starting strength gym
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road Back(SS)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by kaisermetal View Post
    The only annoying thing about training on a commercial gym is that the so-called PT keeps bugging me that i shouldn't squat that low or be dead-lifting.

"You should start on the machines first", "DeadLifts are bad for your back"
    That's why i like to keep the music real high on my ipod so that no one bothers me while training.
    fuck them.
    Abso-fucking-lutely!

This is the kind of attitude that gives me a grin knowing there's people out there who know how to really train.

Quote Originally Posted by Contrail View Post
    Keep it coming. I like reading your log because you're in sort of the same ballpark as me. I've been on SS a bit longer, but based on Height/Weight/BF%, you're starting out more muscular than I am.

Wanna race to the 240 lb squat?
    Hahaha i need to take it slow, i would love to race to 240lbs but probably i would lose, i'll be happy if i can get to 180lbs squat already, i hope i can get at least to 220lbs squat on this program, my main concern is good form and steady progress on my lifts, especially on the deadlift.

I've weighted myself today and hit 177lbs woohoo =) and duh i've started at 170lbs not at 177lbs

7lbs in three weeks?? i love SS

So i'm changing my goals:

Weight at least: whatever weight i'll get in order to put more weight on the bar.
    and the rest i'll maintain the same It seems i can get to 200lbs sooner than i expected, who knows? i'm not even noticing any fat gains.

It's funny how i tought i was eating like a horse when i was at 170lbs doesn't get even close to right now.

Tomorrow is deadlift day yayyy, and it's saturday too, the special cheat day to eat some quarter pounders

11/08/08
    9th workout

Squat - 3 x 5 160lbs FAST
    Bench Press - 3 x 5 130lbs FAST
    Deadlift - 1 x 5 220lbs FAST

Squat felt tough as usual, but my form was a lot better today.
    Bench Press is starting to feel heavy, at least i got to the 45lbs plates.
    Deadlift started feeling heavy on the grips and it's good to be back to two plates each side. Maybe next week i'll start with only 10lbs increases instead of 18lbs. Who knows, maybe in four weeks i can get to my old PR of 308lbs, well that PR at least was with 1 rep and horrible form, now it's gonna be with GOOD form for sure.

11/11/08
    10th workout

Squat - 3 x 5 170lbs SLOW
    Press - 3 x 5 80lbs FAST
    PowerClean - 5 x 3 115lbs FAST

The squat as always was tough and on the first set it felt heavy like shit and my form sucked and i felt a little pain on my back, i rested like 8 minutes and i started thinking holy cow i'm gonna stall!!
    On the second set it felt much easier and i was able to pull the 5 reps
    The third set was hard and slow but i made all the reps too.

The press was easy as usual but it started to feel challenging at the third set.

The PowerClean was easy as usual, my form was very good, and it is finally starting to feel challenging too.

It's always like this, the squat beats the hell out of me, then i get to the easy part of pressing/bench pressing then i have fun doing the most cool ones that are the deadlift/powerclean.

Today there was a guy screaming his whole workout while doing biceps curls and pec dec, he was annoying me, i almost snapped the barbell and wanted to beat his ass, maybe i need an anger management treatment, but i always feel pissed when i put my foot in the gym. =)

Actually is my ZEN moment of the day, it's when its just me and the bar that i need to move, i know it sounds strange but i get so focused and agressive that i feel good. Maybe that's what they call nirvana

Due to my form on the squat yesterday, i definitely hurt my lower back, it's kinda of sore today and hurts a little.

I'm thinking about maintaining the same weight and try again.
    what do you guys think??

If the form slips it doesn't count as rep right??

11/13/08
    11th workout

Squat - 3 x 5 170lbs SLOW
    1st set - 5 reps
    2nd set - 2 reps
    3rd set - 5 reps
    Bench Press - 3 x 5 135lbs FAST
    Deadlift - 1 x 4+1 238lbs SLOW

The squat i tried correcting my arms width and form on the first set and felt tough and i felt pain from the bar weight on my left shoulder, but the weight felt tighter on my back and the movement was smoother.

At the second set i wussed out because i tought my form was crap and felt damn heavy and wasn't worth risking my back.

At the third set i had rested like 8 minutes and tried with my old form with arms really close, and felt easier and i busted my nut doing the 4th and 5th rep. almost good-morning style. I'm gonna definitely record my next squat workout.
    I'll consider today as a stall and keep the same weight for the next workout.

The Bench was no problem as always, the last ones of the third set were challenging.

The Deadlift was great, i considered 4+1 because i had to catch a breath for the 5th rep. The 18lbs increases are over for sure. Next week I'll start adding just 10lbs per workout. And when that fails just 5lbs per workout. It's good to feel "the grind" again. The only thing i did was at the 4th and 5th rep i ended up grunting at the lockout, is that wrong? i mean does that take off abs pressure and may injure me??

Next workout will be the 12th and that means that I'll complete 1 month of SS

The only thing i did was at the 4th and 5th rep i ended up grunting at the lockout, is that wrong? i mean does that take off abs pressure and may injure me??
    No, grunting will not decrease the IAP. A properly timed vocalization actually increases IAP(Rippetoe has a post about this somewhere). Also, http://stronglifts.com/do-you-grunt-at-the-gym-too/

So don't stress it. Just don't do it with curls...

HOLY COWS.

Yesterday i was completely fine, today i woke up with a huge back pain, i had to take some anti-inflammatory and couldn't sleep well last night, i'll try sleeping a lot today.

ARGH, maybe it was really the squat, if doesn't get much better or any pain persists probably i'll ditch tomorrow's workout

At least i'll get some rest.
    FUCK!!! i'm so pissed because i won't be able to train today, real stupid of my part for trying to change the squat form on last workout, i'm pretty sure it that. i'm a retarded.

I'll try doing the 12th workout on monday.

=(

at least i'm weighting 180lbs this morning.

starting strength coach development program
    I squatted a friend of mine who weights 155 and called that a day, i got so happy about it.

I don't why the hell i woke up with even more pain today, if it doesn't subside by tomorrow i'm definitely going to the doctor. what the hell it's a sharp pain it doesn't hurt when i bend or walk or even squat, just when i feel my belly with air and brace my abs or hyper-extending the back.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast