starting strength gym
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Still Flailing as I approach 50

Default Still Flailing as I approach 50

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Well, it's been a long time since I've posted anything on the site here. I've still been training - and aging. But I'm still kicking.
    Here's my training log - enjoy!

Smolov
    Week 2, Day 1
    Safety Squat Bar (SSB) + belt - 300 x 9r x 4s
    Bench - 220 x 9r x 4s

Yes. I'm trying the dreaded Smolov squat program. Probably a stupid thing given my demographic (almost 50yo). But YOLO.
    I just want to see how far I get before something breaks.

BTW: I'm trying to run Smolov Squat and Smolvo Jr. bench programs simultaneously. To make it more interesting.

Today:

Pullups - 14 +5 +3
    15 minutes uphill treadmill - 3.5 mph @ 10deg
    More pullups - 12 + 5 +2

This morning:

Safety Squat Bar Squat w/belt - 320 x 7r x 5s
    Bench - 235 x 7r x 5s

Last sets of both movements became quite challenging.

Today:

SSB w/belt - 340 x 5r x 7s (This seemed endless)
    Bench - 250 x 5r x 7s (This also seemed endless)

This is a stupid program and I'm stupid for trying it. But instead of quitting, I'll carry on for another week. Because I'm stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by irongeek View Post
    This is a stupid program and I'm stupid for trying it. But instead of quitting, I'll carry on for another week. Because I'm stupid...
    Haha, I was reading your posts above and thinking, "well, that sounds stupid", but I'm still a lifting baby, relatively. Then I read your last post. Cheers, man. Keep at it as long as you safely can.

I'm not familiar with the program. Is it like a block program of which I'm not familiar either?

What do the r and s signify. And why are you doing this program?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Haha, I was reading your posts above and thinking, "well, that sounds stupid", but I'm still a lifting baby, relatively. Then I read your last post. Cheers, man. Keep at it as long as you safely can.
    Thanks, Bill. I've been lifting for a while and this program has been on my radar for quite some time. I just wanted to give it a go. It's a "shock" type of program. Lots of volume with lots of intensity all wrapped into one pain-filled block. I just wanted to see if I could do it. I don't think I'll want to do it after I hit 50...

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I'm not familiar with the program. Is it like a block program of which I'm not familiar either?

What do the r and s signify. And why are you doing this program?
    Hi Carson. This is called the Smolov program. It has been around for a while and is a shock-style program to try if you've stalled out. I wanted to give it a try to see if I could survive it before I hit 50 later this year. So far, I'm surviving....

The r and s signifies "reps" and "sets", respectively. I put those in there because when I read other people's logs, sometimes its hard to tell what their notation is.

Today's Flailing:

Safety Squat Bar w/belt - 360 x 3r x 10s
    Bench - 265 x 3r x 10s
    Pullups - 14 + 5 + 2 (that means 14 reps, pause 60s, 5 reps, pause 30 seconds, then 2 more reps). This is kind of a rest-pause thing I learned from Andy Baker when I was in his club. Good way to get a quick workout in for vertical pulls.

I survived today. Barely. Next week is the last week of this block. Same as last week except add 10lbs to the squats and 5 lbs to bench.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by irongeek View Post
    Thanks, Bill. I've been lifting for a while and this program has been on my radar for quite some time. I just wanted to give it a go. It's a "shock" type of program. Lots of volume with lots of intensity all wrapped into one pain-filled block. I just wanted to see if I could do it. I don't think I'll want to do it after I hit 50...
    I'm not too far ahead of you (53) and the volume does start to catch up, much more than I'm willing to admit after decades of ultra-marathon type endurance training and racing for me. Volume was king then, not so much now. But I do understand the benefit of these types of shocks to the system. Good luck!

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast