starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10-week pre-NLP plan (A.K.A. watch me do everything wrong!)

Default 10-week pre-NLP plan (A.K.A. watch me do everything wrong!)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This is a continuation of this log:

Want to quit feeling like crap and improve diabetes...

I'm not repeating the intro that's there - read it if you want.

Short story - I started the SS NLP, and failed. I'm going to try again, but need to get ready first. This log will show everything I'm doing wrong, and hopefully how I fix it.

Basically, what happened was that I started the SS exercises for a few weeks, never failed a set of 5, and thought I was doing OK.

Until I filmed myself... And saw my deadlift form... I was deluding myself. I'm basically doing every conceivable thing wrong with my form, on every lift. The good thing is that I found out before the weights got heavy, so I haven't injured myself, which probably would have happened if I kept adding weight to that deadlift.

I wasn't exactly surprised - I'm 47 years old, diabetic, and have never had an athletic background. I read, analyze, and write for a living. For decades I teased people that I was allergic to exercise. Of course, I f@#$ing suck at this! I don't know where my back is, my knees are, and I can't LOOK at them because according to the texts, I'm supposed to be staring at the floor, wall, or ceiling - not myself. It's frustrating.

Not one to give up, I have a plan to learn and try again.

The basic goals for this 10-week period:
    - Learn the four main lifts with adequate form (good enough that I'm not going to end up in traction)
    - Learn to analyze my videos well enough to know when my form is degrading.
    - Get under 17% body fat (I've been on an 1600-1800-calorie diet for over 6 months, lost over 50#, and refuse to be obese again). 17%bf will enable me to gain 10-15lb of fat on NLP without becoming obese.
    - Read PP and learn more. I've already read SS 3rd Edition, The Barbell Prescription, and a ton of stuff in Rip's Q&A forum.
    - Develop a sensible NLP nutrition plan, factoring in my diabetes.
    - A nice to have would be to learn form well enough that I can teach it to my wife and son.

When the main goals are reached, I will be ready to start a 4-day/week NLP plan from the Barbell Prescription (not SS due to schedule issues - I need shorter workouts). Coach Wolf helped me with that and the workout plan detailed here:
    https://startingstrength.com/resourc...p-program.html.

I won't start NLP until these goals are reached, because I basically can't. Without proper form, there is no NLP - it's a critical part of the plan, and I don't have proper form.

Currently, I do not have access to an SSC coach or another coach who can teach me the four lifts in person, though I am working on it. I'm in contact with Bill Hannon (SSC in Rensaleer, IN) and two local non-SSC weightlifting gyms in the hopes of arranging a plan that could help me. I think that combination is possible and I may be able to get help, but this 10-week plan assumes that I cannot.

Given how terrible my form is, I don't believe an online coach can help me - I need someone to watch each rep live and give me a physical shove when needed. It appears, Rip agrees here (albeit, he may have changed his mind since 2007): Online Training: Good or Bad?

So, this plan is predicated on me NOT finding a coach. If I find one and can meet the above goals faster because of it, great. But, if I can't, I move forward.

The plan is pretty basic, and I'm pretty sure SSC coaches will hate it, but I don't care unless they can come up with a better way:
    1) Freeze my workset weights and do not progress. Currently, that's 120lb squat, 70lb press, 130lb bench, and 210lb deadlift, all with terrible form.
    2) Each week I will focus on form for one lift. Film. Rearead. Analyze film in slow motion. Post to technique forums, etc... Basically, try to get it *$#& right.
    - Week 1-3: Squat
    - Week 4-5: Bench
    - Week 6-7: Press
    - Week 8-10: Deadlift
    3) Continue doing the exercises for the 4-day modified NLP program, but do not progress weight until the goals of this 10-week plan are achieved.

My workout logs will include video for the lift of the week, which hopefully will show improvements in form.

I'm a patient man and if this takes 10 weeks, it's time well spent. But, my patience isn't infinite, and know when to cut my losses. In a worst case, if I can't get adequate form in 10 weeks, I will go to my local Planet Fitness and start using nice, safe, ROM constrained weight machines that don't require "form". It's better than nothing and will build some muscle. I know that sucks, but it's better than nothing, and without form, the SS plan is nothing.

-->Adam

It's nearly impossible to stuff up bench.
    At least try and add weight on that exercise.

Default Week of 8/20 - Week 1 - Focus on Squat

Week of 8/20 - Week 1 - Focus on Squat
    Notes:

Monday, 8/20
    Squat: 120x5x3
    Bench: 130x5x3
    Deadlift: 210x5x1

Best warmup set + last workset. Got clue that I suck.

