starting strength gym
Page 1004 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 45049049549941002100310041005100610141054110415042004 ... LastLast
Results 10,031 to 10,040 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Saw guy hovering around the other squat rack, asking the guy squatting how many he had left etc... Hover guy is looking all annoyed to have to wait. He gets the rack and then proceeds to do sldl starting from the rack. I Was tempted to let him know that one can dead lift from the floor.

Girl doing 10kg quarter squats wearing those wobble board trainers (http://www.play.com/Sports-Outdoors/...5|prd:34465205). Then lunges on Bosu ball, plus trainers.
    Searching for the image I found this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...arthritis.html Yet another thing useful for rehab of the seriously injured or elderly, and marketed to fricking women. It's absurd.

Hello,

after a long holiday (surely an oximoron. Holidays are always not long enough) I went back to the gym last Sunday. It was unusually well attended for a festive day, mostly by people I had never seen before. Among the usual gym-goer fare, two individuals stood out, and regaled me with a couple of never-seen-that-before sightings.

First off a guy doing squats in the Smith machine. You know the drill: feet close and well forward of the bar, going nowhere near parallel, keeping a straight back always perpendicular to the floor. So far, so common. What surprised me was that after a couple of sets, he switched to a front squat, something that I had never seen done with this setup.
    You could almost feel the strain his body was under, as it tried to expel the patellas and wedge them in the wall.

That on its own would have made the day interesting, but only a few minutes later, a lady grabbed a 10lb dumbbell and walked towards the bench. She put her towel at the 'wrong end', then installed herself arse about face. She then lifted her feet on the bar, and proceeded to execute a few pullover sets. I have seen people doing this with their legs raised many times, but using the bar in the bench press as a footrest was a first (again).

IPB

First post here.

As I was starting to warm up with 135 for my 275x5x3 squats, a skinny personal trainer (looks about 20 yo and has chicken legs) comes up to me and somewhat I had a feeling I knew what he was going to say... The conversation goes like this :

Him - Hi, how are you doing, I noticed your squats and you're doing it wrong.
    Me - Ok... I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right, what do you mean?
    - You are looking down, you should be looking up so that you can raise your chest (demonstrates with his chest up and looking at the ceiling).
    - Well that's because (he cuts me off)
    - The reason you are looking down is that your upper back muscles are weak and you should be more upright (demonstrates a bad half high-bar squat).
    - I hear ya, but the reason I'm looking down is because that's what I intend to do, and I incline my back because that's what I want to do too, it's called a low-bar squat.
    - You're going to hurt yourself.
    - I have been doing it that way for the past year and never injured anything.
    - Well that's how I was taught, you know...
    (awkward silence)
    - Anyway, thank you for your Opinion man, I appreciate that!! (me appearing overly nice)
    - No problem, if you ever have any question, I'm there! (goes back to his 15 lbs dumbells and does a movement that ressembles a tricep pulldown with straight arms to the side in a slow tempo)

I kind of hate how he did not even introduce himself or give me his credentials and proceed to spit me advice anyway. I can't be 100% sure but he does not look like he could squat 225 for one single rep.
    Last edited by Guillaume; 10-09-2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: bad english fixed

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Hello,

What surprised me was that after a couple of sets, he switched to a front squat, something that I had never seen done with this setup.
    You could almost feel the strain his body was under, as it tried to expel the patellas and wedge them in the wall.
    There's a dude at my gym that does Smith Machine California Style Front squat lounges.

At first I thought he was trying to do a weighed version of Gangnam Style

Hhahahhahahahahaha

This morning I was doing my 3 day(on 531) for ohp at 115 and on my 8th rep (a relative struggle for me but I was planning on 9) someone tryed to run under the bar to grab a plate from the side of the squat rack. I literally had to turn sideways on the way down to not smash her face.
    And the best part, she looked at me like I was the biggest piece of shit for almost hitting her, like I was supposed to hold the shit over my head until she grabbed her plate.
    She's lucky I even noticed her in time.
    Last edited by JoshM7; 10-10-2012 at 07:10 AM.

3 day for ohp?

edit:

NM, just checked your log.

I posted in another thread about a smart ass at work that told me yesterday he's been working out for 20yrs so he knows more than me. then I asked him why he looks like a twig.

My buddy worked out with him yesterday and told me that he got stuck under the bar at 135lbs. He then went on to do dumbell presses, half ass. The equivalent of a quarter squat just for DB presses. Then some ab shit. Best part is he couldn't overhead press 55lbs. He started arguing in the gym and my buddy told him how we have stronger trunks because of the heavy weights we lift and how we need strong trunk muscles to support the weight. He argued and said he's got a strong "core".

It's so funny listening to this idiot at work.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by grand666 View Post
    I posted in another thread about a smart ass at work that told me yesterday he's been working out for 20yrs so he knows more than me. then I asked him why he looks like a twig.

My buddy worked out with him yesterday and told me that he got stuck under the bar at 135lbs. He then went on to do dumbell presses, half ass. The equivalent of a quarter squat just for DB presses. Then some ab shit. Best part is he couldn't overhead press 55lbs. He started arguing in the gym and my buddy told him how we have stronger trunks because of the heavy weights we lift and how we need strong trunk muscles to support the weight. He argued and said he's got a strong "core".

It's so funny listening to this idiot at work.
    So have a core-test. Do weighted situps, adding 2.5lbs each time, or whatever you have available. First person to fail has to buy the other lunch & STFU.