starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting log: January-March 2020

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello

I'm doing something similar after hoppping off LP to avoid buying even fatter pants.

Just curious what kind of weight loss you've seen in these 2 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
    Hello

I'm doing something similar after hoppping off LP to avoid buying even fatter pants.

Just curious what kind of weight loss you've seen in these 2 weeks
    Weight loss is not a function of the lifting routine or even the conditioning shit. It's the diet, which I'm not really recording here. The lifting is mainly to keep strength from dropping off, and conditioning I'm trying a bit of because I don't need a caloric surplus to improve that aspect of performance. That said, I've been trying to avoid the "big drop" I got from previous cutting endeavors when I just went with an immediate switch to a deep deficit. I found that big drop in weight also came with a big drop in strength. In fact, it was during that drop where most of the strength loss of the cut seemed to happen. My assumption is this is because when your deficit is too big, you exceed your body's ability to call up energy from fat stores and it needs to start catabolizing lean tissue to make up for it. So this time I'm pulling bits and pieces of the diet and making changes based on the weekly weigh ins. Goal is to maintain 2 pounds or so per week weight loss, if it falls below that too soon that's when I decrease the calories a little more.

Friday 1/15/2021

Deadlift 325x5x1
    Leg Extensions 50x13x3
    Leg Curls 50x13x3
    Sledmill 34 seconds x2, 60 seconds rest

Think I'm going to go with the lighter sledmill day being reduced interval quantity, not reduced interval length. Seems to give a better workout that way. Having the orthotic only in the left shoe actually seemed to help a lot with my deadlift. I think my left leg may have like a half inch or so difference in length from my right, and fixing it is evening out the amount of force each applies to lifts.

Monday 1/18/2021

Weigh-in: 293 pounds

Bench Press 220x5x1
    Seated Dumbbell Press 35x12x3
    Lying Triceps Extension 55x14x3
    Pad Work

Weight was only down 1.4 pounds from last week, so I'm taking further diet steps. No milk in the big protein shake I have during the day now, and I'm adding a fifth meal in of just a can of tuna to help make up for the protein lost by ditching the milk. Today I did some pad work with a partner instead of the heavy bag, it's better to work hooks and especially uppercuts with pads.

Tuesday 1/19/2021

Squat 285x5x1
    Pulldowns 150x12x3
    Barbell Curls 45x14x3
    Sledmill 35 seconds x3, 60 second rest

Squatted today with no ibuprofen. Had the knee sleeves on and the orthotic in the left shoe. It was doable, there was still a bit of pain in the left knee but it didn't interfere with the lift. Last set of pulldowns was a doozy. Probably would've been fine if I weren't resting only 60 seconds between sets, but fatigue caught up and got me toward the end. Last few reps were not great. I've been pulling the bar down onto the top of my sternum for each rep, and at the end I couldn't quite get it there. I still got past the chin, though.

Thursday 1/21/2021

Seated Overhead Press 135x5x1
    Dumbbell Bench 45x12x3
    Dumbbell Incline 35x12x3

No punching work today, had time constraints.
    Last edited by CommanderFun; 02-04-2021 at 10:26 PM.

Friday 1/22/2021

Deadlift 325x5x1
    Leg Extensions 50x14x3
    Leg Curls 50x14x3
    Sledmill 35 seconds x3, 60 seconds rest

Monday 1/25/2021

Weigh-in: 290.3 pounds

Bench 220x5x1
    Seated Dumbbell Press 36x10x3
    Lying Triceps Extension 55x15x3
    Heavy Bag Work

Was able to get my .5 pound micro plates to fit onto my adjustable dumbbells. The only real advantage my home setup has over a real gym right now is those dumbbells, which isn't much of a perk. Weight loss picked back up, diet should be good for a few more weeks I expect.

Tuesday 1/26/2021

Squat 285x5x1
    Pulldowns 152.5x10x3
    Barbell Curl 45x15x3
    Sledmill 30 seconds x3, 50 seconds rest

Think I may try ditching the orthotic in only the left shoe protocol. I suspect the big help is the knee sleeves. Hard to find a good stance width and keep it in my basement. I got so used to squatting in the same rack over and over, and using its outline as a reference. I think I was a little wide on my work set, I felt the knees start to push in a bit toward the end.

Tried something different with the conditioning. It felt like I was just pushing closer and closer to puking as the interval length went up. So I decided instead to try working to push the rest time down, since that's the real benefit I want to get out of conditioning anyway. Fuck long distance, keep pushing that and the body starts to adapt by giving itself smaller engines to improve fuel economy. I'll try shaving a second off every week, see how that works out. If I don't like the results, I'm just going to drop it altogether. Maybe instead I'll do ab stuff. Pumping those up a bit might help me fill out my belt a little better.

starting strength coach development program
    Thursday 1/28/2021

Seated Overhead Press 135x5x1
    Dumbbell Bench 46x10x3
    Dumbbell Incline 36x10x3
    Heavy Bag Work
    Last edited by CommanderFun; 02-04-2021 at 10:26 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast