starting strength gym

Thread: Adam's Olympic Lifting

Default Adam's Olympic Lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So, I am back here, at the forums, after almost 10 years.

Many things have changed, but firstly, let me introduce myself (again).

--

My name is Adam.

After reaching something like 170x5 squat (in kgs), 195 kg deadlift and a really unimpressive bench on a SS/texas method as a novice guy, I was drawn to Olympic lifting. Fast forward 7 years or so, here I am.

I am a 35-year-old fairly regular guy from Prague, Czech Republic. I have a PhD in cell biology, and I work full-time as a research scientist in cancer immunology. I am also a dad to two boys (6 and 4) and I play the drums.

My training serves me as a physical maintenance and, I would say, a form of psychotherapy. I don't have the time or grit to train seriously. I do what I can, and I don't usually do what I can't do.

--

Currently, I weigh about 88-90 kilos. In the past, I was as heavy as 102. Stronger, fatter, unhappy.

My all-time PRs are, as for today, 100 kg in the snatch (which would not pass the judges, so let's say 98, which would), and 120 kg in the clean and jerk.
    I have also cleaned 121, jerked from racks 140, recently squatted 168 HB, and pulled 180 kilos.

I competed several times. My competition PRs are 91/116.

--

This training log would serve more as a diary. There is a bit of serious programming involved, at least from time to time, but as life gets in the way, I don't obsess over it.

Let this be an inspiration for fellow full-time working dads, and whoever else may read.

You're welcome here.

--

This is my Instagram profile, so you know I am indeed a real person: https://www.instagram.com/obradam/
    Last edited by Bobr; 09-08-2023 at 01:20 AM.

Week 04-09-2023 - 08-09-2023

I am currently at the end of general prep phase.

Last few weeks, I improved the numbers of my snatch seemingly from nothing (as I often notice it is), improving my all-time SN PR from 96 to 98 (strictly speaking), or 100 (if you would ignore a big elbow - but hey, it was overhead). I also improved my jerk from blocks by ten kilos (130 -> 140).

This week tho, I struggled a bit.

I was forced (by life) to train for 3 days consequentially.

Tuesday was fine.
    Did my 3 doubles of 89 kilo snatches with effort, but kept them very clean. Followed with 5s of 90x2 push presses and 120x2 (4s) snatch pulls. Then I did some dumbbell presses for ma' neglected chest.

Wednesday was not fine. I blame the squash game I played Tue evening (after training). It left my right ankle somewhat angry, and I was not able to get to a full front squat comfortably.
    In the end, I did my C&J singles (105/105/107/107) and they were not comfortable at all, but not hard strength-wise. Followed them by 130x3x3 HBBS and went home.

Thursday was in the mood to try to refine my snatch technique. I tried to pull with my ass more up in the air, making it easier to pull from the floor but screwed up with my second pull and catch. I was supposed to do six singles starting at 90 kilos (and possibly adding to 98), but I did not feel right in my first 90 (but made it), repeated, did not make it, repeated, and failed again. Since I know my head for 35+ years, I knew there's no way I'd successfully continue, so I decided to do some power snatches instead.

Surprisingly, those went very well, and I managed to work up to a 94 crisp power snatch (singles 60/70/80/85/90/92/94).

After that, I did some clean pulls (130, 4s3r), did some presses, and called it a day, since I felt fairly exhausted. Enjoyed good time with my family, ate some pasta, smoked a good hookah and went to bed.