Thread: COVID, "Quarantine", and Kettlebells

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    5/9/20
    Heavy Day
    KB Press + Pull-ups 55x5x(4,3,2,1)
    Swings 55x5m (80)

Added a "rung" to the ladders this week, but reversed them. Makes more sense to me to do the most challenging set first. Not sure why I'd fatigue myself with easy singles and doubles. My thinking is that by reversing it, I'll be guaranteed to have the energy for the higher rep sets, and they'll fatigue me enough that the singles and doubles will be worthwhile. All things considered, a total of 50 presses, 50 pull-ups, and 80 swings is a decent day's work.

5/10/20
    Dip cluster sets 55x4x5
    Assorted curl and fly bullshit

Was reading a bunch of stuff about cluster sets for strength the other day, and decided to give them a try on weighted dips. Going to use dips as my bench replacement. The cluster sets are just for the sake of trying out something new. Basically just tossed on my weighted vest, and did sets of four singles with 15s rest between them. The idea is to use the short rest to get more reps that you'd normally be able to with a given weight. Something like 4-6 reps with what should be your 3RM. Haven't done much dipping for a while, so 5 sets of 4 with an extra 55 lbs felt like a decent place to start.

starting strength coach development program
    5/12/20
    Light Day
    KB Press 55x5x(1,2,3)
    KB rows 55x10x5
    KB high pull practice x 8m
    Assorted arm and shoulder bullshit

Everything felt like shit after weighted dips. Did my presses but rowed instead of doing pull-ups, and did some easy high pulls instead of snatching. Dicked around with dumbbells later. Not a great day, but got the main stuff done.

5/14/20
    Medium Day
    KB press 55x5x(4,3,2,1)
    Swings 55x3m (60)

5/16/20
    Heavy Day
    KB Press+PU 55x4x(5,4,3,2,1)
    Stupid cluster fuck of a bike ride

Added a rung to the ladders, but dropped a set. Had a bit of a time crunch, and figured this already works out to an overall increase in volume over last week. Let myself off the hooks for swings, because the time crunch was due to a planned bike ride with another teacher and a few of our students. Long story, but I ended up riding a busted ass bike for close to four hours, so I was pretty happy that I didn't swing first.

5/17/20
    Dip clusters 55x5x5
    Shrimp clusters 55x4x3

Kept up with some clusters today. Added a rep to each dip cluster, and added shrimp squats to the routine as my squat substitute. Shrimp squats are also known as skater squats/lunges, but I go with the shrimp nomenclature because it's more fun. Basically a unilateral squat that, in my estimation, resembles a low bar squat more than a pistol. Kept the volume fairly low as I haven't done anything resembling a squat in a while, and I expect to be duly sore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12