starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe's training for life...

Default Joe's training for life...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    The title kind of sums it up. I'm training for life now-a-days. I competed in powerlifting and strongman back in the day. I was a personal trainer working for myself for 20 years (ended that almost 7 years ago now). Now I've got a "normal" job. I'm a Husband, and a father and these things take priority. However, I've seen the benefit of health and staying strong first hand so I try to emphasize that priority to my family all the time.
    I always seem to "try" different programs and honestly I always just go back to doing what I feel like. I'm currently 46 and have been training for 30+ years so the thought that an online guru will know my body better than myself is funny. I've also looked for advice from some of these people and they've even told me the same. It's just hard for me to accept my biggest numbers are probably behind me. LOL. Life goes on.

So, fun stuff:
    Best Squat - 555, also did 315 for a set of 20 once and did 315 for 10 x 10 once
    Best Bench - 425, better with singles, did 315 x 10 only twice in my life
    Best Deadlift - 675, missed 675 probably close to 20 times before finally getting it. I've pulled 405 x 31 reps at Dave Palumbo's Bros vs Pros. I pulled 500 x 16 at a BBing show as the entertainment between pre-judging and the finals. And I pulled 585 x 7.
    So, I was probably best built for pulling. LOL, but I love benching.

Training: I followed westside for a while, normal bodybuilding type stuff, obviously powerlifting style training which was mostly my own thing. I did strongman comps for a few seasons and even qualified for Nationals twice but that was a bout it. I played with 5/3/1 although I came up with a very similar idea for a buddy and myself before I ever heard of Wendler (or Westside for that matter). I like Pavel. I like Dan John. Palumbo is much smarter than people realize.

So, there's the beginning of what I hope will be my journal for a long time. I enjoy looking back on what worked, what didn't, what life was throwing at me, etc.
    If you have comments or suggestions, I'll listen. If you have questions, I'll try to help.

Screenshot 2023-12-10 204154.jpg

Screenshot 2023-12-10 204133.jpg

The last few weeks of my training. Some days there were accessories tossed in and some days not.
    Now that I'm getting this going I'll be more specific as I go.
    Just wanted a bit of background before jumping right in.

So, as far as my current numbers go my squat is doing fine and it's probably the last lift I care to push right now. I just want to continue doing the movement.
    The bench press I am never satisfied with. Currently my 1rm is somewhere in the neighborhood of 350. It'll take a decent amount of work and more calories to push that up.
    Deadlift was set low on purpose and has the most room to continue climbing. My next session has me pulling 345 for 1+ How many I do will just be when I feel like stopping or if some little tweak or twinge pops up.
    Overheads are currently right around 210-215 for a single and that's about right. If I want that to climb significantly, I'd need to press more often. I made very good gains on overheads when I did it 2 days a week. One day focused on push presses and more reps to coordinate my leg drive and the other day was the z-press where you are seated on the floor with legs straight out. This completely eliminates leg drive (obviously) and just hammers shoulders. I did heavy sets here in the 1-3 range. This routine was during my strongman days when I had 2 contests a month apart that both started with an overhead press. I won one event and tied for first in the other.

It's good to see you are still at it. I'm fascinated by the fact that many people lift for a few years and then quit forever. I've tried with some older friends to get them back at it but to no avail. I didn't get started lifting until I was 66. Now at 76 the only lift I've done that is in your area is the Deadlift. My top single in 375. If I can ever best that I will be very happy.

Keep up the good work. Everyone who is able should keep at it. You may not ever reach your highest numbers from years ago but you will be able to play with your grandkids without getting exhausted.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    It's good to see you are still at it. I'm fascinated by the fact that many people lift for a few years and then quit forever. I've tried with some older friends to get them back at it but to no avail. I didn't get started lifting until I was 66. Now at 76 the only lift I've done that is in your area is the Deadlift. My top single in 375. If I can ever best that I will be very happy.

Keep up the good work. Everyone who is able should keep at it. You may not ever reach your highest numbers from years ago but you will be able to play with your grandkids without getting exhausted.
    375 is awesome!! Congrats.
    I honestly can't imagine not doing some form of exercise. I hope to continue until my last days for sure.

Facebook

So like I said some life stuff will be in here. My son has been hurting the last 2 days pretty bad (chronic migraines) so we've been pretty stressed dealing with school and trying to help him etc.
    So I snuck in tonight to at least do my deadlifts. And that's all I did.
    145 x 5
    180 x 5
    220 x 5
    275 x 5
    310 x 3
    345 x 17 reps
    So, I have to finish up Overheads later this week sometime and this 4 week cycle will be done (aside from the deload days). I hesitate to say I'm doing 5/3/1 at this point because like I said, I know myself better and do what I feel is right. So, we'll see how the next rotation goes.

Facebook

Squats today.
    Broke off my 5/3/1 and went a bit different today just to feel it out. Felt pretty good.
    bar x 5
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 3
    275 x 3
    315 x 1
    365 x 1
    405 x 1
    325 x 3x3

Then I went home.
    Everything felt much slower than what I see on my videos. LOL I'm glad nothing got "tweaky" and I feel pretty decent at the moment (just got home).
    Might do something similar for bench tomorrow just to see where I'm at there. Kind of wouldn't mind seeing if 350 goes for 1...

Video

Benched today.
    several warm ups with the bar followed by:
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    275 x 3
    315 x 1
    350 x 1
    280 x 3x3

Then we hit some rope press downs for the old elbows and called it good.
    Connor hit new PR of 155 which went very well. He got a bit out of line with 160 later and missed. His left wrist was hurting a bit.

Connor wanted to go to the gym this evening so off we went.

He did some back stuff and i did some easy shoulder stuff to get the blood in there after benching yesterday:

Seated db press (slightly angled back rest)
    25s x 20
    35s x 20
    45s x 20
    55s x 20

front barbell raise
    45 x 3 sets of 15

upright row
    45 x 3 sets of 15

standing behind the head press
    45 x 3 sets of 15

and that was good enough today.

starting strength coach development program
    Video

Pretty rough week with Connor. Only went to school Monday for a half day (they lost power). Landed in the ER on Wednesday. Had another apt on Thursday. And I won't talk about Friday.
    So, I got into the gym today (Saturday). Last week I was pretty happy with my squat so this week I wanted to deadlift.

few warm ups of body weight squats and toe touches.

Deadlift:
    135 x 5
    225 x 4
    315 x 3
    405 x 2
    500 x 1 which was my plan today and it felt pretty quick and smooth
    550 x 1 Because I felt I had a shot and my buddy sent me a video of his 545 x 1 last night so I had to add 5

Grabbed a 45 pound plate and did 15 rows

Grabbed a 100 pound plate and did 15 rows

Did 3 sets of 10 alt db curls with 40s

And that was it. Felt good.
    550 might have been a touch too much but it went and was good for my head.
    Looking forward to benching with the guys tomorrow.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast