starting strength gym
Page 1411 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 4119111311136114011409141014111412141314211461151119112411 ... LastLast
Results 14,101 to 14,110 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Paul, seriously I told you the first time I wasn't interested. Stop pm'ing me pictures of your cock.
    Girls aren't doing it for you anymore so we have to try something!

GYM WTF?

this one

or this one?
    with the shoes matching the gloves

Quote Originally Posted by hagrid's dad View Post
    So there's a group of young adults who come in periodically, mid-day, in pairs, with checklist-looking pieces of paper. They stand around in the weight room, mostly futzing around and shooting the shit, making check marks on their checklists, and then they leave.

Today, the pair that arrived first came over to the power cage (in which some thoughtful people had left the most obscenely bent bar in the gym at shoulder height loaded up with 2 plates and change with the wussy pad attached) and grabbed the 15 lb padded "trainer bar" out of the stand. One of them proceeded to do careful, controlled, symmetric half squats in front of the cage. The other watched closely from multiple angles, making notes on his checklist and commenting. (I had my headphones on, so I've no idea what he had to say. It didn't look like he thought that a hip crease a full foot above the knee was a problem.)

Later, three or four pairs hung out in the space between the pull-up bars and the cable station for about half an hour. They appeared to be discussing how to kip, because the only exercise I saw any of them do was when one demonstrated the start of a kip several times, and then did one easy kipping pull-up. A few appeared to play around with the idea of a kipping lat pulldown for a bit. Then they all left.

In my imagination, these guys are students at a local community school working on their ex-phys degrees, and the time they waste in the weight room is the entirety of the "practical" portion of their education.
    They really should make the kindle edition of Starting Strength be on the syllabus of every sports gym instructor training course. I saw how much the charge for instructors' courses posted at my local gym and jeezus you could get MSc modules for less. Its only about $10 for SS.

I use gloves, and I am too old to care what I look like, find it more convenient to chalk, and I'd rather wear my old battered gloves than have a sweaty dumbell on my noggin.
    Take your peer pressure and shove up your ass.

The girl in the picture? I donno, shoes are to women what beer is to men, maybe she forgot her trainers and the shoes were new, so rather than barefoot, shes showing them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    What I find hard to believe is that the shoes would hold up. I see women break heels all the time. I can't imagine how they would hold up to body squats + bar weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    GYM WTF?

or this one?
    with the shoes matching the gloves

Probably inspired by this, but she failed to watch all the way through to the lass at 1:56.....

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    Really? Does anyone at a high level use them? Seems it would be a disadvantage in most cases.
    Yup, it's in the rule book. I don't think I've seen anyone actually use them though, I imagine they would interfere with a hook grip. I was looking up allowable equipment in competitions to see if I could use my ace bandage + Rehband combo.

Quote Originally Posted by yam View Post
    I use gloves, and I am too old to care what I look like, find it more convenient to chalk, and I'd rather wear my old battered gloves than have a sweaty dumbell on my noggin.
    Take your peer pressure and shove up your ass.
    To be fair, I've seen videos of Klokov and Polovnikov both wearing gloves while training. Granted they aren't doing the olympic lifts while wearing them, but I highly doubt the really care what people think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rogers View Post
    To be fair, I've seen videos of Klokov and Polovnikov both wearing gloves while training. Granted they aren't doing the olympic lifts while wearing them, but I highly doubt the really care what people think.
    I've seen klokov doing squats with gloves but to be fair he was sweating like a fat man in a sweet shop

starting strength coach development program
    The reason why it makes no sense to wear gloves is that it makes gripping barbells harder. But for those guys I doubt they have this problem, however their hands will still get a beating so whats the harm in glove wearing?