starting strength gym
Page 11 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 91011121321611115111011 ... LastLast

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    At my University gym, there are three power racks. I was using one alone for squat + press. In the adjacent rack, five tall skinny Indian guys were taking turns curling with the bar. I have nothing against Indian guys, I just mention their ethnicity so you can have a better mental image. It was pretty intense stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by imnotbncre8ive View Post
    How about the efficacy of changing all the ridiculous stuff we see?
    I believe that the chances of this happening is as slim as hoping that the bar will touch their chest when they bench.

If one of these strangers have the guts to go to you and tell you that squatting deep will hurt your knees, what would you do?

Then imagine you, a stranger to them, tells them to squat deeper for hip drive to happen, what would they do?

Both sides feel one is more knowledgeable, so, its up to them if they will listen or not for we know that we are the dominant species.

What it would take to put a dent into the madness:

Airing Rip's dvd on tv on every station for an entire day every week or two for ten years straight.

If one of you happen to be king of a PBS station or something, maybe try chatting to the man about licensing. This is a moral imperative - slightly improving the world and making it less of a shithole, peoples.

Billy Blanks and Anti-pot ads devour us just as well as feebleness, fat-assedness, and meth..

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    I believe that the chances of this happening is as slim as hoping that the bar will touch their chest when they bench.

If one of these strangers have the guts to go to you and tell you that squatting deep will hurt your knees, what would you do?

Then imagine you, a stranger to them, tells them to squat deeper for hip drive to happen, what would they do?

Both sides feel one is more knowledgeable, so, its up to them if they will listen or not for we know that we are the dominant species.
    Yes, this is certainly the deal-breaker. It's possible that some of us might be able to use our superior lifting numbers as 'street cred' like Bill Starr did in one of his articles. But that by itself obviously won't be enough.

The gym at my university is pretty decent. I mean, yeah half the floor space is dedicated to machines, but theres a few squat racks and ~200kg of bumper plates next to an empty patch of floor for cleans and stuff. And yeah there's plenty of people who are training chest or arms every time they're in there. But there's also a ton of people who are squatting (deep), pressing, doing cleans ect.

The stupidest thing I've seen is actually by a good friend of mine who was training with me at the time. He's the skinny guy who wants to get bigger but refuses to eat any decent amount of food for fear of losing his abs. Anyway, every now and then I'd convince him to venture into the power racks and squat with me.

The last time he did, he was watching me do my 3rd set of 5 and decided I was struggling with the weight on the last rep. So to "spot" me he thought the best thing he could do was lift the bar up on ONE side by grabbing it by the end of the collar and lifting up. Quickly. Imagine one side of the bar getting amazingly light all of a sudden and the other side staying heavy. My first thought as i panicked, stumbled and tried to balance myself is that a weight had fallen off, even though i didn't hear anything. Then I looked left and saw him lifting. With a grimace, he looked at me and said "I got it, dont worry" ...

Needless to say I "calmly" explained to him that no one asked for a spot and I'd set the pins on the rack to help me if I needed it (I didn't on that rep anyway, I was standing up just a bit too slow for his taste i guess). I've changed gyms since then, and he hasn't. Last time we talked about training i told him about the 15kg i'd put on my bench and press, 40ish on squat and dl ect. He described his current training to me (suprise suprise not including any squatting). He took the principles of the training I was trying to tell him about - 3 days a week squatting, alternating pulls and presses - and has just applied it to his upper body stuff, with "deadlifts for legs on wednesdays". He told me about all the isolation work he's doing and described how it was better than all the compound stuff for "sculpting and toning", and only mentioned when I directly asked him about his lifts that his bench is exactly the same as it was 4 months ago ....

I've found that as far as unsolicited advice, only two things seem to sink in:
    One is if you are warning someone that he is about to injure bodypart X and explain the mechanics of the proper movement. But he may not get it yet.
    The other is where you actually make it easier for them: like explaining that maxing out every set will lower their TUT and get less work done, destroy their CNS and kill recovery and repair, and that they'd progress more by stopping at the slow rep.
    And even THIS doesn't sink in sometimes, so I've gotten to only answering direct questions. In the meantime, we continue to be amused by people in the same shape they were five years ago, lifting the same weights, giving each other tidbits of wisdom as they "Come on man, ONE MORE REP; you got it" and they assist the weakened lifts.
    Hey, life is for laughing.

I had to share this one. I was at a NYSC getting ready to front squat. There was a guy that must have been preparing for the either the disco or electric slide world championships. He was performing some sort of half-assed lunge with a 15# dumbbell (yes, one). At the bottom, he would reach across his body with the dumbbell. All of this was done directly in the way of the squat rack, which is sacrilege enough. It looked a lot like the second image here http://www.internetgoon.com/2009/11/...ric-slide.html

Quote Originally Posted by DoS View Post
    I had to share this one. I was at a NYSC getting ready to front squat. There was a guy that must have been preparing for the either the disco or electric slide world championships. He was performing some sort of half-assed lunge with a 15# dumbbell (yes, one). At the bottom, he would reach across his body with the dumbbell. All of this was done directly in the way of the squat rack, which is sacrilege enough. It looked a lot like the second image here http://www.internetgoon.com/2009/11/...ric-slide.html
    He may have been trying to do a twisting deadlift. Not a terrible exercise if done properly. Obviously barbell version is far superior but if you are somewhere that doesnt allow deadlifts or if you do not have barbell it has its place.

i saw a crazy one yesterday.

The guy was standing on one leg with the other extended back so that his leg and torso were parallel to the floor. With a dumbbell in each hand (light ones) one arm was extended forward and one backward, again parallel to the floor. Then he slowly swung his arms back and forth.

starting strength coach development program
    So I just returned from a big box retailer of exercise equipment. I asked about a cheap set of Olympic plates and bar (I'm convinced that the CAP plates are the same as York, etc. and would quicly replace the bar), and he began trying to sell me on BowFlex. He told me how this contraption would give me an athletic look. I, who am 5'10", 220lbs, 18%bf, with a blocky build, apparently need to slim down a bit...look more like a Nautilus model I suppose. So anyway, he begins backpedaling, telling me in the simplest terms how to gain muscle and achieve what is apparently the physique I should be aspiring to. Whatever.

My point here is that I had obviously forgotten how uneducated the masses are on exercise in general, and their, most likely, only source of information comes from people like I just encountered. Not only that, but it reminded me that I need to use simpler terms when discussing weight training to the general populace. I suppose that was at least a lesson learned.

Just ranting...