starting strength gym
Page 1649 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 6491149154915991639164716481649165016511659169917492149 ... LastLast
Results 16,481 to 16,490 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    What do you do when you see said half-repper bro doing 225# for 1/6 reps . . AND then he adds a plate . .AND THEN he walks up to you and asks for a spot.
    Or say, similar scenario on bench.
    Oh the awkward gym moment that would ensue...

Quote Originally Posted by hector_garza View Post
    It has been my experience that when you're low bar squatting in the 200's, everyone is a form expert and will immediately tell you how you're about to cripple yourself.

Once you're squatting over 315 for reps the criticism generally ends and random people may start asking you about your squats or for basic lifting advice in general.
    And once you're in the 400's, everyone in the gym stops what they're doing to watch you squat for reps. When your finished catching your breath and you look up, you'll get glares of astonishment or thoughts of stupidity.

In light of Curtzilla's story (you should use "CUTzilla" BTW). What do you do when you see said half-repper bro doing 225# for 1/6 reps . . AND then he adds a plate . .AND THEN he walks up to you and asks for a spot.
    Or say, similar scenario on bench. Do you say, "its too dangerous for you to be doing that. no thanks ... if you want to kill yourself, I'd rather just watch" . . . OR say its some douche bag, bigger/older guy (who should know better) half reppin' 315 on bench and throws on 365 . . .and then asks "spot me bro?". And you know he can't do it correctly, or at all. You can't upright row 365 . . .you know you are going to do somekind of rackpull variant with your balls in his face to save his life . . . so why bother right?
    I usually try to spot them and then give them tips to help do it right. Usually they don't listen, but at least I tried. We have one guy in the gym that asked for a spot on a 205 (or so) decline bench. He said he wanted to hit 6-7 reps. He got the first one by himself, and then I had to help on all the other ones. Afterwards he asked if it was all him, and I just told him no. He did one rep, and then I started pulling more off every single one after that. The first few were probably 10# and by the end it was about 50#.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtzilla View Post
    Oh the awkward gym moment that would ensue...
    NO SHIT example: There's a 'big guy" at my Lifetime Globo gym . . .works up to a decline bench of 405-445 for doubles or triples. Uses wrist straps to lock himself to the bar. Not WRAPS . . .STRAPS!! for pulls. He'll ask me for a spot every no and then. I myself only can like DL 430#. Being a decline bench, if anything is going to happen, he's gonna die. Plain and simple. Never had to even assist the guy with a rep, but he grinds them out slow though. Knows his limits. Trying to figure out a nice way to say, "Don't want to see you die; the straps are stupid; this whole exercise is dumb" . . . while not trying to piss anyone off . . .egos, etc
    Last edited by MBasic; 02-09-2015 at 12:53 PM. Reason: no shit; was typing my 'decline story' while Callador was posting his

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    I usually try to spot them and then give them tips to help do it right. Usually they don't listen, but at least I tried. We have one guy in the gym that asked for a spot on a 205 (or so) decline bench. He said he wanted to hit 6-7 reps. He got the first one by himself, and then I had to help on all the other ones. Afterwards he asked if it was all him, and I just told him no. He did one rep, and then I started pulling more off every single one after that. The first few were probably 10# and by the end it was about 50#.
    Back when I had to deal with the gym bros, I'd always explain my rules for spotting when they asked, and that included saying that I wasn't helping them with reps. Something like, 'I'm not touching the bar until you say to, or I see the bar start moving downwards. Then I'm racking it.'

NO SHIT example: There's a 'big guy" at my Lifetime Globo gym . . .works up to a decline bench of 405-445 for doubles or triples. Uses wrist straps to lock himself to the bar. Not WRAPS . . .STRAPS!! for pulls. He'll ask me for a spot every no and then. I myself only can like DL 430#. Being a decline bench, if anything is going to happen, he's gonna die. Plain and simple. Never had to even assist the guy with a rep, but he grinds them out slow though. Knows his limits. Trying to figure out a nice way to say, "Don't want to see you die; the straps are stupid; this whole exercise is dumb" . . . while not trying to piss anyone off . . .egos, etc
    While silly, if anything, the straps probably make it safer. The bar's not going to slip out of his hands with straps, now is it?

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot I know a guy who does this because he's missing some of the anatomy in his hand that allows him to grip anything with his thumb.
    Last edited by hollismb; 02-09-2015 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    And once you're in the 400's, everyone in the gym stops what they're doing to watch you squat for reps. When your finished catching your breath and you look up, you'll get glares of astonishment or thoughts of stupidity.
    And you get the pleasure of robbing the bros of all the 45s!

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    And you get the pleasure of robbing the bros of all the 45s!
    Please take as many as possible from the Smith machine. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    You get even more of those strange looks when you have to dump 370 onto the safeties.

Quote Originally Posted by turnip View Post
    You get even more of those strange looks when you have to dump 370 onto the safeties.
    You mean gently place 370 down on the safeties, I hope.

Edit: never mind, Australia. Let's try again

You mean gently place 370 up on the safeties

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    You mean gently place 370 down on the safeties, I hope.

Edit: never mind, Australia. Let's try again

You mean gently place 370 up on the safeties
    he's talking KG Adam. you know, like everyone else in the world does....