starting strength gym
Page 1319 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 3198191219126913091317131813191320132113291369141918192319 ... LastLast
Results 13,181 to 13,190 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by PEBCAK View Post
    So I know this guy on a strength training forum. He says he's a blacksmith, but he doesn't even make swords. Pfft.
    I know, it's sad that I haven't even made one little sword. It's a dark stain on my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    Awesome site Boggs. ]
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    I see no battle axe. My home has been sorely battle-axe deficient for many years, and since we just got our first snowfall of the year yesterday my desire for a battleaxe has grown exponentially.
    One Norwegian 16th century style, type C Bond axe. Along with a couple of tomahawks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by curlrackhog View Post
    Do you see the same thing the week after New Year's? I imagine that can't just be an American phenomenon.
    I'm guessing the start of Aussie summer and New Year's being so close together sort of makes it less prevalent down under.

Quote Originally Posted by WIldPegasus
    I'm guessing the start of Aussie summer and New Year's being so close together sort of makes it less prevalent down under.
    Gyms have a couple of rush times. Down Under it's October, as we come out of winter and the weather warms, people emerge from hibernation with their winter coat. They last 4-8 weeks until Christmas/New Year, when the run of office Christmas parties and visiting relatives starts drawing them away. And they go on holidays. And then it's January, and the first three weeks are quiet.

Do you see the same thing the week after New Year's? I imagine that can't just be an American phenomenon.
    They're here from the last week of January. The first week of their resolution they just sit around wishing. The second week they start looking for a gym. The third week they sign up. It's only in the last week of January they actually do anything.

They're all gone by Valentine's Day.

Gyms always offer deals at these times, which I've never understood - it'll be busy even if you raise prices. It's like Pizza Hut having the $10 all-you-can-eat on Friday night. What's the point? Have it on Monday or Tuesday. Likewise, gyms should offer deals in the dead of winter.

I guess it is to compete with the other gyms in the area rather than to entice people to start. Better to have people sign up at a cheaper rate and get those fees for the year than not I guess!

The past couple of centuries, the fashionable look seems to have trending thinner and thinner, I really hope we're at the trough in the valley of that trend. I've heard grown men in an office environment state that they don't want to get too bulky. It's so frustrating. Yeah, don't get bulky, good call, because if you got bulky people might actually think twice about messing with you. Better to stay rail thin and weigh less than your girlfriend/wife/partner.
    I work in an office in finance and I notice most of the upper execs are thin, tall white guys. However, there are a few guys who are built. They are usually younger and I think they usually look good in a business suit. I think people respect you if you take the time to work on your body and look like you're in shape.
    Last edited by Corrie; 12-10-2013 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
    Gyms always offer deals at these times, which I've never understood - it'll be busy even if you raise prices. It's like Pizza Hut having the $10 all-you-can-eat on Friday night. What's the point? Have it on Monday or Tuesday. Likewise, gyms should offer deals in the dead of winter.
    As long as you make it difficult enough to break the membership contract, you will probably make more money. People are enticed by the low prices at sign-up, which in the US usually amount to a discount off the joining fee, not the monthly membership cost. But gyms make most of their profits off of people who neglect to cancel their memberships after Valentine's Day. So you want to make it easy to join and hard to leave, not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by lwoodroff View Post
    I guess it is to compete with the other gyms in the area rather than to entice people to start. Better to have people sign up at a cheaper rate and get those fees for the year than not I guess!
    That's the theory. However retention is a factor. Signing up a new person requires money spent on advertising, money spent on wages for the person signing them up, money spent on wages for the trainer showing them through things, etc. Once a person's coming regularly and doing it all on their own it costs you nothing to keep them.

Thus, it is better to keep current members than get new ones, where possible.

Quote Originally Posted by tobo View Post
    As long as you make it difficult enough to break the membership contract, you will probably make more money.
    This is true, too. You can keep members by good service, or by making it hard for them to leave. Recently Australia had some legal changes which makes it harder for gyms to hold people to long-term contracts. Thus, having them actually want to stay is becoming more of a factor.

This is part of the greater interest in things like kettlebells and barbells and group fitness classes, rather than signing people up and leaving them stumble through machine shoulder press and walking on the treadmill. If it's effective (KB & BB) or fun (Zumba) people will stay.

This is true, too. You can keep members by good service, or by making it hard for them to leave. Recently Australia had some legal changes which makes it harder for gyms to hold people to long-term contracts. Thus, having them actually want to stay is becoming more of a factor.
    Fucking marsupial commies.

But the people I'm talking to are generally skinnyfat or skinny. When someone comes in at 40% bodyfat there is no cut/bulk dilemma.
    More reasons being fat is better than being skinny

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    More reasons being fat is better than being skinny
    I've enjoyed it (being fat) but, come Sunday, I'm cutting to the 275 class. I WILL break the state squat record!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk