Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Cutting log: January-March 2020

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thursday 3/4/2021

Seated Overhead Press 135x5x1
    Bench Press 200x5x2

This is the start of the new method I'm trying to replace most of the assistance work I was doing. Instead of all that dumbbell stuff, I just did bench press at a 10% backoff from monday, for 2 sets. Not as much training volume as the dumbbell crap, but much more intensity, even at a backoff weight. We'll see how this goes. I like the heavier low rep work regardless, the higher rep shit never feels like it gets much done.

Saturday 3/6/2021

Deadlift 325x5x1
    Squat 250x5x2

Was supposed to do this workout last night, but I was super tired after I got home around 10. So I went to bed early, did it when I got up today around 8am. Was hard, might be because of the caloric deficit, might be because I had no food in me yet. Maybe both.

Monday 3/8/2021

Weigh-In: 273.4

Bench Press 220x5x1
    Seated Overhead Press 120x5x2

Wednesday 3/10/2021

Squat 280x3x1

Was supposed to lift yesterday, but was extremely tired again. Tried lifting without the knee sleeves today. For some reason the lighter warm ups hurt the hell out of my knees but the heavier stuff didn't. We'll see if inflammation arises in the days to come. Belt was definitely a better fit at 7 notches instead of 8. I am starting to develop a bit of anxiety before doing my squats, as I have no safety setup at the moment. If I go down and can't come back up, I'm fucked. That's why I cut it off at a triple today. I would've gone a full 5 if I knew I could set the bar down on pins if I failed a rep. I also think I'm ditching the lighter volume sets I was going to work with. I think the extra volume is no good with how I'm eating right now, and I'm just going to focus on the one big intensity set for each of the four main lifts each week.

Thursday 3/11/2021

Seated Overhead Press 135x5x1

This was a tough set, last rep hit a very slow grind right around when it was passing my head.

Friday 3/12/2021

Deadlift 325x5x1

Monday 3/15/2021

Weigh-In: 273

Bench Press 220x5x1

Disappointing weigh-in. I hope it's just a fluke caused by the constant zigzag of bodyweight. Last rep of the Bench set was really dicey. I felt the elbows start flaring and the two sides weren't coming up entirely evenly.

Tuesday 3/16/2021

Squat 270x5x1
    Pulldowns 155x10x3

I'm going to bring the weight on my big four lifts down to where they were for my TM volume workouts at the end of January. I'm really low on carbohydrates daily on average trying to keep the weight loss going at a sufficient deficit. Failure has been creeping closer and closer, and I do not have a setup where my lifts can be taken to failure safely. Keeping pulldowns as my only assistance work. Because I just love them. They're my favorite assistance exercise. I feel they work the lats in ways deadlifts just can't. They also are great for the arms, both biceps and triceps, even the forearms. A lot of the feedback I got bulking up last year was how big my arms got, and I think it was from high frequency pulldowns. Still hoping to be able to do a good set of chins someday, but I am a big heavy motherfucker.

Thursday 3/18/2021

Seated Overhead Press 130x5x1

No entry for tomorrow. I have the squat/deadlift camp coming up sunday, so I'm condering it this week's deadlift workout and next week's squat workout since it's sandwiched between where they'd normally be.

starting strength coach development program
    Monday 3/22/2021

Bench Press 210x5x1

Tried a workout on a free pass for the local LA Fitness. No one seemed to bothered by me lifting with the mask pulled down, so I'm optimistic. Other people there were doing it too. Kept the weight on the conservative side since I was working with different equipment. I need to bring measuring tape next time, the bar felt shorter than it should be. Taking a comfortable bench grip had me putting my middle finger on the ring marker, which is wider than I remember ever gripping a bar. Bar also felt a little lighter, but that could just be me. Set felt good though, felt like I could've squeezed out one or maybe two more at that weight. Also, forgot the weigh-in in the morning, so there will be one with the Tuesday entry.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast