starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Busa's novice training log, Greyskull LP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Workout A. Cold is diminishing and energy levels slightly improved today.

Bench: 210 x 5,5,7 (PR) -- felt good, last rep on third set was a bit of a grinder, but that's what AMRAP is supposed to be

Rows: 210 x 5,5,5

Squats tonight. I am going to really pay attention to depth, as I think that I am just hitting parallel and I'd like to go slightly below.

Squats: 280 x 5,5,4. The last set was a heartbreaker. I lost it forward out of the hole. On the bright side, I made a conscious effort to go deep on every rep and given that I only missed the very last rep, rather than deload I will attempt 280 again on Monday.
    Last edited by Busa; 11-02-2018 at 05:28 PM.

After giving it a lot of thought over the weekend, I have decided to transition from the Greyskull LP to Andy Baker's Garage Gym Warrior HLM program. I don't want to grind out / taper off the end of the LP and risk injury, and for my OHP and Squat especially I am running out of the "newbie gains", so now seems like a good time for me to make the programming switch.

This week, I will be testing my 1RM with which to start GGW. Today, I test OHP and DL. On Thursday, I will test Bench and Squat. I am going to use sub-maximal lifts for these attempts, aiming for triples in order to most accurately estimate the 1RM with little risk of injury.

I started with OHP this morning and got 155 x 3 (might have been able to grind out 1 more rep), which was in line with my expectations. I'll use 165 lbs. as my e1RM for this lift.

Will test deadlifts tonight. My last LP lifts were 340 x 5, so I am expecting an e1RM of around 380 or so. I'll see how my warmups move and then likely go with 365 lbs for the 1RM test weight.

Pulled 365 for a single, might have been able to get another rep but I’m going to be conservative and use 370 for my e1RM.
    Last edited by Busa; 11-05-2018 at 07:03 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Time to wrap up this brief novice log.

Tested 1RM for bench and squat today. BP 225 x 4 (in hindsight I selected too light of a weight, but meh) with good form, so going to use 240 as the e1RM. Squatted 315 x 2 nice and deep, could have got a third rep but not interested in risking a lower back tweak right before the new training cycle, so taking 325 as the e1RM.

So that's it for this log and the end of my novice LP.

Busa out!
    Last edited by Busa; 11-08-2018 at 07:53 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12