Got feedback from Adam Skillin to change stance.
    Very slow workout - spent 3 hours filming myself and analyzing video
    Skipped intervals

Monday, 8/21
    Squat: 45xlots (over 100 reps)

Trying to get form right and not succeeding. Squat, film, watch video, repeat...
    Not doing that again - not an effective strategy

Thursday, 8/23
    Press: 70x5x3
    Intervals: 2x30sec, 1x23sec deadmills with 3:30 rest.

A little better - still not good enough. Plan to add wood block and bunjee next week.

Saturday, 8/25
    Active Rest: 80 minute stroll

Sunday, 8/26

Diet Stats:
    Average calories/day: 1,778
    Average protien/day: 205g
    Average carbs/day: 181g
    Average fat/day: 31g
    Protien from dairy: 326g (23%)
    Calories from dairy: 2,128 (17%)
    Supplementation and drugs:
    - 2,000 IU of Vitamin D per day
    - 5 herbal fat-burner pills/day
    - 1 Flintsones multivitamin/day
    - 250mg Magnisum Citrate/day
    - 1000mg Metformin/day
    - 40mg Atorvastatin/day
    - 1 OTC Omeprazole every other day
    - 1 prescription extended-release anti-infammatory/day

Body Stats:
    Height: 5'9.7"
    Weight: 186.1lb (down 0.5lb)
    Neck: 16.5" (steady)
    Waist: 36.75" (steady)
    Body Fat (by Navy Calculator): 19.9% (steady)
    LBM (by Navy Calculator): 149lb (steady)
    Average morning/fasting blood sugar:103 (the number than matters!)

-->Adam
    Last edited by Adam Levine; 08-27-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by positronbomb View Post
    It's nearly impossible to stuff up bench.
    At least try and add weight on that exercise.
    I thought about that - progressing on one lift if form is adequate, and not waiting for all four.

The problem is that the NLP relies on starting all lifts with a similar level of "noviceness". Let's suppose I progress bench for 10 weeks. Then, when I start NLP for the other lifts, it would stall far earlier than they do, and I'd have to start doing complicated programming. This is made even worse by my 4-day plan, which Coach Wolf warned me will result in bench/press stalling sooner than on standard NLP (and sooner than squat/DL). I'd rather just wait and start NLP for all lifts at the same time.

-->Adam

Even if you start all the lifts on LP at the same time bench and press will run out first. The larger the muscle group the longer you can gain strength in LP. A 3 day a week program would make it easier to change lifts over to HLM as LP runs out. With your program you can still bench 2 times a week with a slightly different strategy. A simple approach to make progressing automatic once LP runs out for bench and press. Pick a max target rep of 8 (or another number of your choice) for 3 sets across. When you hit 8 reps at the current weight add 5 pounds to the bar. The reps will probably drop to 5, then build up reps each workout until you hit 8 again, repeat... The idea is to make progress every workout. Sometimes it is adding a rep, sometimes it is adding weight. If you microload the weight you can keep the rep range tighter say 4-6 or 5-7.

It is easy to procrastinate the process for years, just start. Post form checks here get advice and keep re-reading SS for squat form, even take notes on what to look for and for cues. It shouldn't take to long before your form is at least safe even if not perfected. It takes practice to have a decent form and there is no better way then by doing it.

Don't pause at the bottom of the squat, use the natural bounce you get at the bottom to drive out of the hole.

Your form is not too bad. Remember to drive with your hips.
    Just keep adding weight and analysing what you're doing.

Default Week 2 - Focus on Squat

Week of 8/27 - Week 2 - Focus on Squat
    Notes:
    - Signed up for East Lansing Squat Camp on Oct 20, so I'm going to move week 3 of focus on squat to the week of 10/22. Next week will focus on bench.
    - Really bad day for diet on Saturday. I quick added 1000 calories, screwing up diet numbers for week.
    - Frustrated with lack of progress on weight/bf%. I was getting a consistent 10lb/mo at the beginning of this diet, and now I'm lucky to get 4. Even worse is that if the Navy Body Fat estimator is to be believed, much of that weight loss is LBM, not fat. Staying course, but if this trend continues a few more weeks, I may need to adjust something.

Tuesday, 8/28
    Did a ton of squat filming/warmup, but ran out of time in gym and couldn't complete worksets.
    Squat: 120x5x1

Goblet squats are not useful for stretching or learning form
    Overall, looked better, still challenged with depth.

Wednesday, 8/29
    Press 70x5x3

Thursday, 8/30
    Intervals 2x30sec, 1x24sec 3:30 rest between, peak HR 179

Got feedback from Rip on Coaches channel that form is much better. Still a few issues, but not terrible. If I can consistently get the form I see in my best warmup (in film below), I'm ready to progress with Squat. I gotta believe this will get much better with practice and the squat camp on Oct 20.

Friday, 8/31
    Did Jordan Feighnbaum's recommended row interval set (20 sec work, 140 sec rest, 7 times). Wasn't really satisfied - my heart rate only went to about 150. The rower just doesn't seem to bring my heart rate into the 170s/180s in a matter of 30 seconds like deadmills do, so I'm going back to deadmills...

Sunday, 9/2

Diet Stats (cheat meal logged as 115carb, 60fat):
    Average calories/day: 1,842
    Average protien/day: 195g
    Average carbs/day: 178g
    Average fat/day: 43g
    Protien from dairy: 362g (27%)
    Calories from dairy: 2,266 (18%)
    Supplementation and drugs:
    - 2,000 IU of Vitamin D per day
    - 5 herbal fat-burner pills/day
    - 1 Flintsones multivitamin/day
    - 250mg Magnisum Citrate/day
    - 1000mg Metformin/day
    - 40mg Atorvastatin/day
    - 1 OTC Omeprazole every other day
    - 1 prescription extended-release anti-infammatory/day

Body Stats:
    Height: 5'9.7"
    Weight: 185.6lb (down 0.5lb)
    Neck: 16.25" (down 1/4")
    Waist: 36.5" (down 1/4")
    Body Fat (by Navy Calculator): 19.9% (steady)
    LBM (by Navy Calculator): 149lb (steady)
    Average morning/fasting blood sugar:107 (skewed by 128 the morning after the cheat meal)

-->Adam

Adjusting the plan slightly due to frustration with rate of weight loss and loss of LBM:

- Going to intermittent fasting regimen - eating from 11AM-7PM. This might affect blood sugar negatively.
    - Adding more active rest on off days, an hour of walking at about 3MPH, on just morning coffee in the morning to burn fat. Looking to increase active rest.
    - Goal calories of 1600/day isn't changing, nor are macro goals, but intermittent fasting may help me stick to those goals better.

-->Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Levine View Post
    Adjusting the plan slightly due to frustration with rate of weight loss and loss of LBM:

- Going to intermittent fasting regimen - eating from 11AM-7PM. This might affect blood sugar negatively.
    - Adding more active rest on off days, an hour of walking at about 3MPH, on just morning coffee in the morning to burn fat. Looking to increase active rest.
    - Goal calories of 1600/day isn't changing, nor are macro goals, but intermittent fasting may help me stick to those goals better.

-->Adam
    Over the years I have found diets and calorie counting to be just about useless. The body adapts to the caloric deficit and figures out how to hold onto fat and in all the wrong places. This deficit will also prevent you from building muscle and getting stronger. The best way to burn fat is to build muscle and for that you have to eat, not junk but healthy food. Things do not work the same for us as they do for a young man. Clean food and a good amount of it is needed. Don't worry about what the scale says or how long it takes. For example I have been 230 pounds for the past year. During this time I have put on a good amount of muscle. My upper body is bigger, my legs are bigger, and my belt has been taken in 2 notches! It's a recomposition that is happening. Today my body fat is lower then it was a year ago even though I weigh the same. Plus with the added strength I feel better and have a lot more energy.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_L View Post
    Over the years I have found diets and calorie counting to be just about useless. The body adapts to the caloric deficit and figures out how to hold onto fat and in all the wrong places. This deficit will also prevent you from building muscle and getting stronger. The best way to burn fat is to build muscle and for that you have to eat, not junk but healthy food. Things do not work the same for us as they do for a young man. Clean food and a good amount of it is needed. Don't worry about what the scale says or how long it takes. For example I have been 230 pounds for the past year. During this time I have put on a good amount of muscle. My upper body is bigger, my legs are bigger, and my belt has been taken in 2 notches! It's a recomposition that is happening. Today my body fat is lower then it was a year ago even though I weigh the same. Plus with the added strength I feel better and have a lot more energy.
    Totally agree with that once my pre-NLP phase is over. Just hoping to shed a few more pounds in advance of NLP, so I can gain 10-20lb of fat without becoming obese. I won't try to short-change calories on NLP and intend to gain weight. This diet has helped me lose over 50lbs - the weight loss has only started to slow recently.

-->Adam

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast