starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 43 Year Old Powerlifter Isn't Competing for a While - Just Trying to Get SWOLE!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    holding it down for us mailmen

I've got my first meet planned for in the middle of next year USAPL

you are absolutely right December is rough......we get a small reprieve here and then back to 100+ heat index hahaha

Default Some Lifts Stronger, Some Lifts Weaker

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    holding it down for us mailmen

I've got my first meet planned for in the middle of next year USAPL

you are absolutely right December is rough......we get a small reprieve here and then back to 100+ heat index hahaha
    100 already? Texas heat must be no joke. Today, I was just happy to get an almost 60 degree day with rain in the morning.

Best of luck and strength in preparing for your first meet! Unless something changes, that's also about the time (July) I expect to get back on the platform.

As of yesterday (Sunday 12/29) morning, my bodyweight is holding at 219.6 lbs, about 4.5 lbs up from the 215 or I was walking around with at the start of this Doggcrapp/HIT experiment. Pretty good - I'll take it!

I've done 2 sessions since my last post. I was supposed to train yesterday, but after crashing way harder than I expected Saturday night (no alcohol or drugs, just tired), I just spent all day at home yesterday, watching football and movies, and eating. I think it set me up nicely for the start of this week. Hopefully, I can get the 3 prescribed sessions in this week, especially since I started on Monday.

Friday, December 27, 2019 - Workout B2 (new exercise rotation): biceps, forearms, calves, hamstrings, quads

1. Standing EZ-bar Curls

3 warm ups
    rest-pause set: 80/12 + 5 + 3

I cheated the weight up to the top at the start of each stage of the rest-pause, so I could begin with a negative. I did a slow negative after the last rep of the 2nd and 3rd stages.

2. Standing EZ-bar Reverse Curls

straight set: 65/10

3. Calf Press - on leg press

100/15 - moderate tempo
    210/15 - moderate tempo
    2 sets w/DC-style reps (peak contraction, 5 count negative, 5 count stretch at the bottom): 310/10, 11

4. Sumo Leg Press - feet high and wide on platform, just using my heels

3 warm ups
    straight set: 400/13

This was 40 lbs more than I used the last time I did these (12/2/19), for the same number of reps. That's the biggest jump in weight - raw number or percentage - I've had on any exercise from one session to the next. Granted, there were 4 weeks between these sessions instead of 2 as prescribed. It also seemed to catch up to me on the next exercise...

5. Leg Press

3 warms ups
    straight set: 625/7 - that's 3 reps less than last time (12/2/19)
    The "Widowmaker": 450/20 - 50 lbs less than last time

Maybe the heavier load on the sumo LP caught up to me on the normal LP. Maybe I was just running out of gas. Bummer at the end, but I went up on everything else, and count the session as a win overall.

Also, the Total Gym Ab Machine got used throughout the session: 5 sets of 25 reps (125 total)

Monday, December 30, 2019 - Workout A3 (new exercise rotation): chest, shoulders, triceps, back width, back thickness

1. Decline Bench Press

4 warm ups
    rest-pause set: 215/11 + 4 + 2

This was 10 lbs more than I used last time, with only 2 fewer total reps. Being able to do these on with my feet on the floor makes all the difference in the world. I feel these where you're supposed to. This set gave me probably the most noticeable chest pump I've ever felt. I wasn't seeking that, but I definitely noticed it.

2. OHP

2 warm ups
    rest-pause set: 120/10 + 4 + 2 w/10 sec hold at the top and slow negative on the final rep of the entire set

This was 5 lbs more than last time, with the same reps. So far, so good.

3. Standing Triceps Pressdown - w/rope attachment

1 warm up
    rest-pause drop set: 75/10 + 70/7 + 70/3.5

4. Chin ups - underhand, w/Versa Gripps

2 warm up sets (jump to top position, negative) x 7 reps
    rest-pause: BW/15 + 7 + 4

5. Chest Supported Row

1 warm up
    straight set: 145/13

Default Squatting My Way Into 2020

I was hoping to go to a small get together at the home of one of my brothers, who happens to live about an hour's drive from me. Unfortunately, I didn't get off work until almost 8pm, and that was the beginning of my wife and I not going. The idea of training at night, sleeping in, and having a relaxed recovery day was preferable for me, so I went to the gym. Turned out to be a decent way to end this new Doggcrapp rotation (I'm back to A1 next session), and a decent way to end 2019. If I'm blessed to have training in 2020 go the way 2019 ended, then this part of my life could be pretty good.

Tuesday, December 31, 2019 - Workout B3 (new exercise rotation): biceps, forearms, calves, hamstrings, quads

1. Seated DB Curl - back pad was one hole away from having me sit completely upright. That slight angle seemed to make a difference

2 warm ups
    rest-pause set: 40's/10 + 5 + 3

2. Calf Press - I was supposed to go straight to forearms, but freestyled a little.

115/15
    215/10 - did the hammer curls after this set (see below)
    310/15, 15

I didn't do any of these by DC protocol. Negatives were slow, but not 5-second slow, and I didn't hold the stretch at the bottom for 5 seconds. These still felt pretty awful, so I think they were effective.

3. Standing Hammer Curls

no warm up
    straight set: 30's/16

4. Seated Leg Curl

2 warm ups
    rest-pause set: 160/11 + 6 + 4

5. Squat

5 warm ups
    straight set: 415/6
    backoff set: 315/12 - not a 20-rep "widowmaker", but miserable enough

Best wishes to everyone for a strong and healthy 2020!

Default Bumping Up The Weights

I managed to get my 3rd session for the week done as planned. Hopefully, this trend continues with the new week starting tomorrow. I know, technically it's already Monday, but for me, the next day doesn't start until I go to sleep and wake up.

I weighed 222.4 lbs lthis morning. I don't believe that's legit. I didn't gain 2.8 lbs of a fat/muscle combo in a week.

Friday, January 3, 2020 - Workout A1, 2nd time: chest, shoulders, triceps, back width, back thickness

The last time I did workout A1 was December 18.

1. Bench Press

5 warm ups
    straight set: 260/4 @9.5
    rest-pause set: 215/11 + 3 w/10 second static hold after the last rep

last time I did 255/5 and a 215/10 straight set with a 10 second static hold

2. Standing DB OHP - neutral grip

2 warm ups
    60's/2 - cleaned each rep from the floor
    70's/2 - cleaned each rep from the floor
    That was just an experiment.
    rest-pause set: 55's/11 + 4 + 3 w/slow negative on last rep

last time, I did 50's for 2 straight sets - not back to back - of 12 reps and 8 reps

3. Lying Triceps Extension - EZ bar

2 warm ups
    rest-pause set: 95/8 + 3 + 3 w/slow negative on last rep of each stage

last time, I did 90 for 10 + 4 + 2

4. Pulldowns - triangle handle, neutral grip, Versa Gripps on work set

2 warm ups
    rest-pause set: 180/10 + 4 + 3 w/slow negative on last rep of last stage

last time, I did 175/11 + 5 + 2 w/slow negative on last rep of last stage

5. Barbell Rows - Versa Gripps on work sets

2 warm ups
    straight superset: 225/8 + 225/10 power shrugs - never put the bar down until the shrugs were done. That was a freestyle.
    straight set: 195/15

last time, I did 215 for one awful set of 9 reps

Total Gym Abs: did 5 sets of 25, spread around the workout

Default Last Week's Video, This Week's DoggCrapp (DC) Training

Here is a brief video recap of last week's training. The visuals include OHP rest-paused for 120/10+4+2, SQ 415/6 and 315/12, BP 260/4 and BB rows 225/8. The voiceover commentary includes my general suggestions for how to return to training after layoffs of varying lengths.

I only got in the gym twice last week. One session less than I wanted, but I feel good about the 2 sessions I did. That's 5 sessions in 2 weeks - not bad considering that before last week, I'd missed 12 days from the gym.

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 - Workout B1 (2nd time): biceps, forearms, calves, hamstrings, quads

The last time I did workout B1 was December 20.

1. Machine Preacher Curls

2 warmups
    rest-pause: 65/11 + 5 + 2

Last time, I did 60/11 + 4 + 2

2. Machine Reverse Preacher Curls

straight set: 50/13

Last time, I did 45/13

3. Calf Press - on leg press

115/15
    215/15
    315/15, 15 - did every rep of every set except the final 3 with a slow negative (not 5 seconds, maybe 2-3), squeeze at top, and stretch at bottom

Last time I did calves (12/31), I topped out at 310/15, 15 with all reps as described above.

4. RDL

4 warmups
    straight set: 330/12

Last time, I did 325/11

5. Sumo DL - moderate sumo stance, wearing Oly shoes w/elevated heel, hoping this helps engage quads more. If not, they're still deadlifts.

4 warmups
    460/1 x 7 sets, completed in 7:21

Last time, I did 455/1 x 6 sets, completed in 7:14

6. Leg Extensions

1 warmup
    straight set: 150/15

Last time, I did 150/13. I need to rest-pause these next time.

Ab Wheel: 5 sets of 12 (60 total reps), spread around the workout. I saw one of these laying around and decided to switch from the Total Gym ab apparatus.

Friday, December 10, 2020 - Workout A2 (2nd time): chest, shoulders, triceps, back width, back thickness

The last time I did workout A2 was December 23.

1. Incline BP

5 warmups
    rest-pause: 195/9 + 3 + 3 w/3 partial reps at the very end

Last time, I did 195/9 + 3 + 2 w/10 second static hold at the end.

2. Shoulder Press Machine

2 warmups
    rest-pause: 160/13 + 6 w/slow negative + 4 w/slow negative - the exaggerated negatives are only on the last rep of the set

Last time, I did 150/15 + 5 + 4

3. Close Grip BP

2 warmups
    rest-pause: 190/11 + 3 + 3

Last time, I did 185/11 + 4 + 3

4. Pullups - overhand grip, just outside shoulder width

2 warmups - did pulldowns for these
    rest-pause: BW/16 + 8 + 5 - admittedly, the ROM on some of these were questionable.

Last time, I did BW/12 + 7 + 5

5. Seated Row - neutral grip, low handle

2 warmups
    rest-pause: 210/9 + 5 + 3 w/10 second negative on very last rep

Last time, I did 190/15 + 8 + 6.

Ab Wheel: 4 sets of 10 (40 reps total), spread around the workout. My abs were cooked after using the ab wheel on Wednesday for the first time in ages. I almost skipped abs altogether on Friday because of it, but decided to press through and keep with my habit of training abs directly on every trip to the gym.

Looking ahead, getting to the gym is going to be tough this week. As usual, I don't know how much OT I'll be working. But, I also have some obligations/appointments after work a few days this week as well. 2 sessions might be all I can do this week. We'll see...
    Last edited by K.Diesel; 01-12-2020 at 09:42 PM.

Default Facing Reality

Unfortunately, I haven't been in the gym in a week. 9 days to be exact. I really like this DoggCrapp split, and it seems to be working. This morning, I weighed 219.6 lbs, up 6 or so lbs since I started this. But the reality is that I need to do full body training sessions for now. That way, in case I miss a session, there are no excessive gaps in how long I train a muscle group or movement pattern. So here's the rotation I plan on doing for the next 2 months, training twice per week starting today (January 19 - March 19). My wife and I are planning a weekend away starting March 20, so that seems like a good spot to pause and re-evaluate. Because of evening commitments after work, I plan on training Mon/Thu one week, and Mon/Fri the next week.

I still plan on using the DC-style rest pause sets on most exercises, stretches after exercises. I hesitate to call this "Modified DoggCrapp", because I have a feeling that if you aren't following the split, Dante and DC purists would say you're not doing the program at all. But that's the idea here:

Workout 1
    Incline Bench Press
    Standing BTN Press
    Underhand Pulldown
    EZ-bar Curl/Reverse Curl
    Squat

Workout 2
    Standing DB OHP
    Close Grip Bench Press
    Chest Supported Row
    Romanian Deadlift
    Leg Extension

Workout 3
    Leg Press
    Bench Press
    Pullups
    Lying Triceps Extension
    Machine Curl/Reverse Curl

Workout 4
    OHP
    BB Row/Shrug
    Decline Bench Press
    Leg Curl
    Sumo DL

Ideally, abs and calves will get a few sets on each of these days. We'll see how this goes. I'm going to the gym in the next hour or so. (fingers crossed)
    Last edited by K.Diesel; 01-23-2020 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Revised workout plan

Im interested to see how these hypertrophy blocks play out in the long run when you return to strength.

Ive often pondered doing this myself to give my joints a break, and maybe bump up a weight class by getting some novice effect out of new movements.

Ill be keeping an eye out!

Ps. Why is it called doggcrapp?

Default Why You Should Compete, and Back In The Gym

Quote Originally Posted by BradBv View Post
    Im interested to see how these hypertrophy blocks play out in the long run when you return to strength.

Ive often pondered doing this myself to give my joints a break, and maybe bump up a weight class by getting some novice effect out of new movements.

Ill be keeping an eye out!

Ps. Why is it called doggcrapp?
    The DC originator, Dante Trudel answered that in an interview. Not sure when this was, but he posted it on his forum in 2006.

Ron Harris: Why the name, ‘Doggcrapp?’ I mean, from a marketing point of view, you’ll remember it, but didn’t you have second thoughts that it would be mocked?

