• starting strength seminar august 2024
    Friday 4/2/21 - Black Mountain Strength

Squat: 275x5

Bench: 225x5

Monday 4/5/21 - Black Mountain Strength

Squat: 295x5

295x5 - YouTube

Bench: 200x5x5

So apparently I was incorrect in assuming my wonky quad is back to normal after a full training cycle with decently heavy weights and no issues. It still does not tolerate any significant weight jumps under any circumstances. Just the jump from 275 to 295 from Friday to Monday was enough to bother it despite the fact that I had squatted 365 the week before. So odd. So I'll be doing a lot of ramping sets in order to get things back on track

Wednesday 4/7/21 - Black Mountain Strength

Press: 135x5x3

Deadlift: 315x5

Gonna be a light week

Friday 4/9/21 - Black Mountain Strength

Squat: 300x3, 305x3

305x3 - YouTube

Bench: 230x5

This cycle I'm going to experiment with not doing 5's on the Squat. I think those 4th and 5th reps on limit sets really increase the chances of me either getting loose enough to tweak my back or the extra time under tension is too much for my wonky quad. I should be able to make just as much progress with 4's on volume day and 3's,2's,1's on Intensity Day without the added injury risk. I also think I will recover better in general

Monday 4/12/21 - Black Mountain Strength

Squat: 260x4x4

Bench: 205x5x5

Chins: BWx5x5

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Friday 4/9/21 - Black Mountain Strength

Squat: 300x3, 305x3

305x3 - YouTube

Bench: 230x5

This cycle I'm going to experiment with not doing 5's on the Squat. I think those 4th and 5th reps on limit sets really increase the chances of me either getting loose enough to tweak my back or the extra time under tension is too much for my wonky quad. I should be able to make just as much progress with 4's on volume day and 3's,2's,1's on Intensity Day without the added injury risk. I also think I will recover better in general
    Same here, that’s why I really like ramping sets on the squat. Still get in some 5s for added volume/practice before hitting one heavy top set of 3-5 reps. I find my technique on the squat doesn’t feel locked in until the third or fourth set when doing something like volume 5x5 for example which leaves a lot of room for me to tweak something on earlier sets.

On a previous cycle I experimented with using heavy 3s for most of my main work and I was also able to progress fine but I like ramping sets for the fact that it allows me to practice 5s at submax weights and keeps me accustomed to doing 5s in general.

Ryan - I started Andy Baker's new "Garage Gym Warrior II" program recently, upon his recommendation. Loving it so far. One hallmark: No reps of 5 on the heaviest sets. Rather, increasing numbers of sets of usually 3 reps. Really helping me to not get so run down while still making good progress as an intermediate.
    Last edited by BastiatBB; 04-13-2021 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manis5 View Post
    Same here, that’s why I really like ramping sets on the squat. Still get in some 5s for added volume/practice before hitting one heavy top set of 3-5 reps. I find my technique on the squat doesn’t feel locked in until the third or fourth set when doing something like volume 5x5 for example which leaves a lot of room for me to tweak something on earlier sets.

On a previous cycle I experimented with using heavy 3s for most of my main work and I was also able to progress fine but I like ramping sets for the fact that it allows me to practice 5s at submax weights and keeps me accustomed to doing 5s in general.
    Makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by BastiatBB View Post
    Ryan - I started Andy Baker's new "Garage Gym Warrior II" program recently, upon his recommendation. Loving it so far. One hallmark: No reps of 5 on the heaviest sets. Rather, increasing numbers of sets of usually 3 reps. Really helping me to not get so run down while still making good progress as an intermediate.

Yes its a somewhat natural transition at some point. I think a lot of intermediates get stuck because they want to/think they need to grind through 5's like they did on LP. We are not out to let ourselves off easy, but we can just be smarter about it

starting strength coach development program
    Wednesday 4/14/21 - Black Mountain Strength

Press: 140x5, 135x5x2

Deadlift: 335x5

Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast