Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: J2K - Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Tuesday, Jan. 30, 2024

SQ: 310x3x3
    OP: 159x5x5 PR

After trying to maintain through the holidays, I've been working my way back into the groove. This one was a lot. A bit of soreness next day from the squats, not too crazy.

Need to do a 2023 review post.

Also still working on a response to Fred J from November.

Sub-maximal Cycles

Doing sub-maximal cycles is something I came across from a popular young Canadian powerlifter, whose content I enjoy. No need to name him, as I want to be sensitive to our hosts here on the Starting Strength platform.

Anyway, this guy might have been overtrained, and his competition results had stalled. He dialed it back and started getting PRs again, and his competition results improved. The basic concept is to hit 80% of max on volume, and then 90% of max on singles.

Earlier in 2023, before I started doing these sub-maximal cycles, my training had gotten to the point where every workout was a lot. Given the other stresses in life, plus not great recovery, I was open to trying something different.

On squat, I've been doing a 5-week cycle. I do two squat workouts in a week: 3 triples and one heavy single. I started with 80% of my estimated max for the triples and 90% for the single. Increasing 5 pounds per week, over 5 weeks, the weight goes up 20 pounds. Once the cycle is over, I drop back 10 pounds and run it up again. It's been more manageable for me.

Deadlifting twice a week (2 triples and a heavy single) was too much, and I'm now deadlifting only once a week (2 triples one week, a heavy single the next week), and chinning. Progress has been slower on the deadlift, also because I felt I was closer to my max and dialed it back more at the beginning. Hopefully there will be some deadlift PRs in 2024.

starting strength coach development program
    Wow JK I did not mean to put you to work but it is appreciated. You sparked my interest when you said "not great recovery" and sub-maximal cycles. Being an old man I assume that I don't have great recovery. Thanks for the reply and good luck with your lifts!

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819