Dante Trudel: Yea that was a real ingenious move on my part was'nt it? I definitely should be nominated "idiot of the year" for that one (laughing). What happened was 6 years ago I was a member of a small but elite bodybuilding board on the net which had about 50 members. I never posted, I just read the board. I had viewed some posts by advanced bodybuilders on that board that I felt were very detrimental toward their health. I decided to respond and posted with the anomynous screenname of Doggcrapp. I thought it would be one post and kaput, done and over with. BIG BIG HUGE MISJUDGEMENT! People were intrigued with what I had to say and kept asking questions and I kept answering and it became an encyclopedia. That post became 118 pages long and had over a quarter of a million views. My posts back then were cut and pasted onto bodybuilding sites all over the net, people started using my methods and gaining rapidly, telling freinds....and it carried on thru word of mouth like a wildfire and sadly to say Im stuck with the name "Doggcrapp" now. If I could do it all over again Ron trust me, I would of given myself a much classier name.

There you go... he tells the story better than I would. Thank you for checking in & following along!

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

I just posted this video yesterday, and I think it's especially relevant to this general training forum. Please let it play all the way to the end, even if you don't listen to it all. Thank you!

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

Sunday, January 19, 2020 -Workout #1

1. Incline Bench Press

3 warm ups
    rest-pause set: 195/10 + 3 + 2 w/4 partial reps

Last time I did these (12/23/19), I did 195/9 + 3 + 2 w/static hold

2. Behind the Neck Press (standing)

2 warm ups
    straight set: 85/10

This might have been my first time ever doing these. Obviously, the weight is pretty low, but this was pretty tough. Tempo was steady. I didn't keep count, but maybe 2-3 seconds on both the postitives and negatives.

3. Underhand Pulldowns - short bar attachment

2 warm ups
    rest-pause set: 170/15 + 7 + 5

I haven't done underhand pull downs in a long time.

4. EZ Bar Curls - standing

1 warm up
    rest-pause set: 90/9 + 4 + 1

Failed an attempt at #2 on the last phase of the RP.

5. Squat

6 warm ups
    straight set: 420/5
    back-off set: 315/12

Last time I did these (12/31/19), I did 415/6, followed by 315/12. I think I cheated myself out of a 6th rep.

Default Workout #2, Thursday 1/23/20

I wish I could have had yesterday's light workload today. This was one of those days on which I had to deliver my entire route, and 1/3 of another route. That other route has stairs and hills too. My phone says I did 9.6 miles of urban hiking today, with 20,590 steps, and climbed the equivalent of 32 flights of stairs (each flight = 10 feet/3 meters of elevation gain) in a 10 1/2 hour workday. Off to the gym anyway...

1. Standing DB OHP - rotated during the reps. Neutral at the bottom, pronated at the top.

3 warm ups
    rest-pause set: 60's/10 + 5 + 3 w/extra slow negative on very last rep

Last time I did these (1/3/20), I did 55's/11 + 4 + 3

2. Close Grip BP

2 warm ups
    rest-pause set: 200/10 + 4 + 2 w/2 partial reps after the very last 2 full reps

Last time I did these (1/10/20), I did 190/11 + 3 + 3

3. Chest Supported Row

2 warm ups
    rest-pause set: 160/11 + 6 + 4

Last time I did these (12/30/19), I used 145 for a straight set of 13.

4. Romanin Deadlift

3 warm ups
    straight set: 335/10
    straight set: 275/15

Last time I did these (1/8/20), I did one straight set of 330/12.

5. Leg Extension

1 warm up
    straight set: 150/15 - I should have done a rest-pause here.

Default Video for Workout #1, Bad Week

starting strength coach development program
    I spent much of the last week with some real back pain. I woke up Wednesday morning, and with no indication of why, my back felt horrible. It hurt to move, and it hurt to sit still. I hadn't trained in 4-5 days, and nothing had happened at work to make me think I'd hurt myself. I went to the doctor, and got no real answer other than that maybe my mattress needs to be replaced (that's likely true). But I do feel much better after pain relievers, muscle relaxers, and a few more days of rest. I look forward to getting back in the gym Monday or Tuesday.

Meanwhile, here's a video with clips of training from Workout #1. It shows how I do the rest-pause on incline bench, pulldowns, curls. It also has the straight sets of behind the neck press, and squats of 420 x 5 and 315 x 12. This video is part 1 of a 4-part video series I plan to do, explaining how this high intensity, twice per week experiment is going. If you have a moment, please check out part 1 and let me know what you think. For those who do, thank you for watching, and thanks in advance for any feedback.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast