 265x4

The DL was hard. Especially since I forgot to bring my belt. After lifting I swam 1500 yards.

Songs so far this week: "The Dreaming Moon," by the Magnetic Fields; "Holy Mountain," by Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds; ""She's Lost Control," by Joy Division.
    Books: Still reading Burgess's Earthly Powers and listening to The Once and Future King.
    Beer drunk while writing this: Old Stock Ale (2023) from North Coast Brewing.

Fri, 10 Nov.

OHP: 85x5x2, 96x3x4
    CR: 12, 12, 10, 10 (w/24kg kettle)

Still can't believe I'm okay with over 200# on my shoulders.

Sunday had a couple cocktails at a nice little lounge we found close to our home, then we had 5 Guys.

Mon, 13 Nov.

SQ: 250x3x3
    OHP: 85x5, 95x5, 102x5
    Arnold: 8 (w/15# dbs), 3x10 (w/20# dbs)
    Bent-arm plate raise: 25# plate: 4x8

The last set of the squat felt so strong! And next time I'll insert bent-over rows btwn OHP and the Arnolds.

Steps last week (Sun-Sat): 80,723
    Songs this week so far: "Nothing Matters," by the Last Dinner Party; "Broken," by Hot Chip; "Adored," by Royel Otis.
    Books: Finished Burgess's Earthly Powers (his best) and started reading No Country for Old Men. Still listening to The Once and Future King.
    Drink drunk while writing this: Averna bitters in a Fresca. Next up probably an Old Fashioned.

starting strength coach development program
    Light day on Wed, 15 Nov.

OHP: 78x10, 10, 4
    CR w/24kg kettle: 10, 3x10 w/20# ruck

First calf raise set figured the 10 was too easy, but didn't want to push it to 14 or 18 reps. Then I saw my ruck sitting there on the floor. Hmmm...definitely felt it for the final 3 sets. Will use the ruck for all from now on.

Had some stuff to do today after work so going to lift M day tomorrow morning. (Daughter & her wife coming tomorrow for Thanksgiving! She's got leave from the Army for a couple weeks.)

Songs: "Rimbaud Eyes," by Dum Dum Girls; "Pretty in Pink," The Psychedelic Furs (then listened to the entire album); "Heartbeats," by The Knife.
    Books: Finally finished the frigging long Once and Future King by T.H. White. Finished No Country for Old Men (two-day read, very short and very good). Started book #7 of the Murderbot books System Collapse.
    Beverage enjoyed while writing this: Starr Hill's Christmas Ale. Very yummy.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819