starting strength gym
Page 1464 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 464964136414141454146214631464146514661474151415641964 ... LastLast
Results 14,631 to 14,640 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

Jsutt Guest

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    So hot, but so crazy
    Apart from the niggling suspicion that he's had collagen injections in his lips, this guy does occasionally have some good advice about lifting. This is kind of odd though.

agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    So hot, but so crazy
    I can't watch his videos. I lose interest After 30 seconds. He's certifiable

I can't stand how he exaggerates the annunciation of every word with his mouth.

Seen at the gym on Friday: everyone wearing gloves.

My old gym I started work at was demolished and rebuilt, I moved on, but the place reopened recently. They have got a double-sided squat rack with platforms either side, and a three-cell "matrix", which is effectively another 3-4 power racks. A decent number of bumpers etc.

The place looked good, a bit too spacious if anything. The floor around the Matrix is rock-hard which will mess up the barbells eventually, they should have had matting or more platforms. Still, a good mix of equipment overall.

I think there are not really enough weights machines there. Yes, I rarely use them, but that's because I can coach people to use free weights well. If your staff don't have those skills then you need machines to make up for it.

While I was there 3 people used barbells to do partial squats and 2 used kettlebells to do squat-swings rather than swings, nobody corrected them. So they don't have the skills.

It's not the tools, it's the tradesman.
    Last edited by Kyle Schuant; 05-04-2014 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PEBCAK View Post
    Combine these two and you'll see what I've seen. Straps around the bar for bench.
    I have seen guys use straps for the bench press, as a safety measure because they prefer to use "suicide grip".
    I can see the logic in doing so, if you must use a thumbless grip, as this would prevent your trachea from being crushed if the bar slipped from your hands.

M-T

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    my bro gym has seen this for years. The upper body/bodyweight guys do it.
    All right, I'll bite. What is that supposed to accomplish?

M-T

Quote Originally Posted by Músculo-Tonto View Post
    I have seen guys use straps for the bench press, as a safety measure because they prefer to use "suicide grip".
    I can see the logic in doing so, if you must use a thumbless grip, as this would prevent your trachea from being crushed if the bar slipped from your hands.

M-T
    A lifters grip goes around the strap, Tonto-mon. If the bar slips, it means his hands have let go of the straps. He's fucked at that point, straps or not.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    I'm not really sure. I think it's probably a gimmick/circus trick.

I think you can't have sleeves if you do it.
    I do know that these monkey-men make loud noises, and glance around to notice if any X-chromos are taking note.

M-T
    Last edited by Músculo-Tonto; 05-04-2014 at 10:58 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by lewabbit View Post
    A lifters grip goes around the strap, Tonto-mon. If the bar slips, it means his hands have let go of the straps. He's fucked at that point, straps or not.
    Oops, I realize I worded that wrong. Should have said: "crushed, because there's much less chance of the bar slipping off your palm."

Mr. Abbit, I was a boob. Too much weekend festivities. I need to clear my head at the gym - lol.

M-Tonto