starting strength gym
Page 1917 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 9171417181718671907191519161917191819191927196720172417 ... LastLast
Results 19,161 to 19,170 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by poser View Post
    Anyway, a trainer heads my way. I'm sure I'm about to get in trouble, be he says that I have great form and he wishes he would see more people deadlifting. Yep, a trainer that condones deadlifting. Unheard of.
    I had a similar experience many years ago, way before getting hold of SS. I had never seen anyone deadlift so watched a 15 second video on the net. Basically it said bend over and stand up while lifting the weight, ok, sounds simple enough!

I somehow managed to get 2 wheels each side and some of my form included: starting the 'lift' by having the bar on pins at mid-thigh height so I didn't have to pickup the bar from the floor, bouncing the bar off the floor each rep, no idea where my back was and other silly shit. So a trainer walks up to me one day and tells me I have perfect deadlift form, looking back with what I know now I cringe for both of us.

Saw a good one today. Guy in head to toe Vanderbilt attire
    Like the famous gilded age rich family? They have a clothing line? What is it, cravats and spats with illuminati symbols on it?!

Quote Originally Posted by Skander View Post
    Like the famous gilded age rich family? They have a clothing line? What is it, cravats and spats with illuminati symbols on it?!
    [emoji2] yes, like the Gilded age aristocracy family. However, in America, they sunk their wealth into trafficking alcohol during the prohibition years and started a private University in Nashville, TN using their namesake. It costs about $60,000 a year to go to school there and the team mascot is "The Commodores." The average Vandy undergrad falls into one or more of these 3 categories: Spoiled, Wealthy or Smart.

If you workout in Vandy attire from head to toe, you're either the biggest douchebag fan in the world, or you played on one of their teams during college and prefer to demonstrate your collegiate prowess by performing unremarkable range of motion chin-ups while sporting your alma mater training gear. Or, possibly, he was actually a member of the Vanderbilt family, but that seems like a long shot.

So at my globo gym. they like to do over head squats (trainer teaching) in the rack under the safeties.
    This pic is especially funny, 'casue one day that same trainer was working out (on their own time) with two other trainers . . . doing the same thing. The one trainer (not the guy in blue) lost balance, and dropped the bar into the safeties form overhead. Massive crash sound, prob damaged the bar.
    I'd imagine if you held on for an instant too long, you'd crush your hand/fingers too.
    Point is, THAT DUDE standing right there, and he has seen it happen before (to an 'experienced' trainer to boot ! ) . . .

I guess they do this cause they use the plates under heels . . .and maybe they don't want to place them way back to rear part of the platform, and don't want to take several steps back to line up. But that's where your SUPPOSED to drop the bar/bail . . . on the extended platform part. Extra funny: the gym just swapped out the hard drop surfaces to a spongier rubber shit . . . THEY ARE MADE FOR DROPPING / OLY STUFF / ETC.

Its really stupid (back to the pic below) . . .it was obvs the lady's first time, eventually she worked up to 10's and 5's on a lady's bar . . .real shakey all over the place tho, and up on her toes (heels coming off plates). . . .was waiting for disaster.

I was thinking of saying something to the guy . . . like if the lady went to get a drink or something (as to not 'show him up' in front of the client) . . .but it never happened.
    Last edited by MBasic; 12-31-2015 at 10:23 AM.

However, in America, they sunk their wealth into trafficking alcohol during the prohibition years and started a private University in Nashville, TN using their namesake.
    The school was founded back in the 1870s off of the money made on railroads and shipping. I didn't think the family was seriously involved in smuggling during prohibition (they were already very wealthy @ that point). This is a good book about the Vanderbilt patriarch.

I guess I'm back.

Unfortunately, my new gym will be in my home so I won't get to see stuff nearly as entertaining. I can live vicariously through you all.

Default Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    The school was founded back in the 1870s off of the money made on railroads and shipping. I didn't think the family was seriously involved in smuggling during prohibition (they were already very wealthy @ that point). This is a good book about the Vanderbilt patriarch.
    When I lived in Nashville, it was always rumored that they were heavily involved in the prohibition era trafficking, but that could easily be blown out of proportion. Perhaps their extensive transportation network was used for trafficking without their involvement. Or... Maybe all of the trafficking money went directly to the illuminati fund[emoji857]

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    S
    I'd imagine if you held on for an instant too long, you'd crush your hand/fingers too.
    I have seen it happen. I can never unsee it.

Quote Originally Posted by blugold View Post
    I have seen it happen. I can never unsee it.
    yes . . . they had an opportunity to "do the math" on this one.
    The weight was light, and when she done with a set, she sort of racked it to the front (wide grip) . . .then walked into the J-hook and could clearly see her hands were gonna get crushed in the J hooks. I thought to myself: "yes, and the safeties underneath are the same width . . .so therefore . . ."

So then she fuddles around withe the bar, narrowing her grip, and gets its in there.

The trainer then proceeds to show her with the PVC pipe, how to drop and catch it on the traps, and then brings his hands in . . .which is fine and all, but lady has a cute ponytail, and I've see bad thing happen there as well (pinching, or after the trap-catch the bar rolls a bit down, winding up the hair).

Also, now that I think about it, her grip pretty wide (to get completely crushed in J's), maybe even wider than mine (and I have pretty long arms) . . . and she was somewhat short. Now looking at the pic I posted, the bar is real close to her head.

. . .oh and toes straight forward too .. .

These guys suck

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    yes . . . they had an opportunity to "do the math" on this one.
    The weight was light, and when she done with a set, she sort of racked it to the front (wide grip) . . .then walked into the J-hook and could clearly see her hands were gonna get crushed in the J hooks. I thought to myself: "yes, and the safeties underneath are the same width . . .so therefore . . ."

So then she fuddles around withe the bar, narrowing her grip, and gets its in there.

The trainer then proceeds to show her with the PVC pipe, how to drop and catch it on the traps, and then brings his hands in . . .which is fine and all, but lady has a cute ponytail, and I've see bad thing happen there as well (pinching, or after the trap-catch the bar rolls a bit down, winding up the hair).

Also, now that I think about it, her grip pretty wide (to get completely crushed in J's), maybe even wider than mine (and I have pretty long arms) . . . and she was somewhat short. Now looking at the pic I posted, the bar is real close to her head.

. . .oh and toes straight forward too .. .

These guys suck
    It is astonishing. But they're "certified"