Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: zft's log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    BP 100.5 x {5, 5, 5}
    Press 60 x {8, 8, 7}
    LTE (EZ + 37) x {10, 10, 8}

Took a few days off and skipping heavy squats this week to let some tendinitis heal up. But, hey, finally broke into the triple digits on my bench:

Bench 100.5 kg x 5
    Last edited by zft; 04-30-2019 at 02:50 PM.

Did a somewhat heavier squat than usual today since I took my heavy day off. Knee felt okay, so that's good. Hamstring also felt better on my deadlift.

Squat 180 x 5
    Deadlift 226.5 x 5
    3 Power cleans + 1 clean 107 x {4, 4, 4, 4}
    Chins 0 x 10 (Ran out of time )

Second set of today's cleans:

3 Power cleans + 1 clean 107 kg on Vimeo

The bar is rolling forward at the beginning of the pull. Happens on the first rep of my deadlifts often as well; need to address it.
    Last edited by zft; 05-01-2019 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    Second set of today's cleans:

3 Power cleans + 1 clean 107 kg on Vimeo

The bar is rolling forward at the beginning of the pull. Happens on the first rep of my deadlifts often as well; need to address it.
    Have you tried getting to your set position then waiting a sec or two before pulling? Kind of looks like rather than rolling, you get to set position and immediately pull your shoulders back to start the pull... stay over it longer? but grain of salt - probably needs a more qualified eye than mine!!

Quote Originally Posted by granny View Post
    Have you tried getting to your set position then waiting a sec or two before pulling? Kind of looks like rather than rolling, you get to set position and immediately pull your shoulders back to start the pull... stay over it longer
    I think the issue is a combination of not staying over the bar properly (which I need to do better regardless) and starting with the bar slightly behind mid-foot. I'm guessing this is also why I only have this problem on my first rep of deadlifts--once I lower it after the first rep, the bar is in the correct position. Going to first just try setting up with the bar slightly further away from my shins and see what happens.

I tried pausing before pulling after I transitioned to the clean set-up described in SS, but I really didn't like how it felt. Something about starting an explosive movement from a dead-stop like that doesn't feel right to me.

but grain of salt - probably needs a more qualified eye than mine!!
    Any thoughts are always welcome and I agree with what you said, at any rate.
    Last edited by zft; 05-04-2019 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    I think the issue is a combination of not staying over the bar properly (which I need to do better regardless) and starting with the bar slightly behind mid-foot. I'm guessing this is also why I only have this problem on my first rep of deadlifts--once I lower it after the first rep, the bar is in the correct position. Going to first just try setting up with the bar slightly further away from my shins and see what happens.

I tried pausing before pulling after I transitioned to the clean set-up described in SS, but I really didn't like how it felt. Something about starting an explosive movement from a dead-stop like that doesn't feel right to me.

Any thoughts are always welcome and I agree with what you said, at any rate.
    IDK, for me with cleans/snatches, being patient always felt like waiting too long - yet it always worked after I learned to stay over and pull the bar to my hip (this took me years because my coach said pull the bar back, and I was thinking, well my legs're in the way - he meant pull my legs back too, duh!).
    The SS setup, I don't use. Setup for a maximum pull, which no one can clean, so... I may have missed something.
    It doesn't matter to me where my butt starts as long as it winds up where it needs to be for the 2nd/3rd pull (THAT is where the explosiveness comes in. 1st pull sole purpose is to put you in optimal position for a good 2nd pull and pull under). I would try to think: fast, and FASTER.

The SS setup, I don't use. Setup for a maximum pull, which no one can clean, so... I may have missed something.
    It helped me stop looping the bar forward and seems to be working, so I've basically been sticking with it. The rationale, if I recall correctly, is that it's the most efficient bar path (and it's easy to teach).

Anyway, started at an Olympic weightlifting club and fucked around for the last week or so, hence no updates. Gonna be switching up my programming. But, for today:

Press 75 x {5, 5, 5}
    Deadlift 229 x 5
    Clean + jerk to 100 kg

Squat 190 x 5, 180 x 5
    Bench 101 x {5, 5, 4}

Press 76 x {5, 5, 5}
    Deadlift 231.5 x 5
    CGBP 85 x {8, 8, 8}
    Chins 0 x {I don't even know}

Squat 195 x 5, 185 x {5, 5}
    Chins 15 x {5, 5, 5}
    Power clean 110 x {3, 3, 3, 3}

Keeping my knee slide in check on the squats, feelin' good. No knee pain. 200 x 5 next week!

starting strength coach development program
    Bench 102 x {5, 5, 5}
    Press 61 x {8, 8, 8}
    LTE (EZ + 38) x {10, 10, 10}

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast