starting strength gym
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Quest For Strength

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    6/12/2018 Tuesday (At Home)

I got up at 6:00am for this workout still questioning recovery.

Squat 4RG20 235(5,5,5,5-20) The fact that these got done without fear of failing a rep was a big surprise, since I obviously didn’t eat over the weekend with a stomach virus. Still ended up with enough recovery from Friday’s workout!

BB Row 3RG15 185(5,5,5-15) Easy

BB Curl 2RG20 85(8,8-16) Last week I got a total of 16 reps in 2 sets but that was at the school gym. At home this is about 5 pounds more weight for the same 85 pound loading so it is progress.

6/14/2018 Thursday @Home 6:30am

Yesterday my new Rogue B&R bar arrived First impressions are that this is going to be about the best all-around bar for the basic compound exercises. The knurling is perfect. It’s not overly aggressive to where it would tear up skin but it still has very good grip, I can't wait to deadlift with it! This morning was my first chance to use the new bar and the feel is great. The thickness is perfect, my old bar is a little thinner and it bothered me somewhat but it still got the job done. The B&R bar is a 20Kg bar. On my scale it came in at 46 pounds. My old bar which is part of an Ethos bumper plate/bar combo weighs 44.8 pounds.

Bench 235X3X2 The last rep of each set was sloooow. Adding the weights up with the new B&R bar, the total was 238.5 pounds. 3 weeks ago when I tried 240 at my work gym I could only get 2 reps but that 240 was not quite 235 since the bar and plates there are all light. So I was very happy to get this today!

Press 135X4 The goal was 5 reps. Last week at home I only did 3 reps on intensity day. So I’ll take the extra rep plus the 1.2 pounds heavier weight because of the new bar. Next Thursday will be 5 full reps.

Laying Triceps Extensions 2RG20 95(8,10-18) Didn’t quite make the full amount of reps planned but this is the first time doing this exercise at home. My EZ curl bar has different contours then the one at work plus my weights are slightly heavier. I think that it took the first set to get the feel for them with different equipment.

I was happy with this workout. Steady progress is being made on a weekly basis. Even though today is only the third session since going with a 4 day split I am really liking it. The workouts are much shorter and I feel refreshed rather then tired throughout the day. I think that this is the schedule I will be sticking with for quite some time. It finally feels like all the pieces are falling into place as far as workout schedule and exercise selection go.
    Last edited by Ken_L; 06-14-2018 at 09:14 AM.

6/15/2018 Friday @Home 6:30am

I stalled out on squats today, only making 255 for 4 reps instead of 5. Last week the 5th rep was tough. Recovery has not been an issue. I am able to fully recover from workouts with no accumulating fatigue. Mondays have been progressing but I feel that they will stall out within the next couple of weeks. In Practical Programming there are suggestions to fix a stall. It says that if Monday is going well but PR’s are not being made on Intensity day then there most likely is not enough stress being applied on Volume day. I think that this is the cause. Next Tuesday volume squats will be changed from 4X5 to 5X5 with a slight reduction in weight so that the 5th set can be completed. I will try this for a couple of weeks and then if needed start rotating the rep ranges on intensity day just like I am doing with the bench press. Another contributing factor and maybe the major one is that I have been lifting at home recently. My weights are heavier then the ones at work so I unknowingly made a few larger then planned jumps in weight that should not have happened. My bar loaded with the same weight is about 10lbs. heavier then at work. I adjusted on bench and press but thought that I could get away with it on squats and deads.

I also feel that more volume is needed on deadlifts. Once a week is not enough for progress to continue and the addition of a light pull variant on Tuesday will be added. The toughest part of the deadlift is breaking it off of the floor. 1” deficit deadlifts at a lighter weight may help with this as well as provide a little more volume. Any thoughts on this?

Recommendations and constructive criticism are welcome!

Squat 255X2, 255X4 I don’t know what happened on the first set. Took a couple of minutes and gathered myself together and went back for a second shot at it. Still missed the last rep.

Deadlift 300X5 I didn’t have much time this morning so this was it, no backoff sets.

Chins 1X12 Ran out of time to do more. This is a very busy extended weekend for me with long work hours.

I don't have any experience doing them, but I've heard good things about halting or paused deadlifts for strength off the floor (that was my biggest problem, but it turned out to just be a technique problem). Maybe try those with lower intensity and more volume than the full deadlift. Some people argue that there is no point of training the increased ROM of the lower portion of the deadlift if you are not going to increase the ROM on the actual deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_L View Post
    6/15/2018 Friday @Home 6:30am
    I also feel that more volume is needed on deadlifts. Once a week is not enough for progress to continue and the addition of a light pull variant on Tuesday will be added. The toughest part of the deadlift is breaking it off of the floor. 1” deficit deadlifts at a lighter weight may help with this as well as provide a little more volume. Any thoughts on this?
    Hey Ken,

What program are you running atm? It looks like you have been running the below this last week, where before you had more of a full body workout?

Mon: volume press and bench
    Tues: volume squat and dead
    Thurs: intensity press and bench
    Fri: intensity squat and dead

I agree there looks to be a bit too little volume in general. ~25 reps on each main lift on volume day (except the deadlift) is recommended (vs your 20). You could also add in more volume on intensity day. Some examples from the book, after intensity press/bench, you could add 3 sets of dips. Or 3 sets of rows after intensity squat/dead.

If you lack time on intensity days, I usually do chins in-between other stuff (like just after finishing squats/deads, or while putting the weights back in its place). That way, I get in more sets in the same amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    I don't have any experience doing them, but I've heard good things about halting or paused deadlifts for strength off the floor (that was my biggest problem, but it turned out to just be a technique problem). Maybe try those with lower intensity and more volume than the full deadlift. Some people argue that there is no point of training the increased ROM of the lower portion of the deadlift if you are not going to increase the ROM on the actual deadlift.
    You made some good points. I will try paused deadlifts on Tuesdays at a reduced weight. Just watched a couple of deadlifting videos by Allen Thrall, one of them was on paused. It never hurts to do a form check as it is all to easy for it to creep a little over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Espen Lund View Post
    Hey Ken,

What program are you running atm? It looks like you have been running the below this last week, where before you had more of a full body workout?

Mon: volume press and bench
    Tues: volume squat and dead
    Thurs: intensity press and bench
    Fri: intensity squat and dead

I agree there looks to be a bit too little volume in general. ~25 reps on each main lift on volume day (except the deadlift) is recommended (vs your 20). You could also add in more volume on intensity day. Some examples from the book, after intensity press/bench, you could add 3 sets of dips. Or 3 sets of rows after intensity squat/dead.

If you lack time on intensity days, I usually do chins in-between other stuff (like just after finishing squats/deads, or while putting the weights back in its place). That way, I get in more sets in the same amount of time.
    The Program is Four-Day Texas Method from Practical Programming. It splits the load out over multiple days to spread out stress and shorten the workouts. It also makes adding a couple of accessories easy. I was doing the same exercises in a 2 day a week program but the workouts were way to long. Afterwards I was drained for the rest of the day. I was getting results though. Since the home gym is now set up it's easy to do the 4 day split. I still have kids at home and can't always leave early enough in the morning to go to the gym. The ability to lift at home solves the problem. This weekend is an exception because I have to run all of the technology needs for a conference so my time is short. I will probably do a couple more sets of chins when I get home tonight.

I revised it a little to address the lack of volume and add a little more to the deadlift.

Mon: Bench 5X5 Press 4X5, BB Curls 2X10
    Tues: Squat 5X5, Paused Deadlift 3X5@75%(To start), Alternating DB Row/BB Row
    Thurs: Bench 1X5, Press 1X5, Triceps Extension 2X10
    Fri: Squat 1X5 (if more stress is needed I will add 2 backoff sets), Deadlift 1X5, 2X5@80%, Chinups 3X alternating body/weighted

6/15/2018 Friday @Home Continued

I wasn't happy with how I left Chins and Deads this morning. Upon arriving home at 9:30pm I decided to finish the workout.

Deadlift 135X5, 225X5, 275X1, 315X5 Since my weights are heavy the 315 was actually a bit over 320lb. Last week I lifted at work so my set of 315 there would have only been about 310. I did a form check today and corrected a few issues and as a result deads were much better tonight.

Chins 2X Body Weight(230lb) +10lb. 8,8
    Last edited by Ken_L; 06-20-2018 at 12:38 PM. Reason: fixing cell phone post

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_L View Post
    Mon: Bench 5X5 Press 4X5, BB Curls 2X10
    Tues: Squat 5X5, Paused Deadlift 3X5@75%(To start), Alternating DB Row/BB Row
    Thurs: Bench 1X5, Press 1X5, Triceps Extension 2X10
    Fri: Squat 1X5 (if more stress is needed I will add 2 backoff sets), Deadlift 1X5, 2X5@80%, Chinups 3X alternating body/weighted
    Looks good Best of luck.

starting strength coach development program
    6/18/2018 Monday @Work

Height: 6'
    Weight: 229 Still the same weight as I was a year ago despite taking my belt in a notch.

Bench 5X5 225X5, 220(5,4), 217.5(5,5) Had to figure out where to start since switching to 5X5. Next week I will go with 217.5lbs. and try to add a few more reps. If successful I will move to 220X5X5 the following week.

Press 127.5X5X5 (5,5,5,5,6) Move to 130lbs. next week.

Curls 85(8,8)

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast