starting strength gym
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: A marathon swimmer lifts so he can swim long

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Definitely feeling those travel and sick weeks today.

Squat: 5x5 @165#
    OHP: 4x3 @96#, 3x1 @102#

One of the OHP warm-ups (5 x 70#) I did as push press; still learning the technique.

Book read between sets: Viktimoj, by Julio Baghy
    Listened to while lifting: The Lonesome Crowded West by Modest Mouse
    Show watched while writing this: The Five

Forgot about posting Wednesday. Was working on my final exam for a class I'm taking. Here it goes:

Squat (L): 3x5 @140#
    OHP (H): 1x3 @90#, 1x3 @102#, 1x1 @108, 1x1 @115 (push-press on that last one)
    Arnold Press: 15# db's, 4 x 10. Trying this out to supplement my OHP

Definitely felt those weeks off in that OHP.

Today though:

Squat (M): 4x5 @165#
    OHP (L): 1x9 @80# (very easy)
    DL: 5x5 @187.5#

DL was hard, but expected. Also, switched to trap bar; thought I'd try that for a while then go back to straight bar. OHP was light today and was programmed to be 3x3 @70% of a new 1RM I was programmed to do on Wed. But with being gone so long in Africa and sick, on Wed I just redid week 7. Next 1RM attempt for OHP will be in a month.

Book read between sets: Viktimoj, de Julio Baghy
    Best song listened to while lifting: "Razzmatazz" by Pulp
    Best song listened to while writing this: "Cowboy Nudes" by Geese
    Show my youngest home on spring break is watching while I'm typing this: Community
    Last edited by IronMike; 03-17-2023 at 03:18 PM.

Heavy squat and not supposed to be heavy OHP but dayam!

Squat: 5x4 @177#
    OHP: 3x3 @100#, 4x1 @105#

I'm thinking of changing up my OHP program. Maybe mirror what I'm doing with Squat or maybe back to 3x5, going up by 2.5# each time till I fail (so 7.5# a week). FWIW, my current Squat program is:

Week 1: 5x5 @70% of 1RM
    2: 5x4 @75%
    3: 5x3 @80%
    4: 5x5 @72%
    5: 5x4 @77%
    6: 5x3 @82%
    7: 5x4 @80%
    8: 5x3 @85%
    9: 5x2 @90% (then on day 3 do a 1RM)

I wonder if that is what I should do for OHP? I'm on week 9 of my 12 week OHP program, so maybe I'll change after the 1RM in week 12. Right now my 1RM for OHP is 120#, so that would be a new week 1 of 5x5 @84#. I think that's possible.

Goals for 2023:
    Squat: 265
    OHP: 135
    DL: 325

Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    Heavy squat and not supposed to be heavy OHP but dayam!

I'm thinking of changing up my OHP program. Maybe mirror what I'm doing with Squat or maybe back to 3x5, going up by 2.5# each time till I fail (so 7.5# a week). FWIW, my current Squat program is:

I wonder if that is what I should do for OHP? I'm on week 9 of my 12 week OHP program, so maybe I'll change after the 1RM in week 12. Right now my 1RM for OHP is 120#, so that would be a new week 1 of 5x5 @84#. I think that's possible.

Goals for 2023:
    Mike,

If you haven't run across Nick's article and video on Press programming, here they are:

Intermediate Programming for the Upper Body Lifts (article) - Intermediate Programming for the Upper Body Lifts | Nick Delgadillo

Press and Bench Press Programming – Getting and Staying Unstuck - Press and Bench Press Programming - Getting and Staying Unstuck | Nick Delgadillo

The concepts work very well, especially for those of us in our mid-50s. Another thing to keep in mind for us is that Intensity is king for all of the lifts, and for the presses, Frequency is a close second, Volume is a distant third. It looks like you have the frequency nailed for your OHP, but looking at your light Press day, 60% is probably way too light. Perhaps more like 85-90% will work for you (I find 90% keeps everything moving just fine, pressing twice a week as outlined in the 4-day Heavy/Light split example in BBRx), with a 3x5 for the Heavy day as well as the Light day, although if I'm feeling too beat up on that light day, I'll drop a set to 2x5.

Whichever route you take, keep at it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Mike,

If you haven't run across Nick's article and video on Press programming, here they are:

Intermediate Programming for the Upper Body Lifts (article) - Intermediate Programming for the Upper Body Lifts | Nick Delgadillo

Press and Bench Press Programming – Getting and Staying Unstuck - Press and Bench Press Programming - Getting and Staying Unstuck | Nick Delgadillo

The concepts work very well, especially for those of us in our mid-50s. Another thing to keep in mind for us is that Intensity is king for all of the lifts, and for the presses, Frequency is a close second, Volume is a distant third. It looks like you have the frequency nailed for your OHP, but looking at your light Press day, 60% is probably way too light. Perhaps more like 85-90% will work for you (I find 90% keeps everything moving just fine, pressing twice a week as outlined in the 4-day Heavy/Light split example in BBRx), with a 3x5 for the Heavy day as well as the Light day, although if I'm feeling too beat up on that light day, I'll drop a set to 2x5.

Whichever route you take, keep at it!
    Thanks so much for this Bill. Just read the article and going to listen to the second one tonight. I'm always on the search for OHP programming; I can't do bench press, unfortunately. I see in BBRx example 24-4 HLM Press only...hmmm...

Today was good, heavy OHP.

Squat (L): 3x5 @145#
    OHP (H): 1x5 @85#, 1x5 @100#, 1x3 @105#
    Arnold press w/20# db's: 4x10

Thanks to Bill, been reading through BBRx. On Monday I'm changing my workout thus:

Monday (H):
    Squat: 4x5 (run out to 1x5)
    OHP: 4x5 (run out to 1x5)

Wednesday (L):
    Squat: 2x5 or 3x3, 10% less than Monday's weight
    OHP: 2x5 or 3x3, 10% less than Monday's weight
    DL (H): 1x5

Friday (M):
    Squat: 2x5, 5% less than Monday's weight
    OHP: 2x5, 5% less

Will try this for a few cycles. If I'm getting nowhere, then maybe I'll try the Rep Progression in BBRx.

Book read between sets: BBRx by Sullivan & Baker
    Best song during workout: "Late Night, Maudlin Street," by Morrissey
    Radio listened to while writing this: Vince Coglianese on WMAL
    Goals for 2023:

Today was good. Next week I start the new program!

Squat (M): 4x5 @165#
    OHP (M): 3x8 @80#
    DL (H): 3x5 @200#

First attempt at next week will be:

Monday:
    Squat: 3x5 @185#
    OHP: 3x5 @100#

Wednesday:
    Squat: 1x5 @165#
    OHP: 1x5 @90#
    DL: 1x5 @225#

Friday:
    Squat: 2x5 @175#
    OHP: 2x5 @95#
    Ancillary exercise for OHP (Arnold press for now)

The next week Heavy day will be 3x3 with an increase of 10# (squat) and 5# (OHP). (Fourth week will be deload.)

I already changed things up. Here's the program I'm going to follow for a while:

Monday (heavy):
    Squat: 4x5
    OHP: 4x5
    Chins: 3x8-10

Wednesday (light):
    Squat: 2x5 @90% of Monday's weight
    OHP: 2x5 @90% of Monday's weight
    DL: 1x5 (heavy)

Friday (medium):
    Squat: 3x5 @95% of Monday's weight
    OHP: 3x5 @95% of Monday's weight
    Chins: 3x8-10

So today:
    Squat: 4x5 @185#
    OHP: 4x5 @85#
    Chins: 8, 10, 10 with straps

First set of squats I thought: uh-oh, this is hard. Maybe I should go down to 180#? But then I thought: It's supposed to be hard. The second set was smoother. Finished all well. Will do 190# next Monday.
    OHP was heavy. I think I'll go up by 2.5# each week instead of the planned 5#.

Show watched while writing this: The Five
    Book read between sets today: Viktimoj, de Julio Baghy. Still.
    Station listened to while lifting: The Independent FM

The first set is always a lie. If we dropped sets or reps based on how the first set felt, we'd never get anything done.

That HLM programming is good. I really enjoyed doing it, but found that for me personally, the volume eventually caught up, specifically the combined squat/deadlift once both were over 300lbs. It got to the point that simple things like tying my shoes on my day off had me hobbling off the chair for a minute or three until everything loosened up. It took awhile to realize that a 4-day split works really well, for me.

Run that HLM out as hard and far as it will go. It's good stuff.

Keep at it!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    The first set is always a lie. If we dropped sets or reps based on how the first set felt, we'd never get anything done.

Run that HLM out as hard and far as it will go. It's good stuff.

Keep at it!
    Thanks Bill. I'm definitely going to keep that "first set" rule in mind. And I intend on running HLM out until I don't progress, then I'll try the rep progression.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast