starting strength gym
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: J2K - Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Pin press: 169x5
    Halting deadlift: 315x5

Back still sore from Wed., but haltings went well.

SQ: 280x5x3
    OP: 148x5x3

Accidentally repeated last 3x5 press workout. That will probably be fine. Squats O.K., back getting better.

BP: 222x5x3
    RP: 405x5

Bench seemed pretty good. A little slow, but good control/bar path. Back is better, but not 100. Doing a heavy pull a week later, with no missed workouts, the rack pull was definitely manageable--will stick with that and haltings for now.

SQ: 225x5x3
    OP: 149x5x3

Back still improving; rack pulls yesterday didn't cause/exacerbate soreness. Third 3x5 press workout above 147, which was previous second best.

OP: 157x1x5

I liked this recent overhead press video:

Pushing Through the Bounce with Austin Khamiss at Starting Strength Boston - YouTube

The idea is to anticipate the sticking point and press through the bounce--meaning that if you just rely on the bounce, the bar can stall at the sticking point, so instead you anticipate that and fight against it by really pushing the bar up before (and through) the sticking point.

Maybe that's just another way of saying that the movement has to be explosive off the chest--which in fact that same coach (Austin Khamiss) also says in a different video:

Quick Heavy Press Setup Tips | Austin Khamiss

Pushing through the bounce helped, I think, in yesterday's press workout, but when I went in today to do some singles, my focus wasn't dialed-in. I didn't push through and was close to getting stuck twice. Still, I think 159 should be O.K. for my next singles.

I ran across a cue recently that effectively does the same thing - "Break the Glass." Meaning the sticking point region is a pane of glass that you have to drive the bar through to keep it moving. It's come in handy.

"Break the Glass" sounds like a good cue. That's the kind of explosion that makes sense. Hopefully I'll have a report back this week!

It worked great today! Thanks to it, I apparently now have a mulit-rep Press PR. I didn't even realize that I was in that territory.

Pin press: 171x5
    Halting deadlift: 320x5

Haltings good for a light pull. Need to focus on using lats to keep the bar back, which I'm not sure how well I'm doing. Pin press good--need to focus on position under last rep, so that it doesn't become a struggle.

starting strength coach development program
    OP: 150x5x3
    SQ: 285x5x3 (pause)

I'm usually not very good at implementing coaching cues, but I've gotta say that "Break the Glass" really seemed to work for me. I remembered to try it on my press work sets, and I really drove the bar up--no reps were close to sticking. Thanks, Bill! Squat was fair, pauses got better as I went along.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast