starting strength gym
Page 1818 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 8181318171817681808181618171818181918201828186819182318 ... LastLast
Results 18,171 to 18,180 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by ud2o View Post
    Guy farmer's walking indoor track w/ neon green plastic coated dumbbells, probably 2.5 or 3 lbs. Mixing in overhead presses and upright rows every 250 feet or so. He did this for probably twenty minutes.
    Heavyhands. An effective, yet idiotic looking, method for cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyduck View Post
    Heavyhands. An effective, yet idiotic looking, method for cardio.
    Really? I stand corrected...it looked counterproductive, if anything...

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Further, knowing the effects of PEDs and whatnot might be useful for those who are not using them, since people will probably assume they do if they have muscles. The typical moron assumes anyone, male or female, that looks like they lift and has decent vascularity is on TEH ROIDS.
    All this talk of PEDs makes me wonder how popular they are around here. It never really came to mind before. I don't really care, but I can't stand people who pretend to be natural and are really pumped full of all sorts of shit.

When is it safe to assume that someone is on PEDs? This is a different question from when it is OK to act on such an assumption, sanction, shame, tisk-tisk, or whatever. The standards here are much higher. I simply wonder about mere belief. We might phrase it: When is it rational to believe that someone is on PEDs? We can probably distinguish this from a few other question, but let's just leave it there.

Here's a suggestion: The WeighTrainer - Your Maximum Muscular Bodyweight and Measurements

The Fat Free Mass Index article on crossfit seems to have gone missing. All I can find is this:

Steroids And CrossFit? | 70's Big

. . .

If I see someone who is bigger and leaner than Steeve Reeves, then, shit, I can't help think that it's highly probable that they are on juice. There are strength outliers too, people far off the chart, people who keep progressing incredibly quickly. They are just as strange. In either case, I guess it's hard to know whether someone is a true genetic freak or a PED user or both. What's more probable? I dunno.

On the PED topic, I believe FFMI is only accurate at super low body fat levels, and isn't really accurate the higher body fat you possess. This intuits since the method was developed using contest shape bodybuilders, and that to lose fat, you lose some muscle, just like when you put on muscle you will put on some fat. I commented on this in Feigenbaum's forum for verification yesterday, but he hasn't updated the posts yet.

I don't use, the wife told me not to even think about it when I started training. I would probably experiment with basic stuff otherwise, since I believe they can be used perfectly safely if you don't go full retarded with it.

I don't know that you could ever really know if anyone is using or if they are just a freak outside of some "well no duh" people.

Who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBeech View Post
    About that steroids poster. I know someone who is determined to become a well known and respected face in American weightlifting. I take an interest in PED's and one day bring it up in conversation. He tells me he knows nothing about them and has no interest in learning anything about them as they have no bearing on his sport of....weightlifting.
    I may be wrong, but it seems that regardless if one is interested, knows anything whatsoever, or has taken PEDs, if they compete, then this is the correct response to any random person that brings them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    Who cares?
    Those who care about honesty, integrity, fairness and shit like that. As for the recreational user who doesn't compete, coach, or try to act like some kind of natural role model, then nobody except their loved ones probably cares.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Too many variables. That's why most people, being lazy, err on the side of roids.
    Who's lazy...the person using roids as a substitute for hard work or the person accusing the people who are doing the hard work of 'roiding?

Equally applicable and I think both are correct but I just want to make sure I get the point you're making.

FWIW...I don't really care if people use steroids or not...that said, I'm not doing this for competition. I understand why people who do take this stuff very seriously though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    On the PED topic, I believe FFMI is only accurate at super low body fat levels, and isn't really accurate the higher body fat you possess. This intuits since the method was developed using contest shape bodybuilders, and that to lose fat, you lose some muscle, just like when you put on muscle you will put on some fat. I commented on this in Feigenbaum's forum for verification yesterday, but he hasn't updated the posts yet.
    Interesting. The crossfitters are lean, but not body builder lean. So you think maybe on the off season a Steeve Reeves type could have achieved a Khalipa level FFMI or 28 or so? I need to read into this.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsmuts View Post
    Interesting. The crossfitters are lean, but not body builder lean. So you think maybe on the off season a Steeve Reeves type could have achieved a Khalipa level FFMI or 28 or so? I need to read into this.
    That's my understanding. I've nearly reached 25 already after only 2.5 years of lifting (only 2 years of actual lifting), and that's with having 2 kids during that time. If I wanted to be 6% body fat, I would clearly not have as much muscle mass.

So yeah, in short, I think if you walk around 12-18% you can have a noticeably higher FFMI.