starting strength gym
Page 151 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 511011411491501511521531612012516511151 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    That's harsh... he looks like a pokemon player.

Dude doing incline situps. When he gets to the top position he does jazz hands. Had to look twice. Yep, jazz hands.

lol... muscle confusion.

Thumbs up

Today at the gym:

me: mind if I squat over here?
    guy: it's all yours. i've seen you! you gonna squat right?
    me: haha yeah

later:

guy: you not pushing 3 plates yet?
    me: next week hopefully!

This guy is a beast. He is easily the hugest guy in that gym. He was rowing 7 plates (with the other end of the barbell on the corner of the wall and floor). Unfortunately he doesn't train like we do, because he seems to have a lot of potential.

Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    He looks like a CrossFitter...
    He looks like a 5th-grader!

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post

This guy is a beast. He is easily the hugest guy in that gym. He was rowing 7 plates (with the other end of the barbell on the corner of the wall and floor). Unfortunately he doesn't train like we do, because he seems to have a lot of potential.
    There is more than one way to skin a cat. Whatever he has been doing seems to have served him ok, considering he is huge n all. There are guys at the gyms I use who have got by with pure quesswork broscience type training. Stuff like 10x10 on squats as a foundation and of course lots of T bar rows. But it has served them well, they are pretty damn strong. All moving at least 4 plates on the squat, and 5 on the deadlift. These are small asian guys too.

Theres super lean waspy waisted jaimaican guy that comes in doing endless bro style bent rows, t bar rows, curls and clean& press each to failure. But I swear he has the potential to press twice his bodyweight if he just tried. He can reverse curl (bro clean) his bodyweight and press it for more reps than are countable. He trains 2-3 hours to exhaustion each time he comes. Never goes trains any weight he cant rep. But dude is a beast. Like a skinny serge nubret.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    There is more than one way to skin a cat. Whatever he has been doing seems to have served him ok, considering he is huge n all. There are guys at the gyms I use who have got by with pure quesswork broscience type training. Stuff like 10x10 on squats as a foundation and of course lots of T bar rows. But it has served them well, they are pretty damn strong. All moving at least 4 plates on the squat, and 5 on the deadlift. These are small asian guys too.

Theres super lean waspy waisted jaimaican guy that comes in doing endless bro style bent rows, t bar rows, curls and clean& press each to failure. But I swear he has the potential to press twice his bodyweight if he just tried. He can reverse curl (bro clean) his bodyweight and press it for more reps than are countable. He trains 2-3 hours to exhaustion each time he comes. Never goes trains any weight he cant rep. But dude is a beast. Like a skinny serge nubret.
    So he does train hard that's the key. And looks like he trains compound lifts. Sure his form may not be spot on and his training style may not be as efficient as SS but it will inevitably lead to strength gains in the end. For all you know he may have been lifting this way for years hence all the 'potential' he has which is actually a result of years of hard work.

Same with the big guy rowing.

My point is that all physically healthy guys have this potential if they train train heavy compound movements.

And for all we know they may be on gear. Don't mean to sound like a dick, but that's always a possibility and why I don't compare myself to anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Age_of_Aquarius View Post
    So he does train hard that's the key. And looks like he trains compound lifts. Sure his form may not be spot on and his training style may not be as efficient as SS but it will inevitably lead to strength gains in the end. For all you know he may have been lifting this way for years hence all the 'potential' he has which is actually a result of years of hard work.

Same with the big guy rowing.

My point is that all physically healthy guys have this potential if they train train heavy compound movements.

And for all we know they may be on gear. Don't mean to sound like a dick, but that's always a possibility and why I don't compare myself to anyone else.
    Yes, the big guy rowing I mentioned definitely trains hard and is strong. My point is that he should squat/deadlift and put up some really big numbers rather than just lift to get big.

I don't think he is on roids because he's kind of fat, like a powerlifterr, but I don't know if that means anything.

Jim Wendler said in his interview with Rip that beasting that kind of weight with bad form is way more bad ass than doing it with good form. I'm kind of inclined to agree.

starting strength coach development program
    Found a guy I'd given a routine to doing... fucking curls... and fucking cable front raises.

The guy struggles to squat 30kg or put the bar overhead, cannot do a single chinup, and he wants to curl and do front raises. "I want to work on my shoulders, I want a burn," he says. So I dragged him back to the rack and had him do tempo work, five seconds up, five seconds down. He got a burn.

This seems to be a very common thing, people get a routine, are shown through it, and within three sessions they have taken away some exercises and added some others. I guess this is why Rip is so grumpy sometimes.

Fucking curls.