starting strength gym
Page 1309 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 3098091209125912991307130813091310131113191359140918092309 ... LastLast
Results 13,081 to 13,090 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I loled also

Spotted : wide stance half rep Harry lbbs, wearing wraps doing 275. Think he ended up at 385. He was trying to train a skinny kid to do high bar squat. It was not working out for either of them. Called over mr barefoot make a huge production about taking 135 to depth for help. Still not working out for anyone. I'm benching next to them dying to chime in.

Me barefoot is the same guy I hit with a press set cause he's got bit situational awareness. Guess what ? He about ran into this other guy doing barbell lunges in the cage.

Other guy was also adding wraps to do combination of squats to depth and half and quarter squat routine w 225

Man there are characters at night.

There was a guy doing quarter ROM wide grip pullups earlier. Worse, he was wearing a shirt that said "Sex, Drugs, and Dubstep."

I have seen the face of hell.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Depending on the sex, drugs, and dubstep, I could enjoy all three.
    True, this.

I think my gym has the full complement of general oddness going on, but a few things I've seen have stuck out in particular:

One guy repeatedly does 1/8ish ROM Smith squats with a 45 on each side of the bar, sweating, grunting, and holding his face quite literally parallel to the ceiling. I don't know how he has enough flexibility to get his neck back that far, but I cringe for his spine every time I see him lift (he's probably about 45 and looks pretty jacked, so I'm not sure I'll ever comment on it, but I worry a bit for his health).

Another guy, quiet, sits on one of the decline ab benches and does 1/10 ROM at the top and 1/10 ROM at the bottom alternating sets. When I first saw him he was doing bottom 1/10 ROM. This is not what was striking. The entire time he was forcefully pulling a towel over his face. He didn't remove the towel when he rested, though you could hear the heavy breathing through the towel. I assumed he was waiting for someone to come over with a bucket of water and attempt to waterboard him. I still haven't figured that one out...

On the other hand, I've seen some kind of recent influx of people doing 1/4 ROM squats with <150lb. I know I'm not strong yet, but I've had several people laugh at me (generally to a girl who is also there with them) doing my warmups starting with the bar while they lift 135. I get into my work sets while they're quarter squatting 135, I take 285 to depth for reps, rack the bar and just smile at them. None of them have approached me yet, and the look on their faces is priceless.

I can only assume the New Year's rush will bring a massive influx of hilarious behavior.

This makes me want to pay for a month at the local " anytime" for a bro day a week.

Quote Originally Posted by j.flo View Post
    I think my gym has the full complement of general oddness going on, but a few things I've seen have stuck out in particular:

One guy repeatedly does 1/8ish ROM Smith squats with a 45 on each side of the bar, sweating, grunting, and holding his face quite literally parallel to the ceiling. I don't know how he has enough flexibility to get his neck back that far, but I cringe for his spine every time I see him lift (he's probably about 45 and looks pretty jacked, so I'm not sure I'll ever comment on it, but I worry a bit for his health).

Another guy, quiet, sits on one of the decline ab benches and does 1/10 ROM at the top and 1/10 ROM at the bottom alternating sets. When I first saw him he was doing bottom 1/10 ROM. This is not what was striking. The entire time he was forcefully pulling a towel over his face. He didn't remove the towel when he rested, though you could hear the heavy breathing through the towel. I assumed he was waiting for someone to come over with a bucket of water and attempt to waterboard him. I still haven't figured that one out...

On the other hand, I've seen some kind of recent influx of people doing 1/4 ROM squats with <150lb. I know I'm not strong yet, but I've had several people laugh at me (generally to a girl who is also there with them) doing my warmups starting with the bar while they lift 135. I get into my work sets while they're quarter squatting 135, I take 285 to depth for reps, rack the bar and just smile at them. None of them have approached me yet, and the look on their faces is priceless.

I can only assume the New Year's rush will bring a massive influx of hilarious behavior.
    Dang, it sucks that people are making fun if you at the gym. I think most of us start with the bar to warmup. You are right though, a lot of younger guys love to just start at 135 for bench and 1/4 squats.

We had 3 high schoolers join our gym so they could get stronger for football. One of them asked me to look at his squat form. He also showed me a vid where he was squatting 315. All of his reps were really high, and his hips were so tight that he really couldn't hit depth even with the bar. He could, but his back was rounding to get it. I told him to just to squat stretches for a week. Hopefully he comes back and does his squats the right way. The other kid is naturally gifted. He was squatting a little high, but not too bad. When we cleaned it up, he was doing 275 for sets of 8 high bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    Dang, it sucks that people are making fun if you at the gym. I think most of us start with the bar to warmup. You are right though, a lot of younger guys love to just start at 135 for bench and 1/4 squats.
    This reminds me of a guy who asked to work in with me as I was loading 185 during warmups. I asked what he wanted on the bar and he said "I'll just do what you do." By the time I got to my work sets (250-260ish at the time), he was struggling to get 3 quarter-reps.

My guy Ernie turned 33 today, so for a present we gave him a 33 rep squat with 60kg.

Afterwards he felt quite light-headed and had to have a lie-down with his feet in the air...

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    I turn 30 next week, and I will NOT be doing 30 rep squats.
    Turned 31 yesterday, but I most definitely did not do 31 squats. I did do maybe 31 squats total in today's session over lunch. That counts right? lol

starting strength coach development program
    I'm 35, I would die attempting 10 reps. ;-)