starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's try this again!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    How are the cities there for cycling? They're pretty dismal here in the U.S. for the most part but some places are better than others. Bike lanes are the most dangerous place on the road lots of places.
    dalan - I'll pipe in, since I pretty much lived on my bicycle while living there. In a nutshell, cycling is king, even in the cities. Commutes are short, whether it be door-to-office or door-to-public transit and parking can get expensive, so a lot of folks just ride. Year round. Here's a pic of the bicycle parking area outside the train station in Maastricht, Netherlands, not too far from Vinnie, a view pretty typical in cities all across Europe.

I had a 21km (13 mile) commute one-way to the office. For most of that, I was on bike paths through forest and farmland. Once in town, where the roads weren't wide enough for dedicated paths, drivers gave space. Very unlike here in the states, where infrastructure and courtesy are definitely lacking. So much so that I don't even ride anymore (and cycling was my life for 30+ years).

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    dalan - I'll pipe in, since I pretty much lived on my bicycle while living there. In a nutshell, cycling is king, even in the cities. Commutes are short, whether it be door-to-office or door-to-public transit and parking can get expensive, so a lot of folks just ride. Year round. Here's a pic of the bicycle parking area outside the train station in Maastricht, Netherlands, not too far from Vinnie, a view pretty typical in cities all across Europe.

I had a 21km (13 mile) commute one-way to the office. For most of that, I was on bike paths through forest and farmland. Once in town, where the roads weren't wide enough for dedicated paths, drivers gave space. Very unlike here in the states, where infrastructure and courtesy are definitely lacking. So much so that I don't even ride anymore (and cycling was my life for 30+ years).
    Hi guys, I am 20 min from Maastricht, in Tongeren. The province I am in (Limburg) is known as having the most bike paths in the country, you can literally cycle anywhere you want and the infrastructure for biking is amazing--bikes have the right of way on the road. My previous job was in Maastricht, the bike infrastructure in the Netherlands is amazing and the photo above is a common sight!

Don't forget that the price of gas here is very expensive as well, 2-3 times that of the US. Consequently most people here drive less than 20K km per year and as Bill mentioned they use alternative methods.

I personally found that the program + heavy cycling leaves my legs very sore so I do about 20min at home currently. Any more than that and I am too sore to squat and DL properly.

Today's workout:08/29/2021

Skipped yesterday as legs were a bit sore, but all good today. I need to get more food in me also.

Squat: 90*5*3
    Bench: 75*5*3
    DL: 130*5*1

I got squat on video, will post later this week after editing.
    Cheers!

Thanks for sharing the biking info guys! It sounds great for cyclists! Yeah, here in the states, at least many places, you definitely have to have your head on a swivel. It's not bad if you're on a back road but in the city you for sure need to be turned on.

I had to skip Tuesday, life happened and just didn't have enough in me to do a proper workout at the end of the day so I ended up doing some intervals on the Airbike and light core work.

Anyways, here is today's workout: 09/02/2021

Squat: 92.5*5*3
    OHP: 60*5*3
    DL: 132.5*5*1

I will continue with 2.5 kg increments from here on out and will switch DLs for Pendlay Rows in the bench days as mentioned earlier.
    Everything felt ok at the time but now my left upper pec is somewhat painful and sore, right where the muscle ties into the shoulder. Did some extra stretching, will prob ice it too. I hope it is nothing serious, let's see how it is in the morning.
    Last edited by ludvino; 09-05-2021 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Corrected WO date

starting strength coach development program
    Yesterday's workout
    09/04/2021

Squat: 95*5*3
    BP: 80*58*3
    Rows: 80*5*3

Pec pain went away and I have full range of motion so no injury which is good. Also felt good while doing BP.
    Not doing DL was refreshing and today I am feeling less tired than Friday.
    Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12