starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's try this again!

Post Let's try this again!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone,

46 yr. old male, 5'10", +-250lbs (179 cm and 116 kg) with about 20% bf.
    20+ years lifting (BB and sports training mostly), stopped for the past 7 years due to work, life in general and a lack of proper equipment in my area (I live in Belgium in the middle of nowhere alongside the cows and horses). December 2018 I said enough is enough and decided to take things seriously again so I bought a rack, bench, weights, found SS, bought the books, read them and started LP. Had to stop three times due to injuries, first time right pec when benching and twice IT band on right leg when squatting. After extensive recovery and rehab so far things are working as they should again.

I do have an old shoulder injury that doesn't hinder mobility but tends to act up when I am doing BP.

Oh yes, important to note, my bar sleeves have ZERO spin on it. I bought it used from a gym that was going under and all they had was this. I tried doing Power Cleans but my wrists/forearms got shot real quick, so I subbed Pendlay Rows--not ideal I know. If anyone has advice on how to perform PC with a bar that doesn't allow the weights to spin I'm all ears.

My best lifts since starting in 2018 are (weights are all in kg, I am in Europe):

Squat: 127.5kg (280.5lbs)
    DL: 147.5 kg (324.5 lbs)
    BP: 100 kg (225 lbs)
    OHP: 67.5 kg (148.5 lbs)
    Row: 100 kg (225 lbs)

Currently I am on week 2 of novice, attempt 4. Hope this time it sticks. Schedule is Tue-Thu-Sat.

W0 D1 8/14/21 (Sat so I will count this as week zero just because)
    Squat: 60*5*3
    BP: 60*5*3
    DL: 100*5*3

W1 D1 8/17/21
    Squat: 65*5*3
    OHP: 40*5*3
    DL: 105*5*3

W1 D2 8/19/21
    Squat: 70*5*3
    BP: 65*5*3
    DL: 110*5*3

W1 D3 8/21/21
    Squat: 75*5*3
    OHP: 50*5*3
    DL: 115*5*3

W2 D1 8/24/21
    Squat: 80*5*3
    BP: 60*5*3
    DL: 120*5*3
    So far so good. Yesterday I felt my knees a bit when squatting but I think it is because I was giving my dog a bath before and was kneeling down the whole time. He loves to swim but hates bathtime. Mowed lawn right after workout which was good cardio.

Stay safe!
    Vinnie
    Last edited by ludvino; 08-26-2021 at 05:02 PM.

Workout today 8/26/21

Weights in kgs
    Squat: 85*5*3
    OHP: 55*5*3
    DL: 125*5*1

Felt good. Weights were not light but not heavy either, I can feel body adapting and getting stronger. Squat specifically was a milestone as I could not do anything above 80kgs before without feeling my IT band, and now I had no issues at all. Hope it holds up.

I did feel a bit tired at the end, but I guess it is normal as I started late evening and finished at 11:30pm.

Great job getting back into it, Vinnie! But it sounds like you need to get another bar. Recently there was discussion in one of the forums here about someone trying to do cleans with a bar similar to yours. They messed up their wrists doing it; don't do the same. As far as your IT band, definitely post a form check in the appropriate forum. There may be something going on with your form that's causing that, as you really shouldn't feel them at any time during your squat, nor afterwards. It's best to catch it now, before it flares up again.

I've stopped and started a few times, but I keep getting smarter each time. Hopefully you experience the same. And since you're getting closer to being an old guy like me (53), if you haven't picked up The Barbell Prescription yet, I recommend that you do. Actually, I recommend it to everyone, even those in their 20s and 30s. That book, along with Practical Programming, really helps with understanding the programming once you get past these early novice weeks.

Lastly, so you're telling us that you live in the beautiful part of Belgium? Not that I found a part that wasn't beautiful, even the cities. I used to live over in Germany and we'd head over to Belgium to chase the Spring Classics (Tour of Flanders, Paris-Roubaix, etc.) and ride the routes ourselves, even staying in a gîte if we could find one nearby.

Keep at it!

Quote Originally Posted by ludvino View Post

Oh yes, important to note, my bar sleeves have ZERO spin on it. I bought it used from a gym that was going under and all they had was this. I tried doing Power Cleans but my wrists/forearms got shot real quick, so I subbed Pendlay Rows--not ideal I know. If anyone has advice on how to perform PC with a bar that doesn't allow the weights to spin I'm all ears.
    I snatched and C&J with a bar like that a lot, for sure its harder; I'd say make sure the pull is in your legs (push the floor away), don't have a death grip on the bar / release the bar a bit when you turn your elbows. Worked for me - and I'm not a coach, so grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Great job getting back into it, Vinnie! But it sounds like you need to get another bar. Recently there was discussion in one of the forums here about someone trying to do cleans with a bar similar to yours. They messed up their wrists doing it; don't do the same. As far as your IT band, definitely post a form check in the appropriate forum. There may be something going on with your form that's causing that, as you really shouldn't feel them at any time during your squat, nor afterwards. It's best to catch it now, before it flares up again.

I've stopped and started a few times, but I keep getting smarter each time. Hopefully you experience the same. And since you're getting closer to being an old guy like me (53), if you haven't picked up The Barbell Prescription yet, I recommend that you do. Actually, I recommend it to everyone, even those in their 20s and 30s. That book, along with Practical Programming, really helps with understanding the programming once you get past these early novice weeks.

Keep at it!
    Hi Bill, will definitely post a video for form check within the next week or so. I agree form was most likely the cause of it-have been doing high bar squat for over 20 years and when I restarted again my feet where nowhere near wide enough. I was basically doing a high bar stance with a low bar placement on my shoulders. Mechanics were off. I've widened the stance but always good to have more eyes looking at this.

Also can relate to getting a bit smarted each time, and noticed that as I am able to handle more weight sooner my CNS fatigues a lot faster from the accumulation of the workouts and consequently I go through the novice phases quicker.

I have the book, tons of useful information. I don't have PP yes, it is on the list of next purchases. I have both SS and BP in kindle form which is ok but not great, specially for the programs and tables the kindle version always splits those up in the worse places. Really wanted the paper version from now on so I am waiting to buy it on my next US trip but who knows when that will be now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post

Lastly, so you're telling us that you live in the beautiful part of Belgium? Not that I found a part that wasn't beautiful, even the cities. I used to live over in Germany and we'd head over to Belgium to chase the Spring Classics (Tour of Flanders, Paris-Roubaix, etc.) and ride the routes ourselves, even staying in a gîte if we could find one nearby.

Keep at it!
    Ah yes the cycling season! It is lovely and yes I ride for pleasure a bit myself, have a classic road bike. The last place I worked had a team to compete in some local events, it is quite the thing here. The great thing about where I am (Limburg) is that in one hour by car I can be in either France, Germany or Netherlands. Where in Germany did you live?

Quote Originally Posted by granny View Post
    I snatched and C&J with a bar like that a lot, for sure its harder; I'd say make sure the pull is in your legs (push the floor away), don't have a death grip on the bar / release the bar a bit when you turn your elbows. Worked for me - and I'm not a coach, so grain of salt.
    Sounds like an interesting approach. Will try and see how it goes, although I also need to do the same on the way down since I don't want to drop the bar on the floor, so drop down to thighs and lower it down to floor. How heavy were you able to lift this way?

Sounds like an interesting approach. Will try and see how it goes, although I also need to do the same on the way down since I don't want to drop the bar on the floor, so drop down to thighs and lower it down to floor. How heavy were you able to lift this way?
    Not much, properly snatching 47-50kg and C&J 60-63kg or so...you kind of release your grip at the turnover anyway (not all the way obviously) Not having bumpers, to drop it - that's not ideal, its needless fatigue... your best bet is probably to just get a better bar.

Hi Bill, will definitely post a video for form check within the next week or so. I agree form was most likely the cause of it-have been doing high bar squat for over 20 years and when I restarted again my feet where nowhere near wide enough. I was basically doing a high bar stance with a low bar placement on my shoulders. Mechanics were off. I've widened the stance but always good to have more eyes looking at this.

Also can relate to getting a bit smarted each time, and noticed that as I am able to handle more weight sooner my CNS fatigues a lot faster from the accumulation of the workouts and consequently I go through the novice phases quicker.

I have the book, tons of useful information. I don't have PP yes, it is on the list of next purchases. I have both SS and BP in kindle form which is ok but not great, specially for the programs and tables the kindle version always splits those up in the worse places. Really wanted the paper version from now on so I am waiting to buy it on my next US trip but who knows when that will be now.
    I am a huge fan of having the paper copies. I enjoy my kindle, but for this stuff, my books are full of notes in the margins and stickies to highlight sections for quick reference. Yes, I can do that on a kindle, but it's not as handy.

BTW, I do see that the books are available on amazon.de, if you're willing to go that route.

Ah yes the cycling season! It is lovely and yes I ride for pleasure a bit myself, have a classic road bike. The last place I worked had a team to compete in some local events, it is quite the thing here. The great thing about where I am (Limburg) is that in one hour by car I can be in either France, Germany or Netherlands. Where in Germany did you live?
    We were in Heidelberg, which made it handy to get over to your region quickly to catch a race if we wanted to. Although it was a bit more than an hour.

starting strength coach development program
    How are the cities there for cycling? They're pretty dismal here in the U.S. for the most part but some places are better than others. Bike lanes are the most dangerous place on the road lots of places.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast