starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Liquid Chalk

Default Liquid Chalk

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Do any of you fellas have experienced using liquid chalk? I'll be returning to my campus gym on the 19th, and being a college without major athletics, they have no chalk. It's beginning to affect my grip on my deadlifts, so I need to do something soon.

Yep. It works pretty well, but not nearly as good as the real stuff. Use it if you have no other option. I would try to bring my own chalk to the gym.

Could you bring your own chalk, or is that frowned upon? My gym doesn't provide chalk either. So I went to the local rock climbing store and bought a climber's chalk bag and one of the chalk balls that they use. I just bring it with me to the gym and no one says anything.

Brian

I'm assuming that they don't want people using chalk so that they pawn off their shitty gloves that they sell. Tell me more about this chalk ball though.

The chalk ball is a small mesh bag that is filled with powdered chalk. Like this. Mine is about the size of a racquetball. It fits in my palm nicely. Then I bought a bag like this to keep it in, and I just carry the bag to the gym along with my notebook.

I don't know how climbers do it, but I open the top of the bag, stick my hand in it and roll/knead the ball to get the chalk on my hand. I never take the ball out of the bag. This seems to help me get the chalk only on my hand and not all over the floor. I figure as long as I don't sling chalk all over the place, the staff will leave me alone about it.

Brian

I've had luck using this "eco chalk". Works just like chalk but it doesn't get white residue everywhere.

http://www.amazon.com/Metolius-Ball-.../dp/B000212TGA

I'll second the suggestion for eco chalk. It works well, it's not terribly expensive, and it keeps the staff on your side (always a plus in my book).

Quote Originally Posted by Benthic View Post

I don't know how climbers do it, but I open the top of the bag, stick my hand in it and roll/knead the ball to get the chalk on my hand. I never take the ball out of the bag. This seems to help me get the chalk only on my hand and not all over the floor. I figure as long as I don't sling chalk all over the place, the staff will leave me alone about it.

Brian
    This is also how I do it. Works well, little to no mess.

I've tried the eco stuff before... When DL's get heavy for me, I think its inferior to real chalk.

I sometimes work out at my student gym and they don't like chalk either. But I still bring it, I just bring a little spray water bottle with a disinfectant cleaner product and use one of their small towels to clean up after myself really well. They seem to be cool with it.

One thing to note is that I have tupperware container of chalk and I keep a small block of it in there. I'm really careful not to break off bits and pieces of the block since its the dust that really causes the mess. If you are careful with the block you can use a lot of chalk without making much of a mess at all.

starting strength coach development program
    "It puts the lotion on it's skin!"

If I had any of that shit I'd be saying that over and over again, loudly to myself the whole workout....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast