starting strength gym
Page 9 of 60 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul's log - Staying strong past 50

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    2/4/22 - Moar LP, yet again, some more...

SSB squat - beltless - 350 x 5 x 3
    Press - beltless - 160 x 5 x 3
    DL w/belt and straps - 415 x 5

Squat getting heavy - will have to add belt soon. Press felt really good. Deadlift felt decent, too.

2/5/22 (saturday):

Bench - 260 x 5 x 3
    Power cleans (w/belt) - work up to 205 x 3, 3, 2, 3, 3

2/7/22
    SSB w/belt - 355 x 5 x 3
    Press - beltless - 162.5 x 5 x 3

Press is getting heavy. Power cleans on Saturday felt like crap, then I decided to screw form and just rip the bar off the ground. Then they felt good, but the form sucked as I would catch the bar on my wrists instead of my shoulders. Cleans are a work in progress, so no worries.

Odd thing today. After my last press set, I had a very weird feeling in my chest - like a fluttering. I've had this before, but it comes for just a second or two and is very infrequent. This time, it stayed with me for about 4 or 5 minutes. It didn't feel right. I got my apple watch on and tried the ecg feature - it said I was in afib. I'm not sure how accurate the apple watch is, but I've messed with this before and it has never said I was in afib, so I believed it. It also said I had a high HR of 180 - and it stayed high. The fluttering went away and the HR eventually slowed down, but it was very odd and concerning. I made an appt with my primary care doc - he got me in a few hours after this event and had me put on an a proper ecg, which said my heart was functioning normally. Talked to the doc about this and we decided to just keep an eye out for this to see if it's a one-off or if more follow-up is necessary. I really don't want to deal with this again.
    Last edited by irongeek; 02-08-2022 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Got dates wrong

2/8/22

Cardio/Circuit workout
    5 circuts of: Pullups (8), Dips (13), Plate Swings (1 minute)
    15 minutes Treadmill - 3.5mph @ 5 deg incline

Good cardio workout. Was a little concerned after yesterday's experience, but the ole ticker was working just fine...

2/9/22 - Continuing LP...
    SSB w/belt - 360 x 5 x 3
    Bench - 262.5 x 5 x 3
    DL - w/belt and straps - 420 x 5

yep all getting heavy, but I just add 5 lbs and see where it'll take me next session. May add a light day next week Wednesday for squat.

Sorry to read about your heart scare - but lifts are at least looking pretty good.

Here's to it being a one time thing.

Ditto...hopefully just an anomaly.

A quick word on power cleans...I train the first and second pull but I don't rack on my shoulders mostly because I lack the flexibility. Once I get my elbows under the bar and catch with a "floating" rack (or on the wrists as you described), the benefits of the movement are achieved. At least that's how I see it. I also use straps so I can do touch and go reps with the light weights and touch/pause/go reps with the medium to heavier weights.

Stay healthy!

Quote Originally Posted by Derf123 View Post
    Sorry to read about your heart scare - but lifts are at least looking pretty good.

Here's to it being a one time thing.
    I agree with that. Once is enough when it comes to heart issues.
    But yes, the lifts are still going up, so I'm pretty happy about that!

Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Ditto...hopefully just an anomaly.

A quick word on power cleans...I train the first and second pull but I don't rack on my shoulders mostly because I lack the flexibility. Once I get my elbows under the bar and catch with a "floating" rack (or on the wrists as you described), the benefits of the movement are achieved. At least that's how I see it. I also use straps so I can do touch and go reps with the light weights and touch/pause/go reps with the medium to heavier weights.

Stay healthy!
    Thanks, TM. I think it was a one-off event. Been training every day since without a problem.

I seem to be able to pull more weight on my cleans when I don't think about racking on my shoulders as well. It kinda hurts my wrists a bit, but the weight isn't too much that causes any tendinitis yet.
    I'll still try to rack the bar on my shoulders, but I agree with you that if you can get the bar up to your neck, then mission accomplished!
    I like the straps idea as well for triples. It gets to be annoying having to reset after each rep.
    Last edited by irongeek; 02-11-2022 at 10:06 AM. Reason: English is hard

Today's work - (yes, more LP!)

SSB squat with belt - 365 x 5 x 3
    Press - beltless - 165 x 5 x 3
    DL - beltless with straps - EMOM - 365 x 3 x 6

Everything moved well, but I can definitely feel the weight is getting challenging. To keep the good times going, I'm going to do a light day on wednesday for squat.
    I'm also going to add a belt on my next pressing session as well. That should keep me going for a little while longer...

starting strength coach development program
    Bench - 265 x 5 x 3
    Power Clean - 205 x 3, 3, 3, 2, 3

Bench is getting heavy. Not sure how much further I can take it before I miss a rep. Maybe up to 270? We'll see...
    Power cleans - we'll just say these are a work in progress and leave it at that....

Page 9 of 60 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast