starting strength gym
Page 102 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 252921001011021031041121522026021102 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

Talking

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesjitter View Post
    No, I didn't want to spend my whole day reading 93 pages before posting a comment.
    I DID!!! hehehe, this shit is funny as hell. I can't believe I am getting paid right now to do this......gotta love the military...sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    I'm shocked that you've heard of NONE of these people. Some of them have played on rock and pop stations, been in movies, etc.
    I think I recall somebody called Back Street Boys when my kids were teeny. I never listened and, to my girls' credit, neither did they.

I lived through the musical creative explosion of the 60s and 70s. When the 80s happened I pretty much turned off the radio. If you were there you would have done the same. There's some decent stuff coming out now but the 80s and 90s and their off shoots like rap/hip hop just don't do it for me. Throw some Hendrix on for 3 or 4 minutes and tell me there is a remote comparison to most recent stuff. There! Geezer cred.
    Last edited by bob g; 07-17-2010 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sergeant_81 View Post
    You're not getting old, bob. You just have taste
    Quote Originally Posted by OITW View Post
    bob g, you're welcome to lift in my garage anytime.
    They say age brings wisdom and, hopefully, taste. Thanks, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by bob g View Post
    I lived through the musical creative explosion of the 60s and 70s. When the 80s happened I pretty much turned off the radio. If you were there you would have done the same.
    I laughed out loud reading this. I am a fan of Hendrix, Beatles, Clapton, CCR, Skynard, et. al as well, but it doesn't mean that I can't see the creativity and sheer skill and talent of Biggie Smalls, NWA, even Ludacris and Eminem, etc. Its a whole other world of music - perhaps worth understanding even for an older fella.

I laughed out loud reading this. I am a fan of Hendrix, Beatles, Clapton, CCR, Skynard, et. al as well, but it doesn't mean that I can't see the creativity and sheer skill and talent of Biggie Smalls, NWA, even Ludacris and Eminem, etc. Its a whole other world of music - perhaps worth understanding even for an older fella.
    You keep using those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.

What meaning do you think I'm placing on them and what meaning do you think they hold? I think you're confused. An artist that creates something new possess creativity. A person that can perform a task well has skill and if that skill is natural then it is considered a talent. (I previously used talent in a different context referring to the artists themselves, ie "the show director hired new talent this year, some of them are big stars".)

Creativity, skill and talent are certainly demonstrated by early rappers and hiphop artists.

But feel free to enlighten me with your definitions of these words.

Okay back on topic. Nevermind music and english lessons...

Hyooge dude at my gym that has shown me pics of him on stage in a bodybuilding comp grabs a swiss ball and puts it on the bench press so it snugged up between th bench and bar, then he gets another swiss ball and puts it at the end of the bench.

He lays his chest on the first one and holds onto the uprights and grabs the second one between his ankles and starts rapidly lifting it up and down, sorta using the bounce of the one that is under his chest. I laughed a little out loud as I walked by - couldn't even help it. Just try to picture this, you'll laugh too.

I've seen this guy doing deadlift top-pulls off the safety bars using 6 plates per side. I can't imagine what the fuck he was thinking.

See, in a situation like this, there's just no way I could keep my mouth shut. When he finished I would say something like "Oh, I thought you were going to squat that, all I saw was a few curtseys"...
    Problem is the dude was still probably stronger than me. I full squat 245x5. Is there a calculator out there that will tell me my quarter squat 2rm?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeylikey View Post
    Problem is the dude was still probably stronger than me. I full squat 245x5. Is there a calculator out there that will tell me my quarter squat 2rm?
    check his legs. you could see his strength that way.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    check his legs. you could see his strength that way.
    If he does lots of heavy half-squats he may have some ripped quads, but his hammies will be puny.