starting strength gym
Page 1859 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 8591359175918091849185718581859186018611869190919592359 ... LastLast
Results 18,581 to 18,590 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My branch of Lifetime Fitness installed 5 of the half-rack/platforms that I’ve read about here, removing one of the two power racks and the squat rack to make room. Of course, they kept the two Smith Machines. This doubled the numbers of places to squat, which I thought would be a good thing. In the past, I hardly ever had to wait for a rack in which to squat so I figured I would never have to wait now. In practice, nearly every station is in use when I get to the gym. The popularity of both rows and shrugs has increased by 10x. Curling in a rack was almost nonexistent, but it’s now regular. I saw one guy ask a girl, who was squatting decent weight with decent form, how many sets she had left and then wait impatiently at the end of the platform until she was done, so he could curl 65lbs on a platform. I saw another guy benching on a platform in front of 5 empty bench stations. Squatting has only increased slightly. Deadlifting seems like it might be down a bit. Crossfit-types who liked to drop the bumpers seem to have disappeared (maybe because the platforms don’t make as much noise when weights are dropped?). The net effect is that it’s now actually harder to squat with twice as many places in which to do it.

Hipster bro was back punishing himself with deadlifts last night. Tried to pull 455 with his typical round back and hips below his knees. I've not seen legs wobble so much since that dog who got stuck trying to shit out a peach pit.

Quote Originally Posted by mev20 View Post
    My branch of Lifetime Fitness installed 5 of the half-rack/platforms . . . .The net effect is that it’s now actually harder to squat with twice as many places in which to do it.
    Yes, same thing here. I see more deadifting (w/ bad form) than ever tho.

Also, people will set-up their full circuit thing at one of those stations, bring over a myriad of implements.
    They throw on the 10# bumpers, or 25's, rarely 45's. do a set of 10 light, easy, high squats.
    move on the KB swings, then step-ups on a box, some-other band pull thingy, push ups or DB movements.
    They do all this shit on the platforms.

They could do this anywhere. And just used a 55# pre-formed barbell.

Or they do some real light RDL's or shit . . . when they could just do those on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    Also, people will set-up their full circuit thing at one of those stations, bring over a myriad of implements.
    They throw on the 10# bumpers, or 25's, rarely 45's. do a set of 10 light, easy, high squats.
    move on the KB swings, then step-ups on a box, some-other band pull thingy, push ups or DB movements.
    They do all this shit on the platforms.
    Although I haven’t seen this myself yet (it’s only been two weeks), it would definitely explain all of the flotsam and jetsam surrounding the platform I was using last night (medicine ball things with handles, ab roller, a couple of kettlebells, small plyo box, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by mev20 View Post
    My branch of Lifetime Fitness installed 5 of the half-rack/platforms that I’ve read about here, removing one of the two power racks and the squat rack to make room. Of course, they kept the two Smith Machines. This doubled the numbers of places to squat, which I thought would be a good thing. In the past, I hardly ever had to wait for a rack in which to squat so I figured I would never have to wait now. In practice, nearly every station is in use when I get to the gym. The popularity of both rows and shrugs has increased by 10x. Curling in a rack was almost nonexistent, but it’s now regular. I saw one guy ask a girl, who was squatting decent weight with decent form, how many sets she had left and then wait impatiently at the end of the platform until she was done, so he could curl 65lbs on a platform. I saw another guy benching on a platform in front of 5 empty bench stations. Squatting has only increased slightly. Deadlifting seems like it might be down a bit. Crossfit-types who liked to drop the bumpers seem to have disappeared (maybe because the platforms don’t make as much noise when weights are dropped?). The net effect is that it’s now actually harder to squat with twice as many places in which to do it.
    There are two LTF's in my area that have installed these. Pretty much the same thing as you describe. At least they now have round plates available somewhere in the gym. The only standard-knurl-pattern bars they have are "reserved" for these half-rack platforms also, with a sign that says so. So beside the hex plates, LTF's also have bars w/ ~ 15 1/2" between knurl and ~ 28 1/2" between knurl-marks, and you have to use these for benching, or pressing inside the full racks. So you have to break out the tape measure for bench and press if you want to be consistent.

I think the hex plates were intentional to discourage heavy work from the floor, but the non-standard bars I've never been able to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJF View Post
    There are two LTF's in my area that have installed these. Pretty much the same thing as you describe. At least they now have round plates available somewhere in the gym. The only standard-knurl-pattern bars they have are "reserved" for these half-rack platforms also, with a sign that says so. So beside the hex plates, LTF's also have bars w/ ~ 15 1/2" between knurl and ~ 28 1/2" between knurl-marks, and you have to use these for benching, or pressing inside the full racks. So you have to break out the tape measure for bench and press if you want to be consistent.

I think the hex plates were intentional to discourage heavy work from the floor, but the non-standard bars I've never been able to figure out.
    I mostly train in my garage, but I've been tempted once or twice myself to bring a tape measure to Lifetime, given the odd knurling marks on the "old" bars there. If your LTFs have signage at those new half-platforms about those "new", good bars, they are at least moving in the right direction of kind of/sort of policing those areas. As others have pointed out, those half-platforms draw comedy material like flies to dogshit.

This is probably more on the amazing side, but I did have to laugh. There is a new guy that joined our gym. He is probably 5'5" or so, but he is built like a brick shit house. Without lifting for years, he managed a 365 bench and missed 405. Well I guess he wanted to try and start deadlifting, and he pulled up to 495. He almost had it, but he said he couldn't hold onto the bar with his small hands. I started talking about different grips and he looked puzzled. He asked me why someone would use a mixed or hook grip. It was then that I realized that he had almost locked out 495 using double overhand. I guess his grip strength wasn't that bad after all. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    This is probably more on the amazing side, but I did have to laugh. There is a new guy that joined our gym. He is probably 5'5" or so, but he is built like a brick shit house. Without lifting for years, he managed a 365 bench and missed 405. Well I guess he wanted to try and start deadlifting, and he pulled up to 495. He almost had it, but he said he couldn't hold onto the bar with his small hands. I started talking about different grips and he looked puzzled. He asked me why someone would use a mixed or hook grip. It was then that I realized that he had almost locked out 495 using double overhand. I guess his grip strength wasn't that bad after all. :-)
    At least I'm taller than that guy. And I can keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    I am jealous of his strength, but not of how he'll feel tomorrow...

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, I have no idea why he would want to max out on his first week of lifting. I saw him do the bench, and he hit a 495 squat that was pretty high (no belt though), but lower than a lot of the gym bros you see. I didn't see the deadlift, since I got there after they did it. But still, that is some strong grip strength. I have bigger hands, and I don't think I could pull 500 double overhand.