starting strength gym
Page 1911 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 9111411181118611901190919101911191219131921196120112411 ... LastLast
Results 19,101 to 19,110 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by poser View Post
    Went to the Globo gym today to do a conditioning workout on the rower. To my horror, the Concept2 rowers were all gone. In there stead, were a set of Matrix brand rowers. Rower : Matrix Fitness Equipment

This thing is a hunk of shit. I could not get it adjusted right, the glide has friction in it and the computer is not calibrated correctly. It also makes a "swoosh" sounds like you are rowing in water on every pull. Furthermore, you cannot program the computer for intervals, only a "race" in increments of 500meters. I complained to the staff and was told that the Matrix rep gave them a deal for having a 100% Matrix cardio room.
    Dude!! The LA Fitness by my work pulled the same shit, they used to have C2 rowers and replaced them all with these POS Matrix rowers. They suck royally. The handle sucks, the rope is wearing down already, and the screen is getting lighter.

What's funny is, The Matrix rowers cost a couple of hundred dollars more than the Concept2.

And they don't even have "Rogue" plastered on all sides. . . .

Has anyone used a water rower? I think they are made in RI. And they sell them at the MOMA store???

https://www.momastore.org/museum/mom...-1_26715_11501

Quote Originally Posted by iamsmuts View Post
    And they don't even have "Rogue" plastered on all sides. . . .

Has anyone used a water rower? I think they are made in RI. And they sell them at the MOMA store???

https://www.momastore.org/museum/mom...-1_26715_11501
    I rowed crew for a couple years in college and although I was never any better than average I have spent enough time on rowing machines to have a somewhat informed opinion.

I own a WaterRower which I was lucky enough to find for 325 or 350 off craigslist a few years back. I like it a lot - it's MUCH quieter than a Concept 2, provides a similar experience, and is very well built. It also looks a lot nicer. It would definitely be my choice for sitting down and pounding out 30 minutes of steady state cardio.

For the kind of balls-out HIIT conditioning workouts that very strong people like to do around here the Concept2 might be a little better since the air resistance is a little more instantaneous in its response and has less inertia than the water.

Ironically we did probably 95% low and slow when I was in college on the Concept2s and hardly any HIIT....

Quote Originally Posted by brkriete View Post
    I rowed crew for a couple years in college and although I was never any better than average I have spent enough time on rowing machines to have a somewhat informed opinion.

I own a WaterRower which I was lucky enough to find for 325 or 350 off craigslist a few years back. I like it a lot - it's MUCH quieter than a Concept 2, provides a similar experience, and is very well built. It also looks a lot nicer. It would definitely be my choice for sitting down and pounding out 30 minutes of steady state cardio.

For the kind of balls-out HIIT conditioning workouts that very strong people like to do around here the Concept2 might be a little better since the air resistance is a little more instantaneous in its response and has less inertia than the water.

Ironically we did probably 95% low and slow when I was in college on the Concept2s and hardly any HIIT....
    Do you have an opinion on the Matrix rower linked above? (If you don't have an informed opinion, can you just be extremely critical of it so I feel validated [emoji15] )

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    New guy at the gym was chatting up my bro about westside and whatever silly nonsense when all of a sudden both of his injection points blossom blood onto his t-shirt. Oopsie. Maybe next time he will slap a bandaid on.
    This is awesome. This shit is gaining traction at my gym. The main crew who used to talk about it theoretically quite a bit -- and who said they might cycle this winter -- have gone curiously and 100% silent on the subject. It's funny, because these are guys who haven't tried serious protein supplementation yet (too much hassle), and they still aren't tracking food intake carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    New guy at the gym was chatting up my bro about westside and whatever silly nonsense when all of a sudden both of his injection points blossom blood onto his t-shirt. Oopsie. Maybe next time he will slap a bandaid on.
    Did he claim it was the Stigmata because of Christmas and stuff? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by LizF View Post
    Hahahahahaha welcome to the hell women with big thighs have lived through for decades! There's something to be said for skirts when the weather allows it, except then you have to take measures to prevent chafing.

In all seriousness, we haven't really figured out how to fix this in formal pants, though there's a shop that'll fix the blown-out thighs on your jeans: Denim Repair - Denim Doctor - Repair Jeans - Denim Therapy NYC

As for that article, again, welcome to women's hell -- I couldn't even get especially outraged, because it just sounds like every single women's fitness article I've ever read. (Which is not to say I'm not mad -- it's just that I'm basically this mad all the time.) That poor woman setting up to deadlift with a fully rounded back and her ribs sticking out is a new one, though.

Notice that they've put in a disclaimer about not doing this diet/routine for more than two months at the outside -- which means they know damn well this is unhealthy and unsustainable, but God fucking forbid women have big thighs!

But thick thighs are sexy on a woman not a man, so its more acceptable

This was a new one for me. Guy sets himself up face down on one of those incline sit up benches and then proceeds to climb up and slide down a pole with his hands... tough to explain, easier to show... excuse my shitty press in the center of frame
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWj_S0SulZs

starting strength coach development program
    I've seen guys use a pole to sort of assist with glute ham curls. That looks like some silly version of isometric ab stuff maybe ?