Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Anti-Degenerative Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    1. Squat 45x5, 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 155x5, 185x5
    2. Bench 45x5, 135x5, 175x4, 190x5, 170x5x2 sets
    3. Pulldowns 145x10/10/7

My main goal with squats is to stay at proper depth (no dive bombing and no ass-to-grass), keep things controlled and safe for the knees. I'm so used to going too low that I'd rather err on the side of too high for now. I felt a small pinch on right knee at depth on one rep but I don't recall which set it happened, nothing crazy. I had typical/familiar shoulder pain during straight bar squats, not too bad, probably keep the straight bar squats to once a week to try and keep that under control. The bench presses were pain free.

Last set of Squats (185x5)
    https://youtube.com/shorts/fVFlXe2SSVo?feature=share
    Last edited by Railbob1776; 01-09-2023 at 05:15 PM.

20 minutes elliptical, kept a high intensity pace for me, HR up to 143

Scheduled an MRI for the shoulder and an EMG for the finger/hand numbness.

1. Deadlift 135x3, 225x3, 275x3, 315x3
    2. Easy Squat 45x3, 95x3, 115x3, 135x3, 155x3
    3. OHP 45x4, 50x5

I did 5 minutes of elliptical to warm things up. Conventional deadlift felt fine, haven't done them in a while. Goal is to build it back to 405x3 and then switch to rack pulls. Just a small bit of knee pain on last rep of top set of squats, nothing too bad. OHP was pathetically light but just want to do painless presses for now.

For any whiskey fans, do yourself a favor and pick up a Bakers 7. I recently picked up two of them. The 8 year offering is amazing. It costs ~ $65-70 and if I was drinking it blind I would have guessed it was my Weller's Full Proof. Total sleeper.

1. Squats 45x3, 95x3, 135x3, 155x3, 175x3, 195x3
    2. Pulldowns 145x10/10/10
    3. Bench Press 45x3, 135x3, 175x3, 195x3
    4. 10-minutes elliptical
    BW: 237.6lbs

Everything felt pretty good, just a little pinch of knee pain on the last set of squats. Again, trying to really focus on form now, don't want to dive-bomb or have a lot of knee slide at the bottom, want to keep the knees out of it, all in the hips. Some of the squats were probably too high but I'm okay with that for now. Need to get used to not going too low. Also, my grip is wide to alleviate shoulder pain.

Squat 195x3:
    https://youtube.com/shorts/JYI3SZsEsrw?feature=share
    Last edited by Railbob1776; 01-17-2023 at 07:07 PM.

30 minute incline treadmill walk today.

Yesterday I had my nerve EMG test, the doc said everything looked normal so I may have some nerve irritation but I don't have any actual nerve damage. That's some good news I guess. Today I did the shoulder MRI. First they did some fluoro injection into the shoulder joint to (I guess) highlight the trouble area during the MRI and then I did about 30-40 minutes in the loud MRI tube. Hoping they don't find anything too awful. I meet with my doctor next Wednesday to go over everything. The injection into the joint felt pretty gross.
    Last edited by Railbob1776; 01-19-2023 at 04:59 PM.

1. 20 minutes elliptical
    2. Isometric meniscus tear exercises
    BW: 236.5lbs

Got the results from the fluoro injection thing. It said no rotator cuff tear and no abnormalities. Now just waiting on the MRI result which I suspect will say what the x-ray said, some ordinary level of arthritis, a small bone spur, AND I think some bicep tendinitis or a slap tear. But whatever, we shall see. Regardless, I don't think I will be getting any shoulder surgery as it seems to be improving now.

I decided to stop with the strength training for a month or two and focus on healing what I suspect is a lateral meniscus tear. I’m just doing light cardio and doing some isometric meniscus tear exercises every day. I plan to do this for at least one month and maybe two, so 4-8 weeks. I think it will also make it easier to lose weight since I won’t be tempted to eat more to lift more. The initial knee pain that made me seek treatment was a super intense sharp lateral pain that made it hard to get into my car or lift my leg. The pain is nowhere near that now so it has healed a lot (something arthritis doesn't do) but it is lingering at around a 1-2/10 and I think the twice weekly squats are fucking the healing process up. Anyway, I'm giving this a shot. I'll check back if I change my mind or start lifting again. Cheers!
    Last edited by Railbob1776; 01-20-2023 at 05:56 PM.

Just stopping by to provide an update on my shoulder. My MRI showed a large SLAP tear at 10-2. The doctor said the SLAP tears are very common in people over 40 and that I probably had the tear for awhile and that something caused it to flare up. I suspect my last few weeks of heavy OHP programming from Andy Baker did that. I hit a PR of 225 but I think getting there did some damage to my old ass. The doc did all the physical shoulder tests on me and I didn't have any pain with the SLAP tear test. He said he can also give me a cortisone shot. I raised my concerns with that and he said he would use the shot as a diagnostic tool before surgery. If the shot relieved the pain we would know the SLAP tear was the problem and the surgery would be appropriate and if not we wouldn't do that particular surgery and would have to keep looking for the cause of the pain. The doc said I'm at a point now that would be a good result after the surgery so there's no urgent need for surgery. Anyway, I'm going to keep doing band stretches and probably incorporate some light barbell work soon. If things worsen or fail to improve the next step is a bout of formal physical therapy and if that didn't work then the doc said he would perform a bicep tenodesis surgery. I specifically asked whether it would be problematic for me to start back with barbell training as long as I kept it at a pain-free level and he shook his head and said, "Live your best life."

The doc was about my age and said he also had some ulnar finger numbness at times and he also had patellaformal arthritis. He said his knee arthritis was killing him as he sat there talking to me. Everyone is dealing with something. Anyway, just wanted to update things. Hope all is well.

1. Shoulder band stretches, stabilizing exercises
    2. OHP with the bar
    3. Elliptical for 20 minutes
    4. Rack Pull 350x3
    5. Knee exercises

Out of nowhere my left big toe feels like it's broken. Taped it to the next toe over, will see how it feels tomorrow, might see a podiatrist just to make sure I treat it properly if it doesn't get better pretty quick. Fuck man. Falling apart.

As a note, I ended up getting a new Purple mattress! The Hybrid Premier 3. Loving it so far.

1. Elliptical 20 minutes
    2. shoulder/knee PT exercises
    3. OHP with 45lb bar
    4. Bench press worked up to 200x3 (no pain)
    5. OHP with light bars (12lb, 24lb etc.)

I'm starting to think my right shoulder can be rehabbed to a point I'll be happy with, without resorting to surgery. A slap tear won't "heal" but you can potentially render it asymptomatic by strengthening the muscles and stabilizing things. And the doc said even after surgery there will be stiffness issues. So, nothing is a walk in the park, there is no perfect option. The bench presses were painless. The overhead pressing can cause some pain if I push things but I'm able to have painless reps too. There was a time that even the light bars caused pain. Frankly, I'd rather stop doing presses than have surgery, especially since I can bench press just fine. The shoulder can still fuck up my sleep but I adjust pretty well and manage to get enough shut eye. Left toe seems fine now, not sure what that was all about. Random weird shit.
    Last edited by Railbob1776; 01-30-2023 at 08:24 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    1. 20 minutes incline treadmill walk, a few minutes of walking backwards too
    2. Shoulder & Knee PT exercises
    3. OHP with light bars (up to 28lbs.)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast