starting strength gym
Page 1459 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 459959135914091449145714581459146014611469150915591959 ... LastLast
Results 14,581 to 14,590 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Exactly. I would do squats but I don't want my ankles to get too big.

I realized I was contributing to the thread by willfully compressing my expensive runners under squats to the point of ruination, so have wised up and bought adidas shoes, a belt and even some liquid chalk.

Quote Originally Posted by yam View Post
    I realized I was contributing to the thread by willfully compressing my expensive runners under squats to the point of ruination, so have wised up and bought adidas shoes, a belt and even some liquid chalk.
    Forget what you were doing to your runners, we're upset about what you were doing to your squats.

Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    Was saying " it has to do with ankle size" not specific enough ?
    Pretty size ankle size is determined by genetics. Like you can't train it smaller.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2...s-best-runners
    My point was that ankle size isn't the only factor. You can be right and I can be right at the same time here, which is why I said genetics is a catch-all term.

Pretty sure it takes more to become a top runner than small ankles.

Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    Pretty sure it takes more to become a top runner than small ankles.
    Maybe Idlehands point is that if you don't have small ankles, than it will be way more difficult for you to become a top runner. So, having small ankles - a genetic trait - is a necessary factor, although it won't be sufficient of course.

IPB

I got to see this in person for the first time yesterday. Wonder if they saw the video and thought "that's not a bad idea."

Quote Originally Posted by PEBCAK View Post
    I got to see this in person for the first time yesterday. Wonder if they saw the video and thought "that's not a bad idea."

Which one? Pretending to be a truck driver?

Some yahoo was in the gym this morning doing Power Cleans with what I can only call mediocre form.
    On his first set the bar slammed so hard into his chest dude must have a bruise by now.
    On his third set he smashed the bar into his knee and hobbled around for a minute or two.
    Then on his last set, he just seemed to lose the bar on the way up, and it clanged to the ground unimpeded, scaring the pants off most of the globogym regulars.

This asshat was me...

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Maybe Idlehands point is that if you don't have small ankles, than it will be way more difficult for you to become a top runner. So, having small ankles - a genetic trait - is a necessary factor, although it won't be sufficient of course.

IPB
    Yes exactly.

starting strength coach development program
    Have seen a few strange things recently.

There is one power rack in my gym with a chin up bar at the top. The drop ceiling is too close to the bar, so you can't actually do a chin up on it without hitting the ceiling. Last weekend a very tall and lanky guy jumped up and grabbed the chinup bar, then lifted his legs up over the bar at the back of the rack where the plates are stored. He had kicked the ceiling tiles so he then moved his feet to the 1 cross bar that is lower. He then proceeded to do sloppy, flailing body rows to the chin up bar with his back about 6' off the ground and his feet over the back crossmember of the power rack. He did not appear to have the strength to do even one proper body row - if he lost his grip it would not end well.

There is also an older (55-65) lady that does a peculiar workout every Saturday afternoon. She grabs one of the giant situp balls and sits on it, right across from a mirror, bouncing for 15 minutes straight. She is always wearing the same very short shorts and there is altogther too much skin contacting this shared equipment. Her routine is a mix of dancing and simulated sex. Sometimes it is clearly dancing, but others it looks more uh, graphic. We have seen this about 5-6 times, it was no fluke.