Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: zft's log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    Squat 198 x 5, 188 x {5, 5}
    Chins 13 x {5, 5, 5}
    Was too pooped for cleans and was missing warm-ups, so skipped em.

Took a few days off, everything was hard today. Was dying on the final set of squats and had to have a little nap on the platform after.

Squatting 200 kg x 5 next time! 500 lbs x 5 big boy club here I come!
    Finally someone else keeping a log in kg so your squat is really strong. Hopefully you'll nail 200kgx5

I'm curious about your goals for your bench. I would imagine if you can press 90kgx5 you should be able do a lot more than 110kgx5? Or are you simply training it a lot less than your press?

Quote Originally Posted by Espen Lund View Post
    Finally someone else keeping a log in kg so your squat is really strong. Hopefully you'll nail 200kgx5
    Thanks! I live in Europe (Denmark, actually--not so far from you!) so everything is in kg anyway.

I would imagine if you can press 90kgx5 you should be able do a lot more than 110kgx5? Or are you simply training it a lot less than your press?
    I've always been a shit bencher and I historically haven't benched (fucked around with Olympic weightlifting and CrossFit). But, 90 kg x 5 on the press will definitely be harder for me to achieve than a 110 kg x 5 bench. I pulled these goals out of my ass and you're probably right about the discrepancy here. I'll change it to 120 kg x 5 in your honor.

At any rate, these goals aren't end goals for me, just milestones I thought I could achieve within ~6-8 months or so. It's nice to have something reasonably close to work towards.

So, new goals:

Squat: 220 kg x 5
    Deadlift: 250 kg x 5
    Press: 90 kg x 5
    Bench: 120 kg x 5
    Clean: 160 kg x 1
    Last edited by zft; 04-03-2019 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    Thanks! I live in Europe (Denmark, actually--not so far from you!) so everything is in kg anyway.

I've always been a shit bencher and I historically haven't benched (fucked around with Olympic weightlifting and CrossFit). But, 90 kg x 5 on the press will definitely be harder for me to achieve than a 110 kg x 5 bench. I pulled these goals out of my ass and you're probably right about the discrepancy here. I'll change it to 120 kg x 5 in your honor.

At any rate, these goals aren't end goals for me, just milestones I thought I could achieve within ~6-8 months or so. It's nice to have something reasonably close to work towards.

So, new goals:

Squat: 220 kg x 5
    Deadlift: 250 kg x 5
    Press: 90 kg x 5
    Bench: 120 kg x 5
    Clean: 160 kg x 1
    I'm honoured =) what's your program like atm?

I'm honoured =) what's your program like atm?
    Just a really basic 4-day LP split. Looks like this:

Day 1:
    Press 3 x 5
    CGBP 3 x 8
    <Assistance work>
    Overhead/snatch stuff.

Day 2:
    Squat 1 x 5, Squat 2 x 5 @ 95% of top set
    <Assistance work>
    Cleans n' shit.

Day 3:
    Bench 3 x 5
    Press 3 x 8
    <Assistance work>
    Overhead/snatch stuff.

Day 4
    Squat 2 x 5 @ 80%
    Deadlift 1 x 5
    <Assistance work>
    More cleans n' shit.

I'm probably slowly going to add more Olympic lifts in/focus more on them. Did some snatching today, as an example. But I don't want it to fatigue me from the main strength stuff, so it always comes last. The goal of the program right now is simply "get strong as fucking fuck". I also want to firmly end up at 105 kg or so.

Progression at the moment is:
    +2kg/session on squat
    +2.5kg/session on deadlift
    +1kg/session on press
    +1.5kg/session on bench

My program is probably half-retarded, but it seems to work for me. It's loosely based on one of Andy Baker's programs, actually. (That probably makes up the non-retarded half.) Really prefer the split over something like the Texas Method.

Any suggestions from you or anyone else are of course welcome.
    Last edited by zft; 04-05-2019 at 05:58 AM.

BP 97.5 x {5, 5, 5}
    Press 58 x {8, 8, 8}
    Dips 23 x {5, 5, 4}
    Overhead squat work and snatches.

Cool. Sadly, I've no experience with training the Olympic lifts. But if you're making progress it's obviously working out for you. Looks like you have room in your program to add more sets to your bench and press when you do stagnate at a later stage. I had some good progress on my bench by doing one top set of 5/3/1, followed by 4 back off sets. Same on the press. That made me increase my bench steadily each week for quite some time. There's some good videos on Andy's YouTube channel where he talks about this.

Looks like you have room in your program to add more sets to your bench and press when you do stagnate at a later stage. I had some good progress on my bench by doing one top set of 5/3/1, followed by 4 back off sets. Same on the press. That made me increase my bench steadily each week for quite some time.
    Thanks for this tip, been wondering what sort of reasonable modifications I should make once the stalls do happen. I need to go back and read the Intermediate chapter in Practical Programming as well.

There's some good videos on Andy's YouTube channel where he talks about this.
    Could you link the video? Wasn't obvious to me which one it was.

Squat 158 x {5, 5}
    Deadlift 221.5 x 5
    3 Power cleans + 1 clean 102 x {4, 4, 4, 4}
    Rows 100 x {5, 5, 5}

Figured hoarding ten 20 kg plates for my deadlift set was worthy of a video:

Deadlift 221.5 kg x 5 on Vimeo

yea sorry:

YouTube
    YouTube

It's for HLM, but it's applicable for "heavy" and "med/light" on 4-day split as well.

And nice deadlift.

starting strength coach development program
    yea sorry:

YouTube
    YouTube

It's for HLM, but it's applicable for "heavy" and "med/light" on 4-day split as well.

And nice deadlift.

Thanks; the FAQ video really helped clarify how I'd productively increase the volume.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast