starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My SS training modified for being middle aged with some running goals

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Monday 3/9:
    Box Squat: 210x3x3 Ankle sore and unstable, taped it up and focused on form, did partner's weight.
    Bench:165x8x3
    Power Clean: 95x3x5 (5x3 press from the top of the last clean).
    chins:7,6,6

Tuesday 3/10: half hour mixed low heart rate cardio: walking/rower/assault bike.

Thursday 3/12:
    Squat: 205x5, 215x5, 225x5. Ankle feeling more stable, felt good after.
    Press: 125x2 (ugh, what happened!!), 115x5, 115x5
    Deadlift: 275x5, felt pretty good, got a few with normal grip before switching to hook.
    chins: 8,7,6
    calf raises, 2-legged with bodyweight 25x1 (favoring the good ankle. My achilles / calf took a beating), Star protocol isn't appropriate because it's not a muscle belly tear, but I need to figure out some kind of calf raise progression.
    Last edited by bikesandcars; 03-12-2020 at 07:00 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    3/14:
    15 minutes easy cardio.
    3 rounds of circuit training: Power Clean, DB Bench, DB Row, Front Squat from PC, DB press, chins, hanging leg raise: 25 seconds on, 35 seconds off, start next exercise every minute.

10 mile race cancelled because of Covid19. I have mixed feelings. My ankle is getting better quickly but doing the race wouldn't be fun.

My takeaways: I was generally happy with 2x a week strength training and 2x a week long low heart rate (LLHR) cardio with Tuesdays around 1 hr mixed and Saturday a long run (1.5 hrs). It was obviously a compromise situation but OK for a family guy. Since I was somewhat de-trained in strength, a little heavy, and and very de-trained in distance running my strength numbers climbed and my running numbers improved. If I was ever to seriously do a half or full marathon I would start earlier, make cutting fat a priority, and add in more mileage. At the moment I have no plans to do that, it's too time consuming and I don't enjoy running enough.

Thus concludes my specific running goals. My current goals: life and preparing for active things. I plan to continue doing a reduced level of LLHR every week, that had some useful benefits for me. Adding more strength work.
    Last edited by bikesandcars; 03-16-2020 at 05:57 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123