starting strength gym
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: J2K - Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    OP: 159x1,1,1,1,x,1

Did not get the cue ("break the glass") on reps 1 and 2. Got it on rep 3, and it went up better, but regressed on rep 4. On the last rep, slight lapse in focus and it moved a little forward instead of just up from the bottom--didn't attempt to force it because I thought it would be pretty straightforward to get it after racking it. Waited 3 minutes, got the cue this time and completed the fifth single neatly.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    OP: 150x5x3
    SQ: 285x5x3 (pause)

I'm usually not very good at implementing coaching cues, but I've gotta say that "Break the Glass" really seemed to work for me. I remembered to try it on my press work sets, and I really drove the bar up--no reps were close to sticking. Thanks, Bill! Squat was fair, pauses got better as I went along.
    I'm glad to have helped, even just a little bit. I wish I could remember where I ran across that cue, but I'll keep using it. That is, until it doesn't work anymore.

OP: 159x1,1,1,1,x,1

Did not get the cue ("break the glass") on reps 1 and 2. Got it on rep 3, and it went up better, but regressed on rep 4. On the last rep, slight lapse in focus and it moved a little forward instead of just up from the bottom--didn't attempt to force it because I thought it would be pretty straightforward to get it after racking it. Waited 3 minutes, got the cue this time and completed the fifth single neatly.
    Well, not that fast!

BP: 223x5x3
    RP: 410x5

Left elbow a little tender from all the pressing, but bench went O.K. Rack pull also fine.

SQ: 225x5x3
    OP: 151x5x3

No issue from yesterday's rack pull--looking forward to taking the weekend off.

Coach Khamiss says people get lazy under the press. Now that the "Break the Glass" cue is becoming a part of my press, it seems apparent that in the past my focus hasn't really been dialed-in enough.

After the start of the rep, I had been spacing out and not driving the bar up. When a rep stalled, then I would wake up (hopefully), and my cue would be--"You've stalled, press harder, so that you don't miss the rep!" (which is not a good cue). Now I'm more conscious of driving the bar up, and it counteracts the tendency of the bar to slow down to what would be a love-tap on any glass that needs to be broken.

Today, no stalled reps, no laziness under the bar. This is my sixth week of pressing 3x per week (actually 4x this week). Hopefully, a 3x5 PR next week.

Coach Khamiss says people get lazy under the press. Now that the "Break the Glass" cue is becoming a part of my press, it seems apparent that in the past my focus hasn't really been dialed-in enough.

After the start of the rep, I had been spacing out and not driving the bar up. When a rep stalled, then I would wake up (hopefully), and my cue would be--"You've stalled, press harder, so that you don't miss the rep!" (which is not a good cue). Now I'm more conscious of driving the bar up, and it counteracts the tendency of the bar to slow down to what would be a love-tap on any glass that needs to be broken.
    Guilty!

Thanks for posting those links. I was watching the first one (Pushing Through The Bounce) just now and wondered how I missed it when it was posted. Then remembered the trip that I was on, away from the page and the forums. Thanks for re-posting it!

Pin press: 173x5
    Halting DL: 325x5

I even got some "Break the Glass" on the pin press! They weren't bad, but it's hard to stay positioned under them. I did the first three, then had to shuffle my feet a little before the last two. Haltings were fine, seemed like I was pulling them back on my shins a little more, which would be good.

SQ: 290x5x3 (2 sets only)
    OP: 152x5x3

Knee pain near the head of the medialis on the third rep of the second set, so I finished the set and called it. Flossing was helpful when I was first starting out. I have recently had some general knee pain (no doubt due to squat form), and I was thinking about flossing again. This was more specific, but we'll try flossing and see if it helps. Press was fine; heavy, but still got some "Break the Glass". Fingers crossed for PR next.

OP: 161x1x5

Hopefully the flossing is going to work; knee did not feel very pleasant. Some good "Break the Glass" today--but it definitely is tougher to stay focused under the singles.

Friday, July 22, 2022

BP: 224x5x3
    RP: 415x5

Bench O.K., 2-plate next week. First rack pull rep was slow, I was afraid it wasn't going to go. Flossing before and after seems to be helping the knees. Will know more after today's light squat.

starting strength coach development program
    Saturday, July 23, 2022

SQ: 225x5x3 (1 set only)
    OP: 153x5x3 PR

Press PR was much better than 152 a year ago--goodish "Explode/Break" (per Bill Anders). Ran out of time on the squats--fine with me to give the knee a little more time. Before and after flossing seems to have some beneficial effect.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast