starting strength gym
Page 1368 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 3688681268131813581366136713681369137013781418146818682368 ... LastLast
Results 13,671 to 13,680 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

Jsutt Guest

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by lwoodroff View Post
    I call it "humping the bar", personally... Because that is what it looks like and I had to find a description before I knew the name. I can't unthink it now..
    Like the cable tricep pull down, a.k.a. the "morning wood"

I apologise to the ladies. It's the strangest thing- whenever I do a lying tricep extension, I end up with a raging boner. Every time.

I've just started doing push ups nowadays.

"These findings suggest that health club members have unrealistic expectations about their future attendance."
    - http://emlab.berkeley.edu/~sdellavi/...mp05-04-20.pdf

OMG SCIENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
    "These findings suggest that health club members have unrealistic expectations about their future attendance."
    - http://emlab.berkeley.edu/~sdellavi/...mp05-04-20.pdf

OMG SCIENCE
    See, if only I'd known how to use a computer better when I was 12. Then I could have made these pretty graphs and had my bachelor's before I graduated high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
    Isn't this the entire business model behind the monthly contract/subscription? Get people to overpay and under-use. You make the consumer think of it almost as insurance. Works for cell phone plans, cable/satellite TV, car leases, buffets...

~~~~~

On the gym front, I finally saw one of those all day curlers. When I got to the gym he was curling the bar in the squat rack, then he moved to the preacher curl, and when I was leaving he was doing dumbbell curls. Seems pretty boring. This is atypical at my YMCA as a lot of people go there and do real lifts. Their 3 bars have barely any knurling left and you usually have to work in with someone. So, I say curl on, dudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Paauwe View Post
    Isn't this the entire business model behind the monthly contract/subscription? Get people to overpay and under-use. You make the consumer think of it almost as insurance. Works for cell phone plans, cable/satellite TV, car leases, buffets...
    Exactly. If they thought people would come often, they'd charge them per visit. The monthly payment is because they expect people to sign up and then not come.

Having few people come allows you to sign up more members. If you physically have space for 1,000 people in your gym (50 at any one time since not everyone comes at the same time), and 80% come, then you can sign up 1,250 or so. If 40% come, you can sign up 2,500 people. So you can halve your price and bring in the same income. This is the low-brainpower approach, because if you provide a poor service then people won't come, so hiring staff becomes pretty easy - any 18yo with no skills can be a receptionist or trainer. That's an equipment rental gym, which is why we have these 24 hour unstaffed places for $10 a week popping up here Down Under.

Then there are training gyms. You can bring in more income by actually training people. For example, at our gym, people pay $40/ftnt. If they do personal training they pay $130/ftnt for their 2x30' sessions a week, and their $40/ftnt membership, too. Thus, 3% of the members can provide 10% of the income. Of course not everyone wants or needs one-on-one PT, but for every 1 person who does, there are 4 or so who'd like small group stuff. And you can coach barbells and kettlebells for healthy adults in groups of 3-6 without trouble. So you can have 15% of the members in small group stuff providing 50% of the income.

With an equipment rental gym, you have a shitload of people paying not much, but not coming and not getting results. With a training gym, you have a few people paying a lot, coming regularly and getting results.

But to be able to have a training gym you have to get and keep good staff. Any idiot can teach you a lat pulldown, for squats and cleans you need someone who knows their shit. It's not rocket surgery, you don't need to be brilliant or a champion lifters to coach the basics, but you do need to be better than the typical PT fuckarsing about doing tricep kickbacks on a bosu ball. So running a training gym rather than an equipment rental gym requires more effort and brains on the part of the owner or manager.

Spotted trainer teaching what I can only call a dry erase clean. Person knealing in front of a rectangular dry erase board positioned stretching out in front of the person. Said person has what looked to be one of those cloth slip on booties the cable or hvac people would wear in you house on each hand. They then proceed to stretch out and back cleaning the scribles the trainer put on the board. All with one of those ab roller wheeles 10ft away.

Also on my lest set of DB incline press I always bump the DBs at the top of the rep to kinda keep rythm but on my first a chunk of rubber came of and fell into my mouth as I was inhaling WTF.... Im sure it looked hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaK View Post
    Spotted trainer teaching what I can only call a dry erase clean. Person knealing in front of a rectangular dry erase board positioned stretching out in front of the person. Said person has what looked to be one of those cloth slip on booties the cable or hvac people would wear in you house on each hand. They then proceed to stretch out and back cleaning the scribles the trainer put on the board. All with one of those ab roller wheeles 10ft away.

Also on my lest set of DB incline press I always bump the DBs at the top of the rep to kinda keep rythm but on my first a chunk of rubber came of and fell into my mouth as I was inhaling WTF.... Im sure it looked hilarious.
    Ok, that tears it. I'm now going to make a combo car-wash/gym. I'll get rich yuppies to pay $100 a session for my instruction, and charge other yuppies $100 a car for detailing.

I could care less what people where at the gym but when I finished my workout yesterday and decided to add some pull ups at the pull up rigs, I had to stop and just call it the day when the guy on the other side of the rig was wearing pink socks

starting strength coach development program
    You want someone who doesn't care what they look like at the gym? Check out this loser's ensemble...

50 shades of gray + red shoes.