starting strength gym
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: A marathon swimmer lifts so he can swim long

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Light day yesterday except for deadlift.

SQ: 2x5 @185#
    OHP: 2x5 @85#
    DL: 1x5 @245#

Forgot to pack my damn sneakers, so lifted in my office shoes. Got knowing looks from the other guys in the gym. #WeveAllBeenThere

Then did a quiet, straight 2100 yards in the pool.

Today had a nice 3200 swim. 500 warm up, then 1000 w/fins, then 1500 with pull-buoy. Cooled down with a calm 200.

Book read while lifting yesterday: That Census Taker, by China Mieville
    Show watched while writing this: "The Five"

Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    Forgot to pack my damn sneakers, so lifted in my office shoes. Got knowing looks from the other guys in the gym. #WeveAllBeenThere
    Yep. And they all appreciate that you still got the work in, when so many would walk out shrugging "oh well."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Yep. And they all appreciate that you still got the work in, when so many would walk out shrugging "oh well."
    So true, Bill. But I don't quit.

In fact, reminds me of my swim around Manhattan. I flew all the way from Moscow and paid over $2K just for the pleasure of swimming 28.5 miles. Not to mention the $800 for boat gas. About 2 hours into the swim the current in the East River changed and I ended up swimming practically in place for 50 minutes (only made it 5 blocks). The race director gave me two choices: quit or be moved up a mile to just before the Harlem River and continue, but the swim wouldn't count. I didn't hesitate. I didn't fly 5000 miles to swim for two hours. So they moved me, and 20-ish minutes later when my kayaker caught up I restarted, and swam another 7+ hours/20 miles to finish and still get a DNF. #WorthIt

So a two-day post.

Saturday I did M day.

SQ: 3x5 @195#
    OHP: 3x5 @90#
    Rows: 3x5 @145#

Everything felt good, except the squat is getting heavy.

Today:

SQ: 4x5 @210# Oy!
    OHP: 4x5 @97.5# Managed it. 100# up next.
    Skipped the Row. My damn elbow arthritis has been bugging me

Music listened to while lifting today: All of Alanis Morissette
    Book read while lifting: In the Miso Soup, by Ryu Murakami (not that Murakami): creepy!
    Show watched while writing: "The Five"
    Last edited by IronMike; 05-18-2023 at 04:48 PM.

On the 16th I swam a nice 3200 yards, including 10x50 sprints. Felt really great.

Till the next morning, when my right hamstring felt pulled. Hurt all day, more so after sitting for a while. I dropped my lifting, mostly because the thought of heavy deadlift made me feel my hamstring popping. Didn't swim either. Only got about 5000 steps for the day (normally I average a smidge over 10,000 a day).

Today went and swam a solid 3500, the first 3000 straight. I have no problem with the distance, it's the boredom. Gotta put my mind on other things, the constant sameness of swimming in a concrete chlorinated tub just gets so boring after a few hours. (Did a 10-hr swim in Djibouti and holy crap, boooooring.) Today, my boredom was helped when a lovely Japanese lady got in the lane with me during the last 1000. :O Then we both hit the jacuzzi after laps and I got to see her without cap and goggles: very pretty.

Tomorrow will be M day and I'm going to try to do the lifts no matter what. For now, off to grab an Aleve.

Beer drunk while writing this: Hazy Like A Fox IPA, by New Realm.
    Book I would have read if I lifted yesterday: Sea of Tranquility, by Emily St. John Mandel.
    Show watched while writing this: "The Five"

So today went alright. Thought I'd have issues with my hamstring, but it felt okay.

SQ: 3x5 @190#
    OHP: 3x5 @92.5#
    Row: 3x5 @150#

Next week squat will be 215#. Here we go! The best I'd ever done with squat was 3x5 @225#

Best song while lifting: "Sitting On the Throne," by Delicious (RIP, Andy Rourke)
    Book read between sets: Sea of Tranquility, by Emily St. John Mandel

Yep, that was sad news this morning. But that meant that the entire workout's soundtrack was Smiths tunes. Can't go wrong with that.

Keep at it, Mike!

Truly, Bill. Been listening to The Smiths off and on since.

So yesterday had my first fail.

SQ: programmed for 4x5 @215#. I did 3, 4, 4, 4.
    OHP: 4x5 @100# Felt heavy but great to do it!

According to BBP, next Monday I should do 4x4 @220#. Here's hoping. (Yes, I know. Hope is not a COA.)

Have to go up to NJ again to look after my dad. Back on Thursday night late. Hoping the hotel has dumbbells. I can do L day in a hotel gym. Will be back in time to do M day in the home gym.

Bought my wife some kettlebells to fill in gaps (we had 25# then nothing till 45# and 54#). Adamant Fitness is local and we've bought lots of equipment/weights from them. Highly recommended and if you're local to the national Capital region, you can pick up to save delivery.

It happens, Mike. Don't dwell on it too much.

It seems like a recovery issue, since all four sets were short. The First Three Questions is always the best place to start.

What page in BBP is that reference? I did some scouring and couldn't find it. No matter, because that's the correct COA, but I need to tab it for myself.

Good luck with your Dad, then getting back and getting back on track.

starting strength coach development program
    Bill,

I see it on p259, in both Example 24-15 as well as under the section Running Out the Heavy Day.

Nothing good, fitness-wise, happened in NJ. By the time my kids and I were done with my dad, and then reported back to my sisters, it was well after 9pm. Oh well.

Today was programmed for Medium, so I did squat and OHP medium and since it's been about 10 days since I deadlifted, I deadlifted.

SQ: 3x5 @200#
    OHP: 3x5 @90#
    DL: 1x5 @250#

That last time I did DL was two Wed ago, at 245#. I was afraid today I wouldn't be able to manage even 240#. But 225# went up easily so I set it to 250#. Didn't go up easy, but the five went up. That's all that matters!

Best song listened to while lifting: "The Beachland Ballroom," by IDLES.
    Book read between sets: The Black Dahlia, by James Ellroy.
    Show watched while typing this & while my wife is making pork tenderloin: "Gutfeld"

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast