starting strength gym
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Quest For Strength

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The best part about this program is that I am experiencing absolutely no shoulder pain! I can hit it for 1 high intensity workout per week as long as I keep volume day lighter. After I make 25 reps for bench at 205 I may make a change from 3RG25 to 4RG25. This will allow the weight to continue to move up while cutting down on the rep range. It will be a good test for my shoulders. If I start to experience pain I will revert back.

My theory is that the higher rep range is allowing my body to adapt to the gradually increasing weights. Whereas with sets of 5 across I was gaining the muscle to progress before my body was able to take the load. What do you think?

5/12/2018
    Played basketball with the kids for 1.5 hours. This counts as my second cardio session of the week.

Also did about 6 hours of heavy yard work. One of the things that I did was drag a lot of debree up the hill in my back yard to a burn pile, I live in the mountains. Every other trip was done walking backwards up the hill while dragging the debree. The work was turned into a quad killing exercise. My quads and glutes were sore this morning.

Last night I did experience a slight amount of shoulder pain along with leg fatigue. A couple of Advil at bedtime helped immensely and my shoulders are fine today. The key is to get get control of the inflamation right away so that it doesn't accumulate.

A few dietary supplements have been discussed on the forum that are anti-inflammatory and help joints. The two that stand out to me are fish oil and turmeric. I will have to do some research on these to determine if the are worth trying.

I feel 95 percent recovered tonight and expect to be able to hit it hard for tomorrow's workout. It seems that I have been running right on the edge of my recovery limit for about a month now.

5/14/2018 Monday

I thought I would start with a summery of the system I use to record weight/sets.

Lets take an example of my volume bench today. All sets have a 4 minute rest time.

3RG25 205(10,8,6-24)

The 3RG25 means "3 Rep Goal 25" 3 sets added together must total at least 25 reps before moving on.

The 205 is the weight lifted and the 10,8,6 are how many reps I did in each set. 24 is the total number of reps completed.

Today was a good workout. I had to split it into two sessions and as it turns out I liked having a few hours rest in between.

Morning

Bench 3RG25 205(10,8,6-24) I picked up a rep over last week, next week I should make the full 25 reps. At that point I think I am going to swich to 4RG25 to both add a set and lower the rep rage. I think it will allow me to add weight a little faster, at least for a while.

Squat 3RG25 215(10,8,7-25) Nailed these again this week! I am getting a 5 pound per week increase in my 10 rep max. Squats seem to like this rep range more than bench.

Press 135X5X1 It didn't happen, I only made 3 reps. 5lb increases are finished with the press.

Afternoon

I tried the Press again and got 4 reps this time. Doing them after Bench and Squats is tough! Next week I will try 132.5lb.

Incline Bench 2RG20 125(15,15-30) I am still way to light on these. The reason is that I needed practice with the movement. By the time they get heavy the movement will be solid.

Rows 3RG25 175(10,8,8-26) These felt a little easier then last week even though the weight was increased 5 lbs.

Barbell Curls 2RG20 80(9,8-17) Gained a rep over last week which is good progress on these.

I really liked the morning/afternoon split and will probably continue it for Mondays. I'll move Curls to the morning and the Press to the afternoon so that I will be rested up for them. Volume day is long and tiring, the extra rest helps a lot!
    Last edited by Ken_L; 05-17-2018 at 11:54 AM.

5/15/2018

Planks

Run 2 miles at 6.3mph time 18:51

I am approaching running the same way as weights this time, progressive overload. As stated in previous posts there were 3 very rough months over the winter that messed up my training. Before the winter I was able to run 2 miles in under 16 minutes.

A treadmill is used because of the ability to "progressively load" with speed adjustments. The treadmill is also much more joint friendly then running on a hard surface.

The first time back after the layoff I only ran 1/2 mile at 6mph
    Second time 1 mile at 6mph
    Third 1.5 miles at 6mph
    Forth 2 miles at 6mph
    From that point I have been increasing the speed .1mph every other session. I am only running once per week now since I am also playing basketball every week. This progression is resulting in faster gains then when I used to run twice a week and moved up only when it got easy.
    This is an experiment and I am curious to see how it plays out as time goes on.

Weightlifting alone does not give me enough cardio to keep my blood pressure in check. It will run a bit high at around 140/85. When running is added into the mix it drops to 120/80. A rowing machine could be used to get the same benefit but I still have quite a few more years of running left in me, plus I will be running in a 5k this fall and need to train for it.

5/17/2018 Thursday

Bench
    Attempted 240X3 I made 2 good reps but failed on the third. I almost had it but was not able to lock out. I will try this in 3 weeks when sets of 3 come around again.

Squats 245X5X1 This felt good today. It was easier then 240 was last week and I know I had at least 1 more rep left in the tank.

Press 3RG25 117.5(10,8,8-26) I started microloading the press today. I might have been able to get away with one more 5 pound jump since I ended up exceeding my goal of 25 reps across the 3 sets at 117.5 pounds. I'll stay with the 2.5lb jumps for a while. It's a marathon not a race.

Deadlift 295X5X2 I don't count the weight of the clamps that I use for deadlifts and rows, just the plates. But they weigh 2.5 pounds each. So I finally made it to 300 pound working sets. These were easier then 5 pounds less felt last week! My grip is still holding out but does require a good deal of effort, still using double overhand. In three weeks from now when I am scheduled for 310(plus clamps) I think I will skip the clamps and just put 3 plates on

Chins 3 Sets 12,10,10 I meant to add weight to these today but I forgot. There is always next week! I weigh about 230 pounds so this is good progress for me.

Laying Triceps Extensions 85X10X2 I started doing these a few weeks ago to help with the lockout on Bench Press.

Cardio: After work I played basketball for 2.5 hours with a bunch of high school kids at church. I kept up better then I thought I would. It was a lot of running especially since I worked legs this morning. I am a bit stiff now though, stiff not sore.
    Last edited by Ken_L; 05-18-2018 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Added Cardio

Found your log. First, a coincidence...you were a missionary, carson is a former pastor, and I am a former seminary student....

About your log...you have squats sandwhiched by pressing movements. When I lifted a lot, I usually did by body part, in a three day split, essentially pushing movements (chest delts and tris), pulling movements (back and bis) and legs being my 3 days. I've never done a non pushing movement between two of those...does that assist you in recovering and to do more weight/better form on the second on? The triceps ext at the end works in my mind easier Chins after deadlifts though...3 sets over 10 is pretty nice.

I like the concept of your 3 rep goal 25...how has it worked out for you? It kind of reminds me of a cardio-flavored version from my days in the military I picked up a guy's routine of doing pushups, free squats, crunches, diamond pushups, russian twists, wide arm pushups, flutter kicks in a big chain. You start with 10 reps and you do as many sets, repeating the larger set as many times as possible, and when you can get through 8 giant sets, you add reps. Time limit was 25 minutes, but I did it for 40 because I had 45 minutes of PT time on my own (with a 300/300 score on PFT).

Quote Originally Posted by Glennjamin Gluttons View Post
    Found your log. First, a coincidence...you were a missionary, carson is a former pastor, and I am a former seminary student....

About your log...you have squats sandwhiched by pressing movements. When I lifted a lot, I usually did by body part, in a three day split, essentially pushing movements (chest delts and tris), pulling movements (back and bis) and legs being my 3 days. I've never done a non pushing movement between two of those...does that assist you in recovering and to do more weight/better form on the second on? The triceps ext at the end works in my mind easier Chins after deadlifts though...3 sets over 10 is pretty nice.

I like the concept of your 3 rep goal 25...how has it worked out for you? It kind of reminds me of a cardio-flavored version from my days in the military I picked up a guy's routine of doing pushups, free squats, crunches, diamond pushups, russian twists, wide arm pushups, flutter kicks in a big chain. You start with 10 reps and you do as many sets, repeating the larger set as many times as possible, and when you can get through 8 giant sets, you add reps. Time limit was 25 minutes, but I did it for 40 because I had 45 minutes of PT time on my own (with a 300/300 score on PFT).
    I was not aware that you were a seminary student or that Carson was a pastor! I am glad that you let me know.

My workout is a compromise. I would rather do a 4 day split. Monday lower, Tuesday upper, Thursday lower, Friday upper. The problem that I have is that even lower body days add stress to the shoulders and unless I leave a few days in between workouts my shoulders start to hurt. This is the only reason that I cram everything into 2 full body workouts. Since my workouts are full body I have been experimenting with alternating upper and lower body exercises within each workout to increase rest. It has been working really well on Thursday (Intensity Day). Chins after deads have been fine, this surprised me but it works. Monday still needs a little help since it is a lot more volume. This past Monday due to time constraints I had to split the workout up into a morning and afternoon session. I think that this has a lot of potential and will continue testing out the idea on Mondays. The key is 3 nights of good sleep between Mon/Thurs and 4 nights before I start again the next week. My left shoulder has a lot of scar tissue and it gets inflamed when I push hard. With the additional nights rest it doesn't act up. I am hopping that this will improve somewhat in time.

Using a rep goal is not anything new. It has been around for a long time. It works for me although 5's would probably be better. If I do volume work with 5's for the bench and press I end up with shoulder pain. Using the higher rep range (lower weight) for volume work lets me continue to make progress even though it is not ideal. For bench I will be dropping the rep range a little to 4RG25 and see how my shoulders feel. I still get exposure to lower reps on intensity day (swapped for the press) but at a lower volume that does not cause any problems. Squats have been doing exceptionally well with a higher rep volume day and I will continue to ride it out as long as it keeps working.

5/21/2018

Bombed out today's workout. A lot has happened this past week. First basketball last Thursday night was tough as I was playing with youth (high school kids) for 2.5 hours non stop. On Saturday I had some unexpected physical work to do. My mother in law needed a large area dug up and flipped to plant sweet potatoes. She is a good M.I.L. so I don't mind. Anyway it was 5 hours work with a shovel moving at a good pace. I only stopped for water. We closed on a house today and the financial stuff is a big stress on me. As age creeps up external stressors have a large impact on training.

I woke up this morning feeling good, not sore , but weaker then I should be. I could tell by looking in the mirror that I lost weight. Also my wife said that I looked skinnier. When I got to the gym the same belt that I always use went one notch more than it did last week. This was not a good sign. All the weights felt heavy today. My bench was off but squats really took a hit. Food intake should have been increased over the last 4 or 5 days to keep pace with the activity level. I learn by trial and error, with a heavy emphasis on error!

Bench 205(10,7,6-23) I should have made the full 25 reps today but regressed a rep over last week. At least the first set was still 10 reps. It felt like there was not enough rest time in between sets. All sets have a 4 minute rest time but that did not work today.

Squats 220(7,5,5-17) Between the stress of this past week and being under-recovered squats were a big failure today. I even very slightly tweaked my back which is something that rarely ever happens. Looking back I should have made today a Light Day.

DB Rows 70(12,10,10) with each arm of course. After tweaking my back I felt that dumbbell rows would be safer then using the barbell. The next time I do these I need to go heavier. I think these are my favorite way to do rows.

I stopped the workout at this point, no gas left in the tank. Tomorrow morning is normally a 2 mile run for time. The running will be skipped in order to allow for extra recovery. Instead I will finish up the 3 accessory exercises that were were part of today's workout. I will have to see how I feel on Thursday. Thursday's schedule calls for a few bench singles at 260 and squats at 250X5X1. I would like to go ahead with it but moving this week may make that impossible. Most likely it will turn into a light day and next week I will do what should have been this weeks workouts.

5/22/2018 Tuesday

Finished yesterdays workout this morning. Closed on the house so that stress is relieved but now there is moving and renting our old house. My back still hurt. It's not bad nor is it a constant pain. The best way to describe it is it feels like someone gives you a jab every once in a while.

Press 132.5X4X1, 130X5X1 Next week I will try 131.25 and go up in 1.25lb increments.

Incline Bench 130X15X2 The reps will go down as the weight goes up. I am going slow and only adding 5lb to these each time in order to practice the movement. It is starting to feel natural.

Barbell Curls 80X10X2 Completed both sets at 10 reps so I will add 5lb. next week.

Skipped running today because extra recovery was needed from last weeks activities. My back felt much better after pressing beltless. Usually I wear a belt for the press but I decided not to today in order to focus on bracing. It worked! My back feels 90% better. Getting back under the bar is the best thing to do. I am undecided on Thursdays workout. I am scheduled for a couple PR's (DL 300X5, squat 250X5, Bench 260X1) but will play it by ear and see if I should proceed with it or turn it into a recovery day. It depends on how much moving a house full of junk takes out of me. Most likely the smart move is take the recovery day, write this week off, and do this weeks scheduled workouts next week. A week setback isn't bad but it still makes me mad that progress should have been made but wasn't.
    Last edited by Ken_L; 05-22-2018 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Phat Fingers

starting strength coach development program
    5/24/2018 Thursday

I felt good today and pretty much recovered so I went ahead with the intensity workout instead of taking a light day.

Bench 260X1, 250X1X2 260 is a new PR! Bar speed was slow but it wasn't a grind. In three weeks I will try 265.

Squat 250X5 This felt very heavy today. Could be partly because my back still hurt a little bit and/or I was not 100% recovered yet, but I got it done.

Press 4RG20 120(7,6,5,5-23) Higher reps have run there course so back to a lower rep range. The goal was 20 but I got 23 so next weeks weight will be 122.5

Deadlift 300X5X1 Did one set instead of two since my back was not at 100%. The first rep felt heavy the remaining 4 felt great. No problems with grip strength using a double overhand grip.

Chins w/10lb. 6,6,6 I was surprised at how much a difference a little bit of weight makes. At a body weight of 230lb. I did 12 reps at least for the first set. The extra weight cut that in half! I think that the extra weight hanging from my waist forced me to have a little better form.

Laying Triceps Extensions 90X10X2 This is the first time that these started to feel heavy by the 10th rep. I will try 95lb. next week but it probably will not be long before smaller jumps are in order.

I was pleased that this workout was salvageable after Monday's failure. Turns out that Rip was right. Doing to much other junk will sabotage gains. Who'd a thought! This weekend I will be moving so we will see how it goes next Monday, pass or bomb?
    Last edited by Ken_L; 05-24-2018 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Bad Math

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast