starting strength gym
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Espen's Training Adventures

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    How have you liked the intensity set followed by 4 volume sets? I saw this recommendation in a video that Andy Baker did on HLM, it also recommended a rotating rep range for the intensity set. I am using a rotating rep range on intensity day for bench and have really liked it. The press will be next as progress is slowing down on it. I find it to be both fun and challenging. It provides a different goal to reach each week, the constant setting of PR's, and helps to keep from getting stuck. Eventually it can be expanded even further with a 5/3/1 6/4/2 scheme where in the second round more reps are completed with the same weight before moving on. I am not there yet but eventually the presses will slow to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_L View Post
    How have you liked the intensity set followed by 4 volume sets? I saw this recommendation in a video that Andy Baker did on HLM, it also recommended a rotating rep range for the intensity set. I am using a rotating rep range on intensity day for bench and have really liked it. The press will be next as progress is slowing down on it. I find it to be both fun and challenging. It provides a different goal to reach each week, the constant setting of PR's, and helps to keep from getting stuck. Eventually it can be expanded even further with a 5/3/1 6/4/2 scheme where in the second round more reps are completed with the same weight before moving on. I am not there yet but eventually the presses will slow to that point.
    That's where I got it from So far I am enjoying that way of structuring my heavy days. My program is based off one of the less taxing 4x/week programs in PPST, and I figured Andy's recommendation was a good way of getting in intensity and volume on each lift every week, even tho that lift is only trained heavy once a week. It also means that I can do each heavy lift fresh. And the most important part for me, I guess, is that it is relieving mentally, because I can only focus on one heavy lift each workout, and then the rest of the workout is "easy" in comparison.

I am also planning on cycling rep schemes in the future. I agree that it looks like a good way to keep doing PRs every week for quite some time. First, I want to run out my progress on 5s, 3s and 1s. Alternating 5,3,1 with 6,4,2 was a neat idea I had not thought of.

Thursday 05.07.18

Press
    1 x 3 x 79kg
    4 x 5 x 72kg

I experimented with starting with the "bow strung", instead of thrusting my hips forward to accelerate the bar off the chest. Think I liked it better. It also seemed to help my bar path as lockout felt easier. I am also only 1 - one - kg away from 80 kg, which will be an important milestone for me.

Weighted Dips
    Rep goal: 27
    (2 x 9, 1 x 6, 1 x 3) x 20 kg

LTEs
    Rep goal: 30
    3 x 10 x 32.5kg

Ab wheel from the knees
    Rep goal: 24
    2 x 12

I feel this in my lats, chest and triceps; and not in my abs. Hmmmmmm.

Air bike
    Intervals: 8 x 20s bike x 10 s rest
    Time: 4 min
    Distance: 1.4 miles
    Watts (total): 579
    Watts (avg): 295
    Speed (max):29.5 m/hr
    Speed (avg):22.2 m/hr

I had the time, so I shot in some cardio. I really need this.
    Last edited by Espen Lund; 07-05-2018 at 01:49 PM.

Friday 06.07.18
    Bodyweight: 107.5kg

Deadlift
    1 x 3 x 180kg
    2 x 5 x 160kg

First time I have come to the 80s on the deadlift. Happy about that. I felt technique-wise, I "got it" much better now. I took a bit wider stance, and had the bar a tad further away from my shins. It helped me get into a better starting position, and I felt tighter.

Box Squat
    3 x 5 x 140kg

Pulldowns
    Rep goal: 30
    2 x 10 x 77lbs
    2 x 5 x 77lbs

Air bike
    Intervals: 8 x 10s bike x 20s rest
    Distance: 2.1 km
    Time: 4:00 min
    Watts (avg): 264
    Watts (max): 692
    Speed (avg): 33 km/h
    Speed (max): 50.5 km/h

didnt really kill myself on this one. Just wanted to get my pulse up.

Tuesday 10.07.18

This is what's normally monday's training session. I was so tired yesterday that I did not train. First time this has happenend. I'm ashamed.

Heavy Bench
    1 x 3 x 116kg
    4 x 5 x 111kg

Light Press
    1 x 5 x 69kg
    1 x 8 x 63kg

Tried a set of 8 for the first time. Think from now on, I will do 2-3 sets of 8 on light press.

Steep Incline DB Press
    3 x 12 x 25kg

Wednesday 11.07.18

Heavy squat
    1 x 3 x 167.5kg YouTube
    4 x 5 x 152.5kg

Hard but doable. Next will be 170kg, which will be a PR on the squat.

RDL
    3 x 8 x 125kg

Short training session today.
    Last edited by Espen Lund; 07-11-2018 at 11:22 AM.

Friday 13.07.18

Press
    1 x 3 x 80kg
    4 x 5 x 73kg

The last set was an absolute grinder. And I felt a deep pain in my shoulders that I'm not sure is good pain or bad pain.

QG bench
    1 x 8 x 100kg
    2 x 8 x 90kg

Loaded the first set too heavy. If I do it fresh then no problemo, but the fatigue from the press was felt.

Bench situps
    1 x 10
    2 x 10 x 15kg

Don't know what to call these. Got the idea from a video of Suggs coaching the olympic press.

Saturday 14.07.18

Deadlift
    1 x 3 x 182.5kg with straps
    2 x 5 x 162.5kg

Box squat
    3 x 5 x 142.5kg

Kettlebell swing
    5 x 20kg
    5 x 28kg
    10 x 28kg

Was pressed on time and just wanted to learn the movement.

Let us know if DOM'S sets in from the kettlebell swings. When done with good form and a strong hip thrust they will tear up your groin! The first time I did them was 3X15 with only 35 pounds and I could barely walk the next day! You started off slow which is good. Just like any other exercise the soreness stops after a few sessions.

Did the shoulders recover from the press? When I strain something like that I will use a little bit lighter weight of around 8-10reps for a session or two. This let's it heal and allows form to be worked on and improved without the strain that normal work weights cause. I don't consider this a deload because every set at the slightly lighter weight is pushed hard to 1 rep before failure.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_L View Post
    Let us know if DOM'S sets in from the kettlebell swings. When done with good form and a strong hip thrust they will tear up your groin! The first time I did them was 3X15 with only 35 pounds and I could barely walk the next day! You started off slow which is good. Just like any other exercise the soreness stops after a few sessions.

Did the shoulders recover from the press? When I strain something like that I will use a little bit lighter weight of around 8-10reps for a session or two. This let's it heal and allows form to be worked on and improved without the strain that normal work weights cause. I don't consider this a deload because every set at the slightly lighter weight is pushed hard to 1 rep before failure.
    Hi Ken,

Yes my shoulders feel fine. The sensation is something that I started to feel after heavy presses when the weight got above 73-75 kg. I think it´s a muscular pain, that is felt on side, front and back of my shoulders - but mostly on the front. The uncomfortable feeling comes just after when I´ve finished a set, but goes away 30-60min after the workout. I dont have pain during the set, the pain comes after. Hanging from the pull up bar relieves the pain. As I said, I´m not sure if the pain is coming from my muscles working really hard, and that everything is fine, or that I am doing something wrong. I might post another form review on this site if it gets worse.

Kettlebell swings felt great. My lower back was already fatigued from heavy presses on friday and heavy deadlifts and box squats today. But I felt that my back really had to work hard to stay in extension during the swings. I also got winded, which is something I look after, because I need to up my conditioning capacity. Will definitly do them more. I hope this light start will make the DOMS mild tomorrow.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast