starting strength gym
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Quest For Strength

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    8/15/2018 Wednesday

Cardio - Treadmill 2 miles @ 6.3mph Time 18:51 I did not make the criteria to advance. I needed more air and had to change my breathing at .75 miles and 1.5 miles. To advance those figures need to be 1.25 and 1.8 miles. Still did the 8mph sprint from 1.9-2 miles. Next week 6.3mph will be repeated. It will probably take two more session before advancing.

8/17/2018 Friday End of Left Shoulder Rehab Week 1

I was beat up going into today's workout. I had forgot that after running on Wednesday we had a pizza/pool party for the youth group at church. After 3 hours of chicken fights, diving/cannonball/flip contests, and races I was spent. My left calf and toes cramped up bad, knees were fatigued, quads sore, heals sore. This was basically a 50 year old expending the energy of a teen. The question is was it worth it? Yep! I felt under recovered but gotta train anyway.

Shoulder Stretches These have been an important part of my shoulder feeling better.

Squat 3RG25 245(7,6,6-19) Picked up 2 reps over the last workout. I was worried about squats today since my legs were beat up. Went better then expected after warming up. I normally do not list warm ups but this is what I did today.
    Bar X 5, 95X5, 135X5, 185X2, 205X1, 225X1, Worksets.

Rotator Cuff 4 exercises for each shoulder 1X12 each with 19# band.

Superset Fly/Row No rest in between sets. First/Last set 23# Band. Middle sets 30# Band

Modified Fly 20,10,10,15
    Row 20,10,12,15

Lateral Raise 20,10,10,15 First/Last with 8# Band, Middle Sets 13# Band The bands increase in tension as they stretch and are about double the rating at the amount of stretch that was on them. There was a slight discomfort in the left shoulder but no pain.

Chins 15 Added in a single set because chins did not bother my shoulder. They went fine. The set was not done all out. I could have gotten another rep or 2 but at the expense of form. Bad form adds stress on the shoulder and I do not want that right now.

Shrugs 30#Band 2X20 Next week add another band for more weight.

Superset Bi/Tri First/Last Set 23# Band. Middle Sets 30# Band

Biceps 15,10,10,15
    Triceps 15,10,10,15

Face Pulls 20 with 23# band

This was a great workout, just as tough as using iron. All sets were done AMRAP without any shoulder pain! Today chins were added back into the program just for one set. At the end of next week I will add in one more exercise, most likely light kettlebell presses. They are easier on the shoulder then a barbell due to the positioning and rotation that is involved, plus the stabilizer muscles are worked harder which is what I need right now. The good news is that the pain and clicking/popping is gone and the shoulder feels stable again!
    Last edited by Ken_L; 08-17-2018 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_L View Post
    [B]8/17/2018 The good news is that the pain and clicking/popping is gone and the shoulder feels stable again!
    good on ya!!

After more then a year of constant shoulder pain it just went away.Still not back to where I was before with bench and press,but no pain doing them. I do get a snap crackle and pop in the right shoulder if I try to do any over head work like painting or hanging a ceiling fan. I recently tried to do some push up and hear the same sounds but get no pain.I may try doing them more often it will either kill or cure me.

Quote Originally Posted by granny View Post
    good on ya!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    After more then a year of constant shoulder pain it just went away.Still not back to where I was before with bench and press,but no pain doing them. I do get a snap crackle and pop in the right shoulder if I try to do any over head work like painting or hanging a ceiling fan. I recently tried to do some push up and hear the same sounds but get no pain.I may try doing them more often it will either kill or cure me.

Thanks!

The culprit is high volume at high intensity. Every time I try it my left shoulder acts up after a few months. My plan going forward is to add one lift back each week on day 2 (2 day per week lifting program) and keep going with bands on day 1. As the exercises are brought back it will just be for warm ups and 1 AMRAP workset. A conservative LP will be run until I am back to previous levels. The minimum volume that will drive progress even if it is slow will be used. When I was 20 I could beat my body into submission but at 50 that no longer works. A gradual coaxing seems to be what is required now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_L View Post
    Thanks!

The culprit is high volume at high intensity. Every time I try it my left shoulder acts up after a few months. My plan going forward is to add one lift back each week on day 2 (2 day per week lifting program) and keep going with bands on day 1. As the exercises are brought back it will just be for warm ups and 1 AMRAP workset. A conservative LP will be run until I am back to previous levels. The minimum volume that will drive progress even if it is slow will be used. When I was 20 I could beat my body into submission but at 50 that no longer works. A gradual coaxing seems to be what is required now.
    Do you think its because of form breakdown due to the volume+intensity or just too much of both in and of itself?

Quote Originally Posted by granny View Post
    Do you think its because of form breakdown due to the volume+intensity or just too much of both in and of itself?
    It's definitely the left shoulder. It will not take the pounding due to the old injury. My form on bench is not bad, although there is always room for improvement. The right shoulder has never given me any issues. The one thing on my bench that is lacking is that I can't get enough arch to cut down on the range of motion. My back is not that flexible. I would like to get enough arch to keep my arms from going below parallel as that is where the pain was. I am thinking about using the pin safeties in the rack to accomplish this.

