starting strength gym
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Niks journal

Default Niks journal

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ok I migrated over from another site where I used to keep my journal, just prefer to keep it here.

A little about myself, Im 6'3" long limbs and a shorter torso then most. I have a seperated shoulder injury that occured almost 2 years ago that I train with. No pain really, so no worries about that. My lower body&back has always had an easier time progressing then my upper body.

Im hoovering around 225 it seems right now. Im doing a variation of Madcows 5x5 advanced program. Next week I will be starting the 3x3 phase.

My lifts ending in the 5x5 loading phase were: (ended today)

Bench - 230x5x5
    Squat - 255x5x5
    Row - 185x5x5
    Deadlift - 335x1x5 (Deadlifts are the only exercise I use ramping sets 1x5)
    OH press 135x5x5
    Pull ups - 5x5 + 10lb's

And my overall short term goals for the big 3 are to get:

Bench 315
    Squat 355
    deadlift 405

I still got a long way to go and a lot more to learn

Welcome Nik

I began my 3x3 phase,

like described it was a bit of a break at the same time. Keeping the same weight from last weeks 5's.

today was:

Bench 3x3x230
    Squat 3x3x255
    Row 3x3x185

light cardio, jumping rope mixed with some push ups.

Deadlifts ramping sets 275/315/340x1x3
    OH press 135x3x3
    Pull ups +15 lb's 3x3

did 1 ab, and curls along with some dips. Nothing big.

So far this week has been relatively easy in regards to lifting the weight, but I know that will soon change in the coming weeks :P

Bench 235x3x3
    Squat 265x3x3
    Row 190x3x3

Everything felt great, no troubles at all. Eager to keep the weight going up.

I also added in some some assistant exercises 2 sets each.

Glute ham
    Pull ups body weight only 8 reps
    dips body weight 12 reps

I have actually gained some weight im hoovering around 226 right now. Im not paying particular attention but the pants are no tighter so im assuming most of the gain has been muscle. which as martha stewart would say, its a good thing.

Semi-pro football season starts again early next spring and would like to be in great shape for it.

My long term lifting goals are
    Squat: 405
    Bench: 320
    Deadlift: 450

I wanna reach those first, and go from there. It would be nice to get that by next season, but realistically I wont get them that soon.

trying to maintain a 4.6 in the 40 as well...but would like to see that lower staying around the 225-230 weight mark. Im usually a tight end, so I suppose thats what im shooting for.

I think that after you finish this cycle, you can try a more simple program with weekly periodization to see if it works. If I am not mistaken you have never tried one.

And better start eating more. It's the phase of supercompensation now.

Yeah I have never really been on one.

I was doing HST type stuff for a long time and before that I was in the darkness doing 5 day splits...*shutter*

and this was the first true strength program I have ever been on thanks to you. I have no problem trying a simpler program even to see. I think it would be worth it if I can still see progression from work out to workout, and do that until switching back to a weekly progression program.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutorious View Post
    Yeah I have never really been on one.

I was doing HST type stuff for a long time and before that I was in the darkness doing 5 day splits...*shutter*
    Most of us were in the darkness you are talking about.

and this was the first true strength program I have ever been on thanks to you. I have no problem trying a simpler program even to see. I think it would be worth it if I can still see progression from work out to workout, and do that until switching back to a weekly progression program.
    I didn't know you had no experience with such programs or I wouldn't advice this one
    Anyhow, now you can tolerate a lot of volume, which is good. After you finish the 3x3 phase you should try Starting Strength (which probably won't last long) and then something like the Texas method.

Monday workout.

Bench 240x3x3
    Squat 275x3x3
    Row 195x3x3

Added in some ab exercises, and some body weight pull ups.

I also fainted during my workout and busted my nose...possibly broke it.

I get light headed whenever I do cleans, and lately I clean the weight up whenever I get done with my rows. Every single time I clean the weight up, I get very light headed.

Well tonight, I cleaned the weight up. Racked it...and the next thing I know im face first on the ground.

I have never fainted before, and never have this problem with any other lift...I asked rippetoe about this problem, but he hasnt gotten to it yet it seems...I dont know whats wrong with my body thats making me do this. I wish I could go to the doctor.

My sinuses have been extra bad lately...maybe that had something to do with it...

anyway after I woke up and stopped the bleeding I did my sets of abs, and pull ups...

starting strength coach development program
    Wed. workout

Deadlift 285, 325, 350x1x3
    OH press 145x3x3
    Pull ups + 20 lb's 3x3

added in some dips and some weighted sit ups.

I also worked on my cleans after my big lifts, fortunately no face plants today. However I did experience light headedness while performing the cleans. the bar was not up against my throat.

So im still trying to figure out what im doing wrong... other then that was a great workout.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast