starting strength gym
Page 1799 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 7991299169917491789179717981799180018011809184918992299 ... LastLast
Results 17,981 to 17,990 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I saw some use a bosu ball to do a medicine ball goblet squat on at my university gym, dead serious.

Quote Originally Posted by ithryn View Post
    Looks comfortable.

I think that's technically a Swiss ball chair, but still as useless since with the legs and back it's no longer unstable, so just an uncomfortable chair.

(video)

Does the video tag even work anymore? It doesn't seem to on mobile Chrome but does work on my laptop, unless I'm doing something wrong.

I was using a swiss ball/exercise ball as a chair in my home office for a fair while. The sustained level of near hyper-extension of my lower spine required to achieve balance was not wonderful. Probably set me off on my "oh noes - I have the anterior pelvic tilts" phase of my 'personal wellness journey of investigation' ™ into the back pain I've had on and off for as long as my patchy and substance challenged autobiographical memory has bothered keeping records.

Now - having eschewed a structuralist approach to chronic pain I just make sure I get the fuck off my ass more regularly, and pull/squat as much weight as I can handle. My back is content making me frequently uncomfortable in response to either effort or sloth, so at least we know where we stand - going forward. Into the future. Proactively. In that modality.
    Last edited by Toasterleavings; 08-01-2015 at 08:45 PM.

A middle aged man and his wife (I assume). He instructs her on dumbbell bench press. He puts on a four inch belt and gloves, picks up the olympic bar, moves it, puts a bench in front of the squat rack and does triceps kick backs (badly) with an 8kg weight. He went on to do a load of other lightweight stuff, all with the belt on.

Judging by the ages and probable relationship, these people have already added to the gene pool!

Mobility Bro . . . "mobro?"
    Doing somekind of hip thrust squeeze the checks move.

At Lifetime, we DO HAVE two pair of good-girl-bad-girl-machines (two of two different brands).

Someone explain this to me, aren't the weights and the bands cancelling eachother out?
    Note weighted vest . . . .
    B.Contrarez would be so impressed/pleased

When I see people doing this sort of stuff (never seen anyone do that to be fair) I ask them what they're training just to see if they can actually explain in anyway that makes a modicum of sense.

Today was especially rich fodder for this thread. Since I don't usually go to the gym on Monday mornings, maybe there's something special about them that brings out the idiots. Nothing truly spectacular, but still worth mentioning. In no particular order: Saw a guy doing curls in the Smith machine. Since he was standing right next to the bar as you would with a barbell curl, he had to contort his body back and forth to complete the reps. Later saw a lady in that same smith machine doing those leaning squats, where rather than putting your center of gravity under the bar you just lean back into it in such a manner that if the bar wasn't there to stop you you'd flop onto the floor. While I was in the power rack, I had a lady set up shop next to me. She moved over two (2) flat benches next to me and lined them up. Taking a 25 pound plate, she then climbed up on the benches and started doing squats with it held in front of her down between her legs. To her credit the bottom of the plate did go a few inches below the soles of her shoes, but that could have been just as easily fixed by using a 25 pound dumbbell, or simply holding the stupid plate a little bit higher. I also watched a guy come up to one of the squat racks (The two in my gym have fixed safeties), put his hands on one of the safeties and his feet on the other, and attempt to do dips. He gave up after about 30 seconds because the distance between the safeties was too short. Just to prove it was no fluke, he came back later and curled in that same squat rack.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceland View Post
    Today was especially rich fodder for this thread. Since I don't usually go to the gym on Monday mornings, maybe there's something special about them that brings out the idiots. Nothing truly spectacular, but still worth mentioning. In no particular order: Saw a guy doing curls in the Smith machine. Since he was standing right next to the bar as you would with a barbell curl, he had to contort his body back and forth to complete the reps. Later saw a lady in that same smith machine doing those leaning squats, where rather than putting your center of gravity under the bar you just lean back into it in such a manner that if the bar wasn't there to stop you you'd flop onto the floor. While I was in the power rack, I had a lady set up shop next to me. She moved over two (2) flat benches next to me and lined them up. Taking a 25 pound plate, she then climbed up on the benches and started doing squats with it held in front of her down between her legs. To her credit the bottom of the plate did go a few inches below the soles of her shoes, but that could have been just as easily fixed by using a 25 pound dumbbell, or simply holding the stupid plate a little bit higher. I also watched a guy come up to one of the squat racks (The two in my gym have fixed safeties), put his hands on one of the safeties and his feet on the other, and attempt to do dips. He gave up after about 30 seconds because the distance between the safeties was too short. Just to prove it was no fluke, he came back later and curled in that same squat rack.

Curlz in the smith machine is a special kind of stupid although the leaning squat thing actually probabaly saves the knees, I would think. Although it is pretty useless in general, seems all the PT's at NYSC teach it that way