The barbell press could use a few form adjustments. I have found that my shoulder doesn't like using a stretch reflex or any bounce. Super strict is the only way I can do it. Switching to a kettlebell press is better for me because it eliminates the stress that my shoulder does not like. At this point I don't think that I will go back to the standard barbell press. Pin presses may be an option as they will eliminate the stress at the bottom which is what gets me.

8/20/2018 Monday Left Shoulder Rehab Week 2

Shoulder Stretches

Squat 3RG25 245#(8,7,6-21) Pickup up 2 reps over last time. It may not sound like much but 2 reps is good progress and I have consistently been getting it from workout to workout. It adds up over time. Add weight or add reps either way it is progression.

Superset Fly/Row First/Last set 23# Band. Middle sets 30# Band

Modified Fly 20,10,10,15
    Row 20,10,10,15

Rotator Cuff 4 exercises for each shoulder 1X12 each with 19# band.

Superset Lateral Raise/Front raise

Lateral Raise 20,10,10 First Set 8# Band. 2nd & 3rd Set 13# Band
    Front Raise 10,10,10 All sets with 8# Band. Had to eat humble pie on this one. It is amazing how a laughable looking 8# band can do you in. These were very difficult! I didn't even do the 4th set. My shoulders were thrashed and felt like they were going to fall off.

Superset Bi/Tri First/Last set 23# Band. Middle sets 30# Band.

Biceps 20,10,10,15
    Triceps 20,10,10,15

Bench Press Bar X 10 I did this just to see how it felt, it was good and there was no pain!

I do not feel ready to return to benching or pressing yet because I think I would end up in the same situation again. Even though I am feeling really good right now the left shoulder isn't 100% there yet. My thoughts are that 4 to 6 weeks should be allowed for healing to take place. It will be interesting to see what happens to my bench after using bands for the recovery period. On Thursday I will add in the kettlebell press. They will start light with 20 pounds. When 20 reps is reached the next jump is to 35#. Kettlebells have large jumps in weight so build up the reps and then make the switch to the next one up. I will have to deliberately keep the progression slow since I know that I can press a 70# kettlebell. The goal is to build up the stabilizing muscles in the shoulder not to push for max weight in each set.
    Last edited by Ken_L; 08-20-2018 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Added Clarity

8/21/2018 Tuesday

Cardio - Treadmill 2 miles @ 6.3mph Time 18:51 The treadmill must be pretty accurate because times are exactly the same when I run at the same speed. I did not make the criteria to advance. I needed more air and had to change my breathing at .9 and 1.6 miles. Last week it was .75 miles and 1.5 miles so it is an improvement. To advance those figures need to be 1.25 and 1.8 miles.

At this point progress slows just like it does in the Novice LP. I will keep going until the requirements are met to go to 6.4mph. At that point I will start playing with other variables since the finest speed increase is .1mph. Options are to run at 6.4 for a tenth or so and then back down to 6.3 or add incline for short amounts of time. Think of it as micro loading. These variables will be used to progress from 6.4mph and beyond.

This is turning out to be an interesting experiment in applying the concepts learned in SS and PPST to running. Once a week for only 2 miles is proving to be a sufficient dose to drive progress with minimal to no interference to strength training. I have run this program once before but at 2 days a week. Progress was of course faster but there was interference with strength training. Even though progress was faster the number of session before advancing was about the same. This shows that there is no reason to overuse running for a strength athlete who desires to have a decent level of cardiovascular fitness. It can be obtained and maintained with very little effort by using small incremental increases, seems I have heard that someplace before.

starting strength coach development program
    8/23/2018 Thursday@Work Left Shoulder Rehab Week 2

Shoulder Stretches

Squat 3RG25 245(9,7,7-23) Picked up 2 reps over the last workout and should make the rep goal of 25 on Monday.

Superset Fly/Row First/Last set 23# Band. Middle sets 30# Band The bands are stretched a little more each workout adding more resisance. Even with bands the concept of progressive overload must still be followed in order to make gains. I can feel the strength gains but how much of it will transfer over to bench when I restart I don't know. The goal with this is to not have my bench completely tank.

Modified Fly 20,10,10,15
    Row 20,10,10,15

Kettlebell Press 20#X20X1 L&R Added in a set to start working on the supporting muscles in the shoulder. These felt great! In the bottom of the range of motion the kettlebell rests on the chest, so it is supported. It is pressed from a dead stop position. My left shoulder doesn't like the bottom position of the barbell press so this should be a great alternative exercise. I will stick with this weight a couple more times before moving to a 35# kettlebell, no need to rush the shoulder. I have Kettlebells up to 70 pounds and they make heavier ones then that so weight is not a problem. I can press the 70 pounder now but will work up slowly for shoulder health.

Chins 16

Superset Bi/Tri First/Last Set 23# Band. Middle Sets 30# Band. I actually like working biceps and triceps with bands better then with freeweights. The resistance is more even and there is no cheating since momentum can't be used.

Biceps 20,10,10,15
    Triceps 20,10,10,15

5 Test Pushups Using Handles Of course these were stupid easy. I wanted to see if there was any pain. There was none

Next week I will add in one more exercise. It will probably be One Arm Dumbbell Rows which will replace band rows. It is so nice having a completely pain free workout!
    Last edited by Ken_L; 08-23-2018 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Added Clarity